39 Health Benefits of Sun Meditation (#Surya Yoga Experiences)
People has been worshiping the sun as deities since ancient times since the sun provides many benefits and possess many properties that are useful to humankind. The sun is the source of light, warmth, energy, and contributes to human life in a multitude of aspects such as farming, etc.
Originating from the sun-worshiping practice, the act of meditating while bathed in sunlight is now a common practice found all over the world. There are several sun-meditating techniques that are still used in modern times, such as Surya Namaskar and Sooryayog. Surya Namaskar is a series of yoga warm up routine that is developed in the modern 20th century that done while bathed in sunlight. Sooryayog is an ancient sun-meditating technique that involves gazing directly at the sun for a few minutes.
Both meditation technique offers a lot of health benefits, regardless of how many of them are scientifically proven. Since both of them requires the practitioner to be fully exposed to sunlight, that itself already provides a healthy benefit. Here we will try to explain what are the health benefits of sun meditation and its each method.
Sun salutation or Surya namaskar was developed in India around 20th century. It involves performing a series of yoga postures or asanas during the sunrise or sunset. Normally, there are 12 asanas in total, but there are many variations available.
1. Prevent Breast Cancer – Some experts have claimed that using sunbathing and nutrition has proved useful in halting cancer growth. They even could reverse a metastasized cancer using this technique.
2. Kills Bacteria – Niels Finsen, the 1903 Nobel Prize winner study the use of chemical light rays to create medicines and cure diseases. He successfully treated a disease known as lupus vulgaris using a concentrated sunlight radiation.
- Lyme Disease Symptoms
- Benefits of Lactobacillus Acidophilus Bacteria
- Symptoms of Streptococcus Bacteria Infections
3. Protect Against Skin Disorders – Sunlight propagates ultraviolet rays which have some beneficial effects such as protecting your skin against skin disorders such as acne, eczema, psoriasis, and fungal infections.
4. Sunlight is Rich in Vitamin D – Sunlight exposure help creates vitamin D in the human body. This is very useful, especially for babies. As we all know, vitamin D promotes bone growth and health, and good bone growth could lead to a taller body and stronger bones.
Related: Benefits of Oxygen
6. Cleanse Blood Vessels – Some medical journal showed that sun exposure improves the condition of people diagnosed with atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis is a hardening or narrowing of the arteries which could block or hamper the blood flow from and to your heart.
Related: High Blood Pressure Treatments
7. Lower Blood Pressure – Just a single exposure of sun-ray could significantly lower the blood pressure in your body.
8. Lowers Cholesterol – Experts said that sunlight converts high cholesterol in the blood into steroid hormones and the sex hormones we need for reproduction.
9. Improve Immune System – Sun exposure increases the production of white blood cells or lymphocytes. As we all know, the white blood cells are our primary defenders against infection and disease. So, exposure to a sunlight regularly could help improving your immunity.
10. Cure Depression – Sunlight deprivation may cause a seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a form of depression. It is more common in winter where people travels outside less due to the cold temperature, but also common in people who work long hours in office buildings.
Related: Symptoms of Depression
Sunlight Exposure Advantages for Health
Drenching your body in sunlight, especially in the morning light has proven to be healthy for your body since old times.
11. Improve Cardiovascular Health – When Surya namaskar is done in a rapid fashion, it will provide an excellent cardiovascular workout in the same manner as normal exercise.
12. Weight Loss – Using rapid movements will also help in improving your metabolism, resulting in burning fat faster, thereby reducing your overall weight. When you perform the postures, your limbs become symmetrical helping your internal vital organs to function better.
13. Strengthen Muscles and Joints – Surya Namaskar postures and movements can help improve the strength and flexibility of your spine, muscles, and joints. Performing it daily will make your body more energetic and healthy.
14. Ensures Regular Menstrual Cycle – The asanas of Surya namaskar can also be helpful for women with irregular menstrual cycles as it helps regulate it. A practice of the postures regularly can also help in easy childbirth.
15. Brings Down Blood Sugar Levels – According to our expert, the movements of the sun salutation also aid in bringing down your blood sugar levels and help keep heart diseases at bay.
16. Enhances Skin Health – Sun salutation will improve your blood circulation which will make your skin more healthy. The extra oxygen will bring back the glow on your face, making your skin look ageless and radiant and preventing the occurrence of wrinkles.
17. Improves Digestive System
The sun salutation will help your digestive system running more smoothly. These yoga postures will help increase your digestive tract blood flows resulting in better intestinal function. One of the poses will also help increase your abdomen space which will release the trapped gasses from your system.
Related: Health Benefits of Red Spinach
18. Helps Insomnia – Surya namaskar will improve your sleeping patterns by the practicing it regularly. The asanas will calm your mind, thereby giving you a good night’s sleep.
19. Reduces Anxiety – The sun salutation improves your memory and nervous system. It normalizes the activity of the endocrine glands, especially the thyroid gland. This will help you to get rid of anxiety and achieve a calm state of mind.
Related: Benefits of Reading – Benefits of Writing
20. Helps Detoxification – Sun salutation’s active inhalation and exhalation process will keep the lungs ventilated, guaranteeing that the blood will remain oxygenated. This process will help in detoxifying your body by getting rid of carbon dioxide and other toxic gasses.
21. Promotes Positive Mood – Basking in the sunlight every day will help you achieve a bright, clearer mind and push you towards optimistic thought, charitable disposition, and spirit of self-sacrifice for the greater good. This healthy state of mind will make you a better and healthier person.
Surya Yoga Advantages
Surya yoga primary teaching requires the user to stare directly into the sun. Beginners of this practice may learn how to do this slowly and gradually, as a direct gaze in an immediate fashion could damage your eyes and result in blindness. There are many benefits claimed to be the result of this practice, such as:
22. Increases Concentration and Stamina – By performing the Surya yoga actions daily, your body will develop the power of mental concentration, helping you perform better in social life.
Related: Benefits of Playing Piano
23. Reduces Hunger due to Intake of Solar Energy – Some say that at higher stages the practitioner is able to feed directly from the Sun’s energy.
Related: Scientific Health Benefits of Pulses
24. Positive Attitude and Outlook – Continuous Surya yoga will give you better skin health and positive mind, thus giving you a better overall outlook.
25. Greater Devotion towards Nature – When you reached higher stages in Surya yoga, you will learn the single, universal truth about nature. As you learn that you are just a tiny speck of dust in this universe, you will develop a tighter bond with nature, loving them more.
Related: Health Benefits of Being In Nature
26. More Energy and Vitality – Gazing towards the sun while meditating is an exercise both to your physical body and spiritual body. Improvement of both bodies will give you more energy and vitality.
The Surya Yoga Experiences for Life
According to the facts, there are 13 stages in the Sun Yoga experiences, which are:
27. Conquer all Desires –Such as the ability to handle anger, ego, jealousy, sexual, greed, and bad emotions.
28. Develop Divine Energy –On the term to explore more positive mind and feelings.
29. Atmadarsanam – Discovery of Atma, improving the soul.
30. Samadhi –Enlightenment – In order to get a wiser mind in handling life.
31. Conquer Hunger –To control lusts.
32. Conquer Thirst –To learn about life and nature.
33. Conquer Diseases –The best benefits of Surya Yoga.
34. Paramahansa –Adjusting the mind to all situations.
35. Having no Enemies –All enemies, including animals will be friends.
36. Longevity –Promote happy and positive life.
37. The body’s vibration and earth’s vibration– will be equal.
38. The body’s vibration and sun’s vibration– will be equal.
39. The body’s vibration and the vibration of the Universe– (Supreme Soul) vibration will be equal.
Once you complete all of the stages, you will receive the full benefits of the Surya yoga practice. To achieve best results, we recommend doing all 3 kinds of meditation as they don’t overlap each other. There are many health benefits of sun meditation, so go meditating and good luck!