27 Health Benefits of Water and Lemon (Top #1 Refreshing Drink)
Lemon water is one of a kind refreshing alternative drink. Besides to having a fresh sour taste, lemon water has a lot of content, because it is rich in vitamins and nutrients. The fruit is usually used as a decoration in food and beverage dish, it can help the body to fight various types of dangerous diseases.
The health benefits of lemon water have been known for centuries. Ancient Egyptians believe, drinking lemon juice can protect the body from various toxins and diseases. Fruit extracts that have the botanical name Citrus binomial x limon has more than 100% vitamin C content required by the body. To get maximum benefit from this fruit, make sure to get it from freshly squeezed lemon juice directly. Avoid to get lemon water packs are sold in the market, because in it has been mixed with various chemicals that just can not provide health benefits.
- Benefits of Lemon Water
- Health Benefits of Lemon in Green Tea
- Lemon Water is Effective For Weight Loss
Nutrients in Lemon
Here is the lemon nutrients:
- Lemon fruit contains only 29 calories per 100 grams, this is the lowest value for the citrus fruit group.
- Lemon contains zero saturated fat or cholesterol, but this fruit is a good source of dietary fiber, which is +/- 7.36% of the RDA. Lemon is one of the fruits with very low glycemic content.
- Sour taste contained in lemon fruit is due to citric acid which is a natural preservative, helps digestion, and can help dissolve kidney stones.
- Lemon is one of vitamin C (ascorbic acid) which in this fruit provides about 88% of the recommended daily intake. Ascorbic acid acts as an anti-oxidant to help prevent scurvy. In addition, vitamin-C can also help the body to develop resistance to infectious agents and free radicals.
- Other ingredients in lemons are phytochemicals such as Hesperetin, naringin, and naringenin flavonoids glycosides found in citrus fruits. Naringenin can act as an antioxidant agent, antidote to free radicals, anti-inflammatory, and as a modulator of the immune system.
- Lemon is also rich in vitamin A, flavonoids, and other anti-oxidants such as alpha, and ß-carotene, ß-cryptoxanthin, zea-xanthin and lutein. Vitamin A is necessary to maintain mucous membranes, skin, and vision to stay healthy. While flavonoids can help the body to protect the lungs and prevent oral cancer.
- In the lemon also contain minerals such as iron, copper, potassium, and calcium. Potassium is an important component of cells and body fluids to help control heart rate and blood pressure.
- This fruit is also a good source of vitamin B complex such as pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, and folate that are indispensable in the body.
Thus, after knowing the nutrients, here is the health benefits or lemon and water:
1. Helps Control Blood Pressure
In lemon water contained a number of potassium is very useful in helping control blood pressure. This of course will be very useful for those who have hypertension disorder (high blood pressure). With the benefits of lemon water on a regular basis will be able to help them make blood pressure to normal and can provide a relaxing effect on the mind.
That way will be able to help in reducing the level of stress and depression are excessive. This can lead to the emergence of various types of chronic diseases such as diabetes, heart attacks, or stroke. Thus, that one of the many health benefits of lemon and water.
2. Smooth digestive system
By consuming lemon water it can also help alleviate digestive problems, such as heartburn, nausea, abdominal bloating, belching, and constipation disorders (difficult bowel movements). The way is quite easy, namely by mixing lemon juice with warm water.
By consuming the herb on a regular basis will be able to help stimulate the digestive tract. Peristaltic stimulation of the intestinal wall, useful to assist in efficient removal of waste or digestion remnants. This will help cure constipation.
3. Stimulates liver function
The content of natural compounds contained in the benefits of lemon water is able to dissolve the content of uric acid and other harmful toxins that lodge in the liver. In addition, lemon water is also useful to help break down gallstones and can alleviate fever due to malaria.
Potassium content in lemon water can help cure symptoms of disorders of the liver or commonly called biliousness such as constipation, vomiting, loss of appetite, and dizziness. For that, for those who are experiencing impaired liver function, it is better to consume warm lemon water in the morning on a regular basis, ie one hour before you breakfast.
4. Cleaning the body from bacteria
In his book entitled “Back To Eden” Jethro Kloss stated that lemon juice extract can help eliminate the accumulation of bacteria in the body (sepsis) that is by affecting the body’s anti scourbutic ability in preventing disease and rid the body of impurities.
According to Dr. Gillian McKeith in her book “You Are What You Eat” also explains that by consuming a glass of warm lemon water in the morning after waking up, it can help clear the useless mucus in the body. But he also suggested to consume lemon water at night before bed.
- Health Benefits of Apple and Cucumber Juice
- Best Fast Way to Detox Liver After Several Years of Drinking
5. Helps to relieve fever
Consuming a mixture of warm lemon water with the benefits of honey can help relieve flu symptoms like fever. Consume the potion every two hours until the flu symptoms subside.
6. As an aromatherapy
Several studies have shown that essential oils in lemon fruit can help provide a calming effect and relieve fatigue, dizziness, anxiety, nervousness, and tension. This will help improve one’s concentration and alertness.
Experts have recommended to use lemon scent to make the work space and home more fresh. Or it could be by taking a few drops of essential oil of lemon and apply it to the handkerchief to reduce the tension.
7. Helps to lose weight
The benefits of warm lemon water with a mixture of honey is regularly believed to help in the process of weight loss more quickly. This will be very useful for those who are obese and are trying to do a strict diet to get back to normal weight. The benefits of pectin fiber in lemons can help the body to feel full longer. Thus, that one of many best health benefits of lemon and water.
8. Helping dental care
For those of you who are having toothache problems, try to apply lemon extract to the painful areas. This will help to get rid of the discomfort. In addition, lemon extract can help reduce symptoms of bleeding gums, prevent bad breath, and overcome other gum disorders.
9. Reduces inflammation
The level of acidity in the body that causes various types of dangerous diseases can be overcome by routinely consume lemon water. This will remove uric acid in the joints, which is the main cause of inflammation.
10. Helps boost the immune system
Lemon is also very useful for boosting the immune system. This is because the vitamin C content in the lemon is high. Vitamin C in lemon will help maintain the immune system so it does not get sick easily. In addition, lemons also contain natural anti-oxidants that can neutralize free radicals that can threaten human health anytime and anywhere.
One of the diseases that can be overcome with lemon is the flu. When the flu attacks your body, immediately make a drink of lemon mixed with raw honey and also warm water. Drink this concoction 3 to 4 times a day and feel the benefits. It would be better if this warm drink is taken at night before bed, then the morning after waking you will get a fresh body and the flu began to decrease.
11. Treating a sore throat
Recently we discussed about the benefits of lemon to treat the flu. One sign of the onset of flu is the occurrence of a throat skit. This sore throat can be treated immediately by using a warm drink of lemon-made pliers. Or can also use lemon juice to rinse. But if you want to put something warm in your throat, then make a warm drink of lemon would be the right choice. It would be better if you consume this hot drink at night before bed, then the morning problem of sore throat is reduced.
12. Helps treat acne
Citric acid content in lemon juice can help treat acne disorders effectively. Vitamin C contained in it can help kill bad bacteria that cause acne and can also give the effect of skin look more radiant. So, in addition to ingredients of consumption, lemon water can also be applied to the skin as a mask or by applied to areas affected by acne at night before bed.
At the beginning of use may arise burning sensation, pain, and discomfort in the skin. But it will disappear immediately. The next step you should do is to clean or rinse the face the next day with clean water.
13. Helps remove dead skin cells
Lemon is one of the fruits that contain AHA (Alpha-Hydrocxy Acid). The content can help in the process of exfoliation of dead skin cells. The way is quite easy, namely by applying lemon juice extract on cotton and then applied to the entire face when cleaning the face. Leave it up +/- 10 minutes then rinse. This will make the skin look softer and radiant.
- Health Benefits of Avocado for Skin
- Benefits of Coffee Scrub for Skin
- Health Benefits of Cilantro on Skin
- Health Benefits of Kiwi For Skin
More Lemon Water Benefits:
Indeed, here are more health benefits of water and lemon:
- Refreshing your mind
- Energy Booster
- Easy to drink
- Opens up your brain
- Makes you fresh
Indeed, it must be so refreshing to drink lemon and water with ice in the hot summer days.
Side effects of Lemon Water
Lemon water has a very low PH content, which is about 2.0. For those who are sensitive, consuming acidic lemon juice can sometimes cause some side effects such as a burning sensation when in contact with the mouth, tongue, or wounded lips. In addition, consuming large amounts of lemon juice, it can also aggravate various types of diseases such as gastric ulcers.
Indeed, drinking lemon water is as well good for body. It contains many nutrient and vitamin. Also, it’s good to drink it everyday, especially in early morning. Thus, there are many health benefits of lemon and water.