Red Currant is a fruit that falls into the category of berries. The fruit named latin, Ribes rubrum, is still a relation with black currant fruit or white currant. Red currant fruit has a shape similar to grapes, it’s just red currant red fruit and smaller. The fruits included in this gooseberry family, have the albino types. The albino types of red currant called white currant and usually sold separately with red currant fruit.
This red currant fruit comes from continental Europe. One of the largest producers and exporters is Russia. Germany is one of the largest importers of red currants. In a European country, this fruit is usually made for sauce on a cake. But in other countries, sometimes this red currant plant is also made as a tea and replace the habit of drinking coffee.
Because they are relatively tart, red currants are often used as garnishes or in cooking rather than being eaten raw. You can use them in jams and jellies, preserves and pies. You can also use red currants to make wine. Indeed, there are many health benefits of red currant fruit.
You may also read:
- Health Benefits of Salmonberry
- Health Benefits of Huckleberry
- Health Benefits of Indian Gooseberry
- Health Benefits of Acai Berry
Nutrition of Red Currant Fruits
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 234 kJ (56 kcal)
Carbohydrates 13.8 g
Sugars 7.37 g
Dietary fiber 4.3 g
Fat 0.2 g
Protein 1.4 g
Thiamine (B1) 0.04 mg (3%)
Riboflavin (B2) 0.05 mg (4%)
Niacin (B3) 0.1 mg (1%)
Pantothenic acid (B5) 0.064 mg (1%)
Vitamin B6 0.07 mg (5%)
Folate (B9) 8 μg (2%)
Choline 7.6 mg (2%)
Vitamin C 41 mg (49%)
Vitamin E 0.1 mg (1%)
Vitamin K 11 μg (10%)
Calcium 33 mg (3%)
Iron 1 mg (8%)
Magnesium 13 mg (4%)
Manganese 0.186 mg (9%)
Phosphorus 44 mg (6%)
Potassium 275 mg (6%)
Sodium 1 mg (0%)
Zinc 0.23 mg (2%)
Now, let’s check out the health benefits of red currant fruit:
- Good For Diet
Red currant is one low-calorie fruit and contains high enough Vitamin C. So by consuming this fruit in the morning or as a snack, it will not interfere with your diet.
- Benefits of Blueberries For Weight Loss
- Benefits of Eating Pineapple for Weight Loss
- Health Benefits Langsat Fruit
- Helps Reduces Wrinkles
Wrinkles is one of the early signs of aging that is often experienced in this modern era. One of the causes is due to free radicals. With red currant, you can handle it. Because red currant is one of the fruits that are rich in vitamins, one of them is vitamin C. Vitamin C is useful in fighting free radicals.
- Helps brightens skin
Skin that is less bright can be caused by many things. One is the lack of intake of antioxidant and skin vitamins in the body. By consuming red currant can help skin look brighter. Because in the red currant there are many vitamins, one of which vitamin C is a source of antioxidants.
- Helps look younger
Because exposed to free radicals every day, can make you exposed to premature aging and result in cells do not regenerate optimally. With red currant, fruits that contain lots of vitamins that are good for the body and skin, can help you look younger. The most important vitamin here is vitamin b6 that is useful for cell regeneration and protects the skin from the effects of free radicals.
- Health Benefits of Red Rooibos Tea
- Health Benefits of Ginger Root Tea
- Health Benefits of Almond Tea
- Health Benefits of Allspice Tea
- Source of Iron
Iron is a substance that important in boosting red blood cell production. Red blood cells carry oxygen and other nutrients to all parts of the body. The blood in body is 45% red blood cells. Without it, the brain, lungs, and heart cannot get oxygenated blood.
Iron deficiency results in anemia, chronic fatigue, and sluggishness. Eating red currants help boost the formation of red blood cells. Because iron in red currants is 1mg in every 100 gram of red currant. It can fulfill your daily intake. Think of red currants as little bursts of energy you can eat.
- Prevent Asthma
Asthma is usually characterized by difficulty breathing, occurs because the airway has swelling. Swollen airways restrict airflow causing breathing difficulties.
One of the fruits that contain enough magnesium found in red currant. With a content of 13mg every 100 grams of red currant, this fruit can meet the needs of body magnesium. So as to prevent the occurrence of asthma. Because Magnesium is very useful to prevent asthma, even for people who have been suffering from severe asthma, can normalize breathing again with the help of substances / supplements that contain magnesium.
- Increase metabolism
By consuming red currant fruits, you can increase your metabolism. The active substance is Magnesium. Magnesium is also very instrumental in helping protein synthesis, and also can help the body to activate the enzyme in the body. So it can improve the body’s metabolic processes.
Related article : Health Benefits of Lipton Tea
- Maintain bone density
By consuming red currant fruit can help bone density. Because this fruit contains high enough magnesium and calcium. Magnesium and calcium are useful for maintaining healthy and bone density, and magnesium is also a mineral substance that plays an important role as a bone constituent.
- Maintain heart health
What’s more health benefits of red currant fruit? Fruit red currant if consumed properly can help maintain heart health. Because of the other very important use of magnesium is to maintain heart health, so the heart can function properly. A body with magnesium deficiency can be at risk for heart disease.
- Help Prevent Constipation
Packed into these little red berries is a fairly large dose of fiber content. Fiber is an essential part of a balanced diet that promotes regular bowel movements by soaking up water in the lower digestive tract and physically cleaning and pushing out waste. It bulks up the colon and triggers bowel movements. Fiber prevents constipation, which is rampant in today’s society because of junk food that is refined and virtually fiber free.
- Benefits of Snakeroot for Health
- Scientific Health Benefits of Lulo Fruit
- Benefits of Chocolate Milk After Workout
- Help Body Healthier
With the many minerals and vitamins contained in the red currant fruit, if consumed can help meet the standard needs of minerals and vitamins of the body. This can cause our body to become healthier and more fit and avoid various diseases.
- Health Benefits of Palm Sugar
- Health Benefits of Eating Bulalo Soup
- Best Ways How to Prevent Cancer
- Health Benefits of Soursop Leaves
Recipe for Red Currant
Thus, to get all health benefits of red currant fruit, here is the recipe:
Red Currant Jam Recipe
- 1 quart/900 grams ripe red currants
- 2 1/4 cups/510 grams sugar
How to make :
- Rinse red currant and remove from the stem. Note: freeze the red currant that is still in the trunk. It will be easier to remove it from the trunk when frozen. No need to melt the fruit first.
- Sterilize your canning jar.
- While the canning jar is being sterilized, put the red currant and air into a large saucepan. Gently crush the red currant with a batter of potatoes or a bottle of wine. Add sugar. Cook the mixture over medium-low heat, stirring constantly to dissolve the sugar.
- Once the sugar is completely dissolved, raise the flame until high and boil, stirring often, until about 1 hour or the end of the jell point. Remove the red currant clock from the heat and skim off any foam that has formed on the surface.
- If the clock reaches the jell point before the jars are sterilized, simply remove the clock from the heat until the jars are ready. Reheat the clock just barely back to a simmer before filling the jars.
- Ladle the hot jam into the sterilized jars leaving 1/4 to 1/2-inch head space. Screw on canning lids. You can just put the jars to cool and then store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 months. For longer term storage at room temperature, process the jars in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes.
So far there is no danger of consuming red currant fruit. But it’s good also if we consume enough and for those who diet, do not always force the body. So, now we know there are many health benefits of red currant fruit. Hopefully this information can benefit readers.
- Benefits of Parsley for Hair and Skin
- Best Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice for Skin
- Health Benefits of Honey for Skin
- Health Benefits of Avocado for Skin