At least one 19th century eclectic medical journal explains how to prepare belladonna tincture for direct application to patients. It has been widely accepted for its beneficial properties in treating some medical problems. Hereafter, we have summarized you many benefits of Belladonna for health:
1. Antidote for a Dry Cough and Sore Throat
Belladonna is also known as a homeopathic medicine to cure problems related to irritation in your throats such as sore throats and dry coughs. It is particularly used for instances when the pain comes suddenly and accompanied by fever and flushed skin, reddened throat or tonsils, and also pain during swallowing. Furthermore, Belladonna is also used to treat other respiratory problems such as asthma.
2. Ease Headaches and Migraines
Health benefits of Belladonna in treating headaches, notably with characteristics like dizziness, severe, sudden, throbbing, and pulsating headache with worsening pain on noise, light, pressure on the head, and movement. It is usually a heat and fever related headache. The person might also experience some nosebleeds and migraines. The migraine, which is usually caused by cold, sinus issues, or injuries will likely begin at the back of the head and radiate through your head to the right brow area of the head before the pain settles behind the eyes.
3. Treating Psychiatric Disorders
Belladonna is also used in plasters for treating psychiatric disorders, which is a behavior disorder called hyper-kinesis that is shown by several symptoms including excessive sweating.
4. Relax Muscle Spasms
Atropine contained in Belladonna is an alkaloid which can be effective at relaxing muscle spasms, thus easing joint pain such as rheumatism, leg pain such as sciatica, and nerve pain such as neuralgia. Belladonna is also used for osteoarthritis with red and swollen joints that become shiny and unbearably painful.
5. Solve Women Health Problems
Belladonna is like an all in one solution for all sorts of women’s health concerns, such as abdominal cramps associated with menstruation, breast inflammation, and even remedy for menopause as women experience vaginal discharge, uterine bleeding, nosebleeds, feverish delirium, violent anger, and an impulse to run.
6. Control Encephalitis
Based on a study published in an American Journal in 2010, it was concluded that Belladonna can control encephalitis virus in infected chick embryos. This Japanese deadly viral disease made the sufferer poor coordinated, cognitively and mentally impaired, and having seizures frequently. Many homeopaths have traditionally used Belladonna in an effort to prevent and treat Japanese encephalitis.
7. Treatment for Parkinson’s disease
Belladonna is a top remedy to treat the rigidity, tremor, sweating, and excessive salivation caused by Parkinson’s disease. Since Belladonna has an anticholinergic property, it is able to prevent the release of acetylcholine, the main substance that promotes the chemical reaction in the brain that leads to the main symptoms of a Parkinson’s disease.
8. Treat Acute Hypertension
Considered as an effective remedy for high blood pressure, Belladonna is often used in hypertension cases which involved great intensity and heat, flushed face, dilated pupils, throbbing blood vessels, as well as vertigo or pounding headache. The hand and feet may also be cold.
9. Promote Eye Health
As mentioned above, Belladonna is often used as an ingredient in eye drops. It is a typical remedy for eye inflammation or irritation, especially when it happens suddenly and includes red, dry, and burning eyes, throbbing pain, light sensitivity, visual illusions, heavy or swollen eyelids, not to mention dilated pupils.
10. Cure Gastrointestinal Problem
Belladonna is exceptionally powerful for acute inflammation of the gallbladder which symptoms include fever, vomiting, nausea, tender abdomen and pain that radiates to the back or right shoulder. It also helps in relieving gastrointestinal and biliary systems, controlling colon inflammation such as colitis and diverticulitis, a tendency to over urinate, abdominal pain caused by kidney stones, and peptic ulcer.
11. Cold and Fever Remedy
Belladonna is recommended to remedy cold and fever as it relieves nasal congestion by shrinking nasal mucous membrane and decrease lung secretions. It also helps against a runny nose and sneezing, as well as itchy and watery eyes due to colds, flu, or hay fever.
12. Curing Zika Virus
The infectious disease known as Zika virus is a disease that is transmitted through mosquito bites. Symptoms of this disease usually include headaches, fevers, joint pains, skin rash, and conjunctivitis. One of the most effective treatments for this virus is homeopathic medicines, which includes Belladonna. In fact, Belladonna is one of the best remedies known by man to help cure the Zika virus.
13. Treating Ear Infections
One of the top health problems for the children is an ear infection or also known as otitis media. The person who suffered from this infection usually hears ringing noises, sometimes their own voice, from inside their ear. Belladonna is considered as an effective remedy for ear infections, especially when the face and ears are flushed.
How to Use Belladonna Properly
It is advised that you obtain the Belladonna through as suggested in the doctor’s recipe. As Belladonna is quite dangerous and poses several health risks, you need to take it in the correct dosage to get its health benefits. Here is the step-by-step explanation on how to get the health benefits of Belladonna accordingly.
- Carefully read the doctor’s direction and take it as described. Ask for an explanation from an expert; such as pharmacist, nurse, or doctor, if there is something that you do not understand.
- Make sure you take a full glass of water for each dose of Belladonna.
- Use a measuring tool such as a special spoon or cup that comes with a measurement indicator, not just any ordinary spoon or cup, to make sure you receive a correct dose of Belladonna. You can find such tools easily in any pharmacy or medical stores.
- Make sure to store the Belladonna at room temperature, away from any heat and moisture.
- If you missed when taking a dose, you need to take it as soon as possible. However, take precaution so you did not take a double dose of it as it can be detrimental to your health.
As well as the snake poison that surprisingly can be used for treatments, Belladonna has been used in herbal medicine for centuries despite its poisonous nature. You don’t have to worry though, as Belladonna is only harmful if you touch it as it irritates your skin or when taken orally. It’s unlikely that you’ve never used Belladonna since it’s been used as an ingredient in numerous medications. One of such benefits of Belladonna is used as pharmaceutical anticholinergics that have many uses in treating various modern-day illness and diseases.
- Benefits of Virginia Snakeroot
- Relora Benefits
- Benefits of Nexito 10 mg
- Health Benefits of Pumpkin Seed
Precautions in Taking Belladonna and Side Effects
Although there are lots of benefits of Belladonna that you can get, you need to take some precautions in taking Belladonna as a remedy for your illness. If you have any of these following irregularities, you need to tell your doctor straight away before taking any Belladonna medicines:
- numbness or tingling in your hands or feet;
- thyroid problems;
- liver disease;
- hiatal hernia or reflux disease;
- ulcerative colitis;
- enlargement of the prostate;
- asthma, chronic lung disease, or allergies;
- high blood pressure, an irregular heartbeat, or any type of heart disease.
As it originally contains some toxins and dangerous substance, several side-effects may occur when taking Belladonna as a medicine. These side effects include; but not limited to:
- an allergic reaction (swelling of your lips, tongue, or face, difficulty breathing, closing your throat, or hives);
- an irregular or fast heart rate;
- an eye pain;
- a rash or flushing;
- changes in taste;
- difficulty urinating;
- blurred vision, large pupils, or sensitivity of the eyes to bright light;
- a headache, dizziness, or lightheadedness;
- weakness or nervousness;
- nausea, bloating, heartburn, or constipation;
- decreased sweating; or
- nasal congestion, stuffiness, or a dry mouth.
If any of these conditions occur during treatment, stop the treatment consult with a doctor immediately.
You may also read:
- Health Benefits of Alfalfa Tea
- Health Benefits of Drinking Alkaline Water
- Health Benefits of Water and Lemon
- Health Benefits of Mint Water