Satsuma, a variety of orange that is very similar to tangerine and mandarin, is known as the sweetest of the whole citrus varieties. The name Satsuma was taken from Satsuma Province, the place where it was exported to the west for the first time in the past. It is also known in Japan by its other names, Citrus Unshiu or Unshu Mikan. This fruit originally came from China, where it goes by the name Wenzhou Migan. Both Unshu Mikan and Wenzhou Migan translates literally into “honey citrus of Wenzhou”, which is a city in China where this fruit was cultivated for the first time. The Chinese people also called this fruit a Wuhe Ju, which means a “seedless mandarin”.
True to its name, this type of citrus is roughly the same size as a mandarin orange, but most of the time it has no seeds at all. Another prominent trait of Satsuma is its thin and wrinkly skin that has a leathery texture and lightly attached to the fruit, which enables it to be peeled-off rather easily. This, however, would mean that these fruits need to be handled properly and carefully, as their delicate flesh is only protected by such a vulnerable layer of skin. Their flavor is described by some as sweeter than normal oranges and less tangy.
You may also read:
- Health Benefits of Bitter Melon Fruit
- Health Benefits of Yuzu Fruit
- Health Benefits of Kiwi Fruit
- Health Benefits of Dogfruit
As an addition to the sweetness and convenience, for being easy to peel and seedless, there are so many health benefits and even beauty reasons of why you should include Satsuma Oranges as a part of your diet. We have compiled these reasons into primary health benefits of a Satsuma Oranges.
1. Control Cholesterol Level
Cholesterol level is one of the many concerns that we have as we grow older, as a high level of cholesterol could lead to serious health problems such as cardiovascular diseases, stroke, and heart attack. Since they are such great source of vitamin C, Satsuma oranges aid the body to minimize the existence of dangerous free radicals by lowering the LDL cholesterol level which is harmful to our body and increases HDL cholesterol level which is needed by our body. Other than that, the fruit’s fiber also works very well to block cholesterol from being absorbed into our body.
2. Improving Your Immune Systems
For those looking up to boost up your body immune, Satsuma could be one of the best choices for your diet. Due to the high concentration of vitamin C, Satsuma Oranges are consequently natural antioxidant that would help your body to fight against the free radicals in human body. This could strengthen the immune system, making it insusceptible to common infections such as cold, sore throat, cough, as well as other infections.
3. Natural Anti-Aging Diet
What’s more health benefits of a Satsuma Oranges? As mentioned above, Satsuma Oranges are high in vitamin C and antioxidants which fight against the free radicals in your body and drive out the toxins, as well as forming collagen that aids in repairing body tissues, thus slowing down your body’s aging process.
This is good news especially for women as this means Satsuma Oranges are capable of delaying the onset of fine lines and wrinkles aside from eliminating the blemishes from your skin. Either used as a mask or eaten just like that or juiced, Satsuma Orange will bestow you a clean, healthy, and smooth skin without blemishes. So if you are a woman, try to include these amazing fruits to your diet to rejuvenate your body and make you look more beautiful.
4. Prevent Diabetes
Satsuma Oranges are known to help the diabetics to keep their sugar levels under control. Since they are not only packed with vitamin C but also fiber, they have the ability to prevent the transformation of sugars into fats resulting in low and controlled sugar levels. As such, people suffering from diabetes or those who just love to eat foods with high sugar level would certainly found these Satsuma Oranges beneficial for their health.
5. Helps in Natural Detoxification
The abundant fiber in Satsuma helps in removing the toxins from the body, thus cleaning and purifying the blood. Moreover, the fruit’s anti-microbial properties are also crucial to safeguard injuries and wounds from bacterial or fungal infections.
6. Perfect Weight Loss Companion
On account of its generous natural fibers, Satsuma is already recognized as perfect weight loss companion. The fiber helps the body to absorb the food better and boost the metabolism thus, in turn, prevents the cumulation of excessive and unnecessary fat. Besides, consumption of fiber somehow keeps the hunger away for a longer period so that you are easily spared from overeating. This makes Satsuma Orange one of the most highly sought snacks for people who are on a diet.
- Health Benefits of Natural Calm
- Benefits of Magnesium
- Symptoms and Health Risks of Magnesium Deficiency
7. Natural Anti Cancer Agent
As a natural source of Limonene, Satsuma Oranges are known to delay the onset of breast cancer in women. The carotenoids contained in these fruits are also proven to avert the risk of liver cancer, according to research. The presence of Beta Cryptoxanthin in the juice also has the benefits to cast away the liver cancer risk in people suffering from hepatitis C.
8. Reduce Blood Pressure
It is really advantageous for people suffering from hypertension to consume the Satsuma Oranges since it contains plentiful potassium within. Nevertheless, Potassium plays an important part in keeping the levels of blood pressure.
9. Nourish Hair Growth
Satsuma oranges are also exceptionally beneficial for your hair. Satsuma is rich in Vitamin E and Vitamin B12 which is essential for hair growth. Because of its antioxidant, applying this fruit regularly to your hair will protect your hair from pollution and also prevent hair from premature graying.
If you mix some coconut oil and Satsuma juice together, you will be granted a visible shine to your hair after rinsing. Indeed, that’s one health benefits of a Satsuma Oranges
10. Strengthen Nails, Bones, Nerve, and Muscles.
Contrary to the public opinion that Calcium can only be obtained from dairy products, Satsuma oranges are actually a supreme source of calcium. Thus, you may want to add Satsuma Oranges to your daily diet since it can reinforce your bone health, strong teeth, nerve signals, and muscle strength.
11. Good For Your Mental Health
Some research has found out that consuming Satsuma daily could help your mind in memorizing something better because it calmed your nervous system and improve its health. As such, Satsuma can be used to combat ailments that have an adverse effect on your nerves, such as Alzheimer’s.
12. Vaginal Immunity
The bursting vitamin C contained in the Satsuma Oranges can be a solution for bacterial vaginosis, as the daily intake of 500 to 1000mg twice a day can support and strengthen the lining of the vagina and help it to heal from irritation.
Several Recipes to Make You Enjoy a Satsuma Orange Better
Since these Satsuma oranges are low in calories and rich in vitamins and minerals, there is no harm in including it to your daily diet. Add it to your salad for a protein boost or to your baked delicacies for a refreshing and invigorating fragrance and taste. Here are some recipes for you to try so you can enjoy Satsuma Oranges’ health benefits much better than just eating it raw.
1. Satsuma-Clementine Flambe
- Satsuma orange – 2 pcs, 1 peeled and thinly sliced, 1 juiced
- Clementine – 2 pcs, 1 peeled and thinly sliced, 1 juiced
- White wine – 2 tbsp
- Orange liqueur – 2 tbsp
- Fresh mint – 6 leaves, for garnish
- Place the sliced fruits on a plate neatly.
- Put the satsuma and clementine juice into a small pan over a medium heat.
- Pour the white wine and orange liqueur, flambeing the juice carefully.
- After the flames have died out, pour the liquid over the sliced fruits.
- Arrange the mint leaf on top or around the dish for garnish.
2. Banana Satsuma Smoothie
- Banana – 1, medium, peeled, cut into chunks
- Satsuma – 1, peeled, sliced
- Low-fat yogurt – 1 cup
- Juice of your choice (Apple, pineapple works best) – ½ cup
- Fresh mint – 1 leaf
- In a blender combine banana, orange sections, yogurt, and the juice.
- Cover and blend until smooth.
- Garnish with a mint leaf.
3. Satsuma Cake
You can get health benefits of a Satsuma Oranges by consuming it as Satsuma cake.
- Cooking spray
- 5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup (8 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated satsuma orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh satsuma orange juice
- 4 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare crust, lightly coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and then line the bottom of the pan with a parchment paper.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, after that level with a knife.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine 3 tablespoons sugar and butter in a food processor, and process it until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk and process until smooth.
- Add flour mixture to food processor; process just until combined. Firmly press mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool 10 minutes.
- Combine cream cheeses in the food processor; process 30 seconds or until smooth. Add 3/4 cup sugar; process 30 seconds. Add sour cream, rind, and juice; process 30 seconds. Add eggs, 1 at a time, processing well after each addition. Scrape down sides of bowl; process 10 seconds.
- Pour cheese mixture into prepared crust; place pan in a large baking pan. Add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch.
- Bake at 325° for 50 minutes or until cheesecake center barely moves when the pan is touched.
- Turn oven off; let stand 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven and water bath; run a knife around outside edge. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.
- Cut into 12 wedges and ready to serve.
However, there are many health benefits of a Satsuma Oranges. It’s tasty and healthy!
- Benefits of Snakeroot
- Health Benefits of Water Spinach
- Health Benefits of Avocado for Skin
- Health Benefits of Vanilla Beans
- Benefits of Coffee Scrub for Skin