Figs Fruits known as Ficus carica are commonly found in the western parts of Asia. These fruits belong to the mulberry family which grown in dry climates and had been popular since ancient times. In the same way, figs fruits have red, yellow, green, or purple for their skin color. Afterward, these fruits have the sweet and unique taste with a texture of the chewy flesh. Besides, figs fruits are mostly found as dried fruits which have already being processed by exposure them to sunlight.
- Health Benefits of Figs during Pregnancy
- Health Benefits of Dried Fruits
- Health Benefits of Eating Fruits on an Empty Stomach
Nutrients Value of Figs Fruit
Moreover, these fruits offer you a wide range of nutrients contained. Indeed, figs have a good source of minerals, vitamins, and other beneficial nutrients.
Here we list the detail of nutritional value of figs fruits below.
Amount per 100 g
% Daily Value
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 1%
Vitamin D 0%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
As you can see on the table, the figs fruits are highly rich in essential nutrients. Consequently, the nutrients contained in figs fruits will provide many health benefits for your body. Then, let’s have a look for the next explanation to know the health benefits of figs fruits.
Health Benefits of Figs Fruits
1. Source of Minerals and Vitamins
Figs fruits are a good source of minerals and vitamins. These fruits provide the good amount of iron, magnesium, and calcium. For this reason, figs are playing a role in maintaining our body’s health.
2. Source of Antioxidants
Figs also act as the source of antioxidants since these fruit is offering the antioxidants nutrient contained which may help decrease any harmful effects. Then, it is known that figs contain polyphenolic flavonoid antioxidants such as carotenes, lutein, tannins, chlorogenic acid to keep our body healthy. Moreover, a study shows that figs and dried plums have the highest nutrient score among other dried fruits. Sounds amazing, doesn’t it?
Related: Health Benefits of Matcha Powder
3. An Option for Diet Menu
If you are looking for a food that is low in calorie but high in fiber, the answer will go to figs fruit. These fruits laid the fact that it is one of the best food for your diet menu. As a fact, figs are linked to many great health benefits for your body due to rich nutrients contained. Besides, not only for the benefits but also their delicious taste will not make you disappointed. Then, for great diet menu tips, you may have figs fruits as pudding, jam, or simply add dried figs on top of your salad bowl.
- Health Benefits of Diet High in Fruits and Vegetables
- Health Benefits of Salad Greens
- Health Benefits of Salmons
4. Low in Calories
As described before, figs are low in calories. Then, it is good for someone who does diet routinely. Then, you can eat figs in the morning as daily habit or just right for your alternative dinner menu.
5. Helps Lose Weight
Most people are still confused about having the best diet steps in order losing fat in the body. However, it is fiber that highly contributes to the work of the diet. In another hand, due to the presence of dietary fiber in figs fruits, they will help you to lose weight faster. Further, figs fruits also take part in preventing obesity. Indeed, it is beneficial for body weight management.
6. Prevents Free Radicals
When free radicals substances attacks, the presence of unpaired electron will be shared. Then, there is a link between the preventing action of free radicals and the presence of antioxidants nutrients contained in figs. At this point, the good source of antioxidants nutrients may help you prevent free radicals. A balance between free radicals and the presence of antioxidants will also balance the health. As the result, antioxidants neutralize the condition by donating the electron to reduce the effects of free radicals. Moreover, it is known that phytochemical compounds in figs defend against cancer, infections, and other diseases.
7. Lowers Risks of Cancer
Studies show that regular intake of figs may reduce the risks of having cancer. It is fiber that works in preventing certain types of cancer such as colon cancer. It is known that fiber is helping the healthy movement of the bowels. The studies also show that consuming fruits which are rich in fiber leads to reduce breast cancer risk. Then, it is good to prevent cancer by consuming figs rather than to cure after it had happened.
8. Lowers Risks of Diabetes
Next, research pointed that by consuming figs fruits, it may help you to lower the risks of having diabetes. It is chlorogenic acid contained in figs which play a role in lowering blood sugar levels and controlling blood glucose levels in type-II diabetes mellitus.
Besides, the presence of fiber may help in promoting functional control of diabetes. Also, the potassium in figs helps to balance the amount of sugar contained from the food we have eaten. Thus, it is best to have figs as your food option, since it will help you to prevent the risks of having diabetes.
9. Lowers Risks of Heart Disease
Due to the presence of potassium contained in figs, this nutrient takes part in controlling heart rate and blood pressure. In fact, dried figs are good sources of minerals such as potassium which may help you to lower the risks of heart disease. Also, the iron in figs is beneficial in promoting the production of red blood cells for cellular oxidation.
In another hand, pectin which is a soluble fiber also plays a role in controlling the cholesterol. Further, dried figs contain phenol, Omega-3, and Omega-6 which may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. For this reason, it has been proven that nutrients in figs are essential to help prevents the risks of heart disease.
Related: Symptoms of Heart Attack
10. Prevents Hypertension
The high amount of sodium in our body may lead to hypertension. Nevertheless, you can eat good foods that may prevent the risks of having this disease. While figs are high in potassium and low in sodium, it is being the best way to help. Also, the presence of potassium helps to control the blood pressure. Consequently, adding figs to your diet menu may help you to deal with hypertension problems.
11. Prevents Macular Degeneration
Fruits and vegetables that are rich in vitamins may help to prevent the macular degeneration. As a result, people may consume carrots to promote the health of eyes. However, as this article described, figs are having a role in avoiding the risks of having this disease. By consuming figs regularly, it will help you to maintain the good vision. In addition, consuming banana will also help you to prevent the risks of macular degeneration.
12. Prevents Inflammations
Inflammation happens when the immune system fights against something that may lead to the harmful condition. It may be caused by various ways including the presence of bacteria, viruses, or fungi. Also, it can be caused by chemicals reaction. Then, as figs fruits contain an excellent source of best nutrients, this fruit will help you to act as an anti-inflammatory.
13. Prevents Insomnia
The next benefit you can get from consuming figs is the way it works on inducing good sleep quality. It is due to the presence of tryptophan in figs which helps to prevent insomnia. Thus, if you want to have a good sleep time, try consuming figs as well. In addition, drink milk before you go to sleep may also help you to sleep really well.
Related: Health Benefits of Deep Sleep
14. Prevents Kidney Stones
It is shown that by consuming figs daily will help to remove the kidney stones. Simply boil 6 figs in a cup of water, then they will be ready to be eaten as food. In other words, by consuming figs, it takes you to have an alternative way to prevent the risks of having kidney stones.
15. Lowers Risks of Asthma
The health benefits of figs include its use in lowering the risks of asthma. It works as it maintains the good respiratory conditions in bronchitis. Then, by consuming figs, you help yourself to prevent the symptoms and the risks of asthma.
Related: Symptoms of Asthma
16. Lower Risks of Sexual Dysfunction
For centuries, figs have been recommended as a way to promote the sexual desire. It is known that figs fruits act as an aphrodisiac. This fruit is lowering the risks of sexual dysfunction such as sterility, and erectile dysfunction. At this point, it is due to the presence of zinc, manganese, and magnesium which help in promoting the health of reproductive system.
17. Improves Body Metabolism System
Scientifically, figs are having a great role in improving body metabolism system. Due to the presence of the B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, pyridoxine, folates, and pantothenic acid, figs works on maintaining the body’s health. These fruits are increasing the work in metabolism for carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. Thus, with the figs consumption, it helps us to promote the biochemical processes which allow our body to grow, reproduce, repair the damage from certain diseases.
18. Promotes Health of Digestion System
The healthier our digestion system, then the healthier our body is. The absorption that is happening in our digestion system leads our body for having best benefit from nutrients. Furthermore, it is due to the presence of fiber which has a great role in promoting the health of bowel function. Also, it prevents from constipation and eliminates diarrhea. In other words, it is undeniable that figs take part in promoting the good digestion system.
Related: Health Benefits of Fiber
19. Promotes Bones Health
We all know that calcium is the main nutrient which helps in improving the bones health. In the same way, the rich amount of calcium in figs absolutely promotes the bones health. As a fact, 100 grams of figs serving provides you 2% calcium of your daily calcium requirements. Thus, it strengthens bones and reduces the risks of osteoporosis.
Also, it is rich in phosphorus which is repairing the damage and degradation to bones. Furthermore, potassium is also influencing in regulates the amount of sodium which may lead to urinary calcium loss. Then, if you want to improve the bone density, you may have fig as your daily food option to choose.
20. Relieves A Sore Throat
Surprisingly, figs are also beneficial for relieving the sore throat. It is due to the presence of high mucilage content in figs that helps to recover a sore throat faster. Then, by simply add figs on your meal, may help you to maintain the throat health.
Related: Benefits of Blackberry Leaves – Health Benefits of Bitter Kola
21. Cures Anemia
As described before, figs are a good source of iron. The ideal amount of iron levels in our body helps to prevent anemia. Otherwise, the deficiency of iron may lead to the risks of anemia. Moreover, it is known that iron is having a great role in carrying hemoglobin in our body. Thus, you may do not need to have any supplement to cure the anemia, since you have figs as a natural treatment.
Related: Anemia Treatments
22. Cures Chicken Pox
Studies show that early stages of chicken pox can be treated with figs. Then, you do not have to worry if you struggle from chicken pox since you have figs to recover.
23. Removes Harmful Estrogens
Our body naturally produces the estrogen when it is needed. Though, the more estrogen contained in our body, it may lead to weight gain, headaches, and other certain diseases. To remove this harmful estrogen, figs is always ready to help you. Then, it concludes that everything we take must be in an ideal amount, right?
24. Boosts Immune Health
The health benefits that we get from consuming figs is linked to boosting our immune health. As figs fruits provide a wide range of vitamin and minerals, they act as the source of antioxidants which supports in boosting immune health.
Figs Fruits for Beauty Treatments
25. Promotes Skin Health – It is amazing to know that by consuming figs fruits, they will help to promote our skin health. Here we list the benefits you can get of figs consumption for beauty treatment.
26. Anti Ageing – Figs have anti-aging properties which make your skin youthful. Further, due to the presence of vitamin C contained, figs also helps to lighten the skin tone.
27. Skin Moisturizer – Second, the high amount of omega 3 fatty acids helps you to moisturize the skin.
28. Maintains Skin Health – Then, the fiber in figs helps to remove toxins and prevent skin conditions like acne and psoriasis. It is also known that the enzymes in figs are having a role in removing dead skin cells.
29. Skin Scrub – For some tips, you can make a homemade scrub using fig paste. Simply mix figs with orange juice and olive oil and apply them to your face. The paste will be beneficial to cure the acne and promoting healthy skin.
- Health Benefits of Jalapeno
- Health Benefits of Aloe Vera
- Health Benefits of Rosewater
- Benefits of Castor Oil
30. Promotes Hair Health – Not only for promoting the skin health, figs is also essential for improving the hair health. Then, you can see the health benefits list of figs consumption for hair health below.
31. Promotes Hair Smooth – The high amount of calcium is involving in the formation of collagen in your hair.
32. Hair Growth – Since figs are rich in vitamin C and E, it prevents hair loss and promotes the hair growth.
33. Prevents Grey Hair – Third, figs offer you copper enzyme which helps for preventing hair from graying.
34. Hair Conditioner – For some tips, you can use figs juice as your hair mask and your hair conditioner in order having moisturized and healthy hair.
- Health Benefits of Warm Water Shower
- Health Benefits of Red Spinach
- Benefits of Castor Oil
- Health Benefits of Sugar Snap Peas
In summarizing, figs fruits is having a great role in promoting good health in our body. As the consequence, we also list the tips for consuming these fruits below.
Tips for Consuming
- While shopping figs, look for the fresh one which has soft texture skin, deep color, and mildly sweet pleasant aroma. It is a must to avoid the one which has bruises, brownish spots, and very soft texture skin which indicates spoiled fruits
- Next, wash them thoroughly in cold water to prevent any access to pesticides and insecticides.
- Then, make sure figs fruits are being wrapped well. Put them in a plastic pouch and keep them in the refrigerator for 2-3 days in order having the freshest condition. It is important to keep them at room temperature and away from direct sunlight exposure. Meanwhile, the dried figs can stay for almost 6-8 months.
- It is known that these fruits can be directly eaten without any addition process. Moreover, make figs into a cake and ice creams are always being a good idea for the sweet food menu.
- Fifth, add chopped figs to your salad bowl. Then, combine it with spinach leaves, and cheese for the delicious taste. Also, simply add them to your breakfast menu such as sandwiches and soup for energizing your day.
- It is recommended to consume figs wisely. Not too much, not too less. At this matter, if you eat too many figs, it may lead you to have diarrhea and tooth decay since the high amount of sugar contained.
- Further, avoid yourself to eat the figs leaves and the unripe one because they may contain toxins inside. It is due to the production of white latex which can cause burning skin. Also, the compounds contained in figs latex may lead you to some allergic reactions such as nausea, headaches, and itches. If so, seeing a doctor is the best way to help.
Then, in conclusion, figs fruits are really providing many health beneficial nutrients you may have never expected. At this point, you may have to consume figs since they also have wonderful taste as a food. So, give yourself a try to eat figs fruits in order having the health benefits of figs fruit.
- Health Benefits of White Wine
- Health Benefits of White Chocolate
- Health Benefits of Snow Peas
- Health Benefits of Salad Greens
- Health Benefits of Dried Fruits