Almond (kernel, drupe), which is commonly used for food ingredients actually is the seed of the almond tree (Prunus dulcis). This plant is otherwise known as “badam” and originates in the Middle East. Almond trees that grows wild is toxic due to a chemical it contains named Amygdalin Glycoside.
The compound can further react into hydrogen cyanide if the seeds are consumed. That said, cultivated almond including those that are being sold in the market does not contain any of these toxic compounds. Here is it: Benefits of Almond Oil for Health and Beauty
Things You Don’t Know about Almond Pulp
Almond is a common food ingredient. The savoury taste of almond makes it a perfect companion for desserts such as ice cream or pudding. Not only that; almond on its own is also edible! Almond flour can also be used for baking. By mixing several almond seeds with water followed by sublimation, we can already create the healthy almond milk. The pulp from the creation of almond milk can again be used to bake tasty yet nutritious cookies.
Nutritional Values of Almond
Almond pulp that comes from almond milk also contains high nutritional values. Despite some contents of almond dissolves inside the almond milk, the rest of the contents remain inside the pulp. Among these are the Vitamin E that hardly dissolves with water. Non-saturated fatty acids inside almond is also very good for the body. This type of fatty acid reduces negative cholesterol while increasing the number of positive cholesterol inside the body. Aside from that, almond pulp is also rich with minerals such as manganese, potassium, calcium, selenium, magnesium, iron and zinc.
Health Benefits of Almond Pulp
Here are several health benefits of almond pulp for your body:
1. As a Source of Vitamin E
Almond pulp contains Vitamin E as much as 25mg per 100g. This value is equals to 170% of the recommended AKG levels. Vitamin E helps in maintaining the skin and also cell membranes.
2. As a Source of Energy
Almond pulp has a pretty high concentration of saturated fatty acids. While then fat itself is useful as a source of energy for the body. The amount of energy stored inside it is equivalent to those inside simple carbohydrate food.
3. As a Source of Antioxidant
Vitamin E inside almond pulp plays a role as an antioxidant that reduces extreme radicals inside the body.
4. Helps Vitamin Absorption
Unsaturated fat content inside almond pulp helps the digestion of vitamins that dissolve fat, which are vitamins A, D, E and K.
5. Increases Enzyme Functions
Enzymes need cofactors in order to function well. The function of cofactors is conducted by vitamin B complexes such as riboflavin, thiamine, niacin, folate as well as vitamin B6, in which almond pulps are rich at. This is also the Health Benefits of Tropical Almond
6. Decreases the Rate of Bad Cholesterol
Almond pulps contain rich resources of unsaturated fact that reduces LDL or bad cholesterols. Almond pulp has oleic acid which also helps to reduce cholesterol. Bad cholesterol is surely dangerous for your well being, and it could further bring you towards other health risks of high levels of saturated fat and cholesterol.
7. The oleic acid inside it also helps to reduce the risk of other cardiac diseases, such as coronary heart diseases, stroke, etc.
8. Good for weight loss. Its fiber-rich plus low-calorie traits have made it one of the most successful weight loss foods.
9. Maintains skin moisture and tightness, thanks to Vitamin E.
10. Increases metabolism, simply because it is rich in fiber. An ounce of almond nuts itself contain 4 grams of fiber, which is equals to 14% of the recommended daily fiber intake.
11. Helps the absorption of nutrients. This is also the Health Benefits of Almonds for Weight Loss
12. It boosts the immune system, thanks to the presence of dietary fibers, vitamins, and minerals.
13. Contains Healthy Fats. This is also the Health Benefits of Bitter Almond Essential Oil
Almond pulp contains healthy fats, such as Oleic Acid. This type of acid is also found in olive oil as well as avocado.
14. Rich in fatty acids such as omega 3, omega 6, and omega 9. Those are also healthy fats that don’t lead to cardiovascular sicknesses.
15. Just like the almond nuts, almond pulp is still high in protein. Protein helps to regenerate body cells as well as building body muscle.
Now that you know what the benefits are, here are some other interesting information about almond that you might want to know.v
Other Ways to Use Almond Pulp for Beauty Purpose
Almond pulp, which usually is the leftover product of almond milk can be “recycled” again to make other creations. As quoted from Dapur Ika, almond pulp can be reused for the following;
- Make a body scrub. Almond pulp is high in vitamin E, which makes the skin healthy. All you need is to mix the pulp with water and your essential oil of choice, to be followed by a few drops of coconut oil.
- Use it as a baking ingredient for your favourite pastries, cookies, pancakes, and much more.
- Include it inside the dough for making meat products such as patties and meatballs.
- Combine it with smoothie. Almond also helps fulfilling your protein and fibre needs, hence making you feel fuller.
Recommendations on Consuming Almond Pulp
Almond pulp, such as those found in almond milk is highly recommendable for anyone who is lactose intolerant or is in a certain diet regime. There are numerous benefits of almond milk. Per cahiya.com, almond milk is gluten free, low on carbohydrate as well as protects your body from cholesterol.
Precautions When Consuming Almond Pulp
Almond pulp is a product of almond, while then almond itself is categorized as a form of nuts. Almond allergies also exist, and anyone who possess high sensitivity towards nut products should also recognize the allergy reactions caused by almonds and the pulp. Common allergic reactions towards almond include abdominal pain, nausea as well as rashes.
It should also be noted that almond also has high number of calories. In this regard, diabetes patients should consume it at a moderate portion in order to get the benefits of almond for their disease.
Those are the health benefits of almond pulp for your body. In fact, not only almond pulp that contains positive nutrients as well as good benefits. Thus, it is recommended for you to use it as an ingredient for food or snack to complete your daily nutritional needs. Hope it works!