There are many choices of staple foods you can choose as your main diet. Starting from rice, potato, sago, meat, fish, wheat, and many more. In many cultures, people have also picked kamansi or breadfruit as their staple foods. A staple food is a food that packed with high calorie of energy and three important macro-nutrients (carbs, proteins, and fats) needed for health.
So, basically they are main source of daily energy need. A kamansi or breadfruit is qualified to be a staple food. It is rich in carbs, dietary fiber, proteins, and its seeds is also edible. The seeds can be baked and roasted, sometimes it’s eaten raw. This is bonus point of eating kamansi. Apart from being daily source of energy, kamansi seeds also has health benefits. Kamansi seeds packed with chemicals and nutrients needed for health. What are those benefits? Find it out here. (See also : Health Benefits of Kharbuja Seeds)
Nutritional Value of Kamansi Seeds
You can get the most of kamansi seeds’ health benefits when it’s eaten raw. Roasting kamansi seeds may decrease the values of its contained nutrition. Here is the complete list of nutritional values per 100 g serving size:
- 194 kcal Calories
- 56.27 mg Water
- 799 kJ Energy
- 7.4 g (14.80% of Daily Values) Protein
- 5.59 g (15.97% DV) Total Fat (lipid)
- 1.5 g Ash
- 29.24 g (22.49%) Carbohydrates
- 5.2 g (13.68%) Total dietary fiber
- 36 mg (3.60%) Calcium (Ca)
- 3.67 mg (45.88%) Iron (Fe)
- 54 mg (12.86%) Magnesium (Mg)
- 175 mg (25.00%) Phosphorus (P)
- 941 mg (20.02%) Potassium (K)
- 25 mg (1.67%) Sodium (Na)
- 0.9 mg (8.18 %) Zinc (Zn)
- 1.148 mg (127.56%) Copper (Cu)
- 0.142 mg (6.17 %) Manganese (Mn)
- 0.482 mg (40.17%) Thiamine
- 0.301 mg (23.15%) Riboflavin
- 0.438 mg (2.74 %) Niacin
- 0.877 mg (17.54%) Pantothenic acid
- 0.32 mg (24.62%) Pyridoxine
- 53 µg (13.25%) Folate
- 53 µg Folate (food)
- 53 µg Folate (DEF)
- 6.6 mg (7.33%) Vitamin C
- 13 µg (1.86%) Vitamin A (RAE)
- 256 IU Vitamin A (IU)
- 1.509 g Fatty acids (Total saturated)
- 0.999 g Palmitic acid 16:00
- 0.51 g Stearic acid 18:00
- 0.712 g Fatty acids (Total monounsaturated)
- 0.03 g Palmitoleic acid 16:1
- 0.682 g Oleic acid 18:1
- 2.977 g Fatty acids (total polyunsaturated)
- 2.29 g Linoleic acid 18:2
- 0.687 g Linolenic acid
- 0.123 g (27.95%) Tryptophan
- 0.385 g (21.88%) Threonine
- 0.443 g (26.50%) Isoleucine
- 0.563 g (15.23 %) Leucine
- 0.57 g (17.05 %) Lysine
- 0.096 g Methionine
- 0.116 g Cystine
- 0.797 g Phenylalanine
- 0.544 g Tyrosine
- 0.535 g (25.33%) Valine
- 0.494 g Arginine
- 0.207 g (16.80%) Histidine
- 0.336 g Alanine
- 0.817 g Aspartic acid
- 1.036 g Glutamic acid
- 0.465 g Glycine
- 0.369 g Proline
- 0.496 g Serine
*Percent Daily Values are based on 2000 calorie diet intake
Recommended articles :
Now, let’s jump to health benefits of kamansi seeds :
1. An exceptional source of energy
Kamansi or breadfruit seeds contain excellent amount of energy at 799 kJ. It’s means, kamansi can be a good replacement to more common source of energy i.e. beans, peanut, etc. It is rare to find a grain with high amount of energy such as these seeds, as they are not supposed to be the source. But, you can say Kamansi seeds is an exception based on the facts.
2. It assists weight loss
Are you on weight loss journey and still trying to look for what diet is right for you? Then, kamansi seeds is suitable for you. Here are the reasons :
- Kamansi contains a lot of energy (approximately at 191 kcal). This is what you need before you do intense excercises to burn the fat.
- Kamansi seeds contains somewhat high quantity of fiber. This is a good sign that you don’t need to eat much after doing excercise due to extended feeling of fullness from the meal before.
- Kamansi seed carries only minimal amount of fat at 5.59 g per 100 g serving size. This is obviously the most important point here. A low fat food is essential in effort to reduce body weight. It means your on-going weight loss program will be more effective and less time-consuming. You must eat less and less fat while doing exercises if you want a satisfying result.
- Kamansi seed provides you with enough protein. Protein is an important part in weight loss. You will need them to help burning the fat. Also, protein is important in building muscles. Normally, you will find many protein in poultry meat, eggs, beef, and other farm animals, but kamansi seeds is a good alternative.
Well, with the mentioned reasons above, do you still hesitate to include kamansi seeds in your diet plan?
3. It helps you to gain muscle
If you are a gym doer, your purpose is either to lose some weight or to gain some muscles. Hence, the importance of protein in your diet is not really high. But, if you are a bodybuilder, consuming high protein foods is a must! All that cardio and weight lifting will be in vain if you are not supplied with enough protein.
So, to get started you must stock some protein-rich foods up in your storage. Try kamansi seeds first. For beginning phase you won’t likely need many protein, so kamansi seeds is a good choice here. If you wish to step up, you may need better source of protein i.e. meat, eggs, beef, etc.
4. Rich in fiber, makes kamansi seeds a healthy food for digestive system
Did you ever have hard time when defecating? If so, it’s probably because your body doesn’t have enough fiber. Fiber-rich foods is important to maintain a healthy digestive system. It’s important due to its role in absorbing and extracting foods’ nutrients and liquids, as well as easing the passage of stool in anus.
You can find many organic foods with high fiber, some popular choice are papaya, spinach, and potato. But, you should not overlook the details of kamansi seeds. These seeds also have respectable amount of fiber at 5.2 g per 100 g serving size.
5. Maintain bones and teeth health & prevent osteoporosis as early as possible with kamansi seeds
This is another health benefits of kamansi seeds. Surprisingly, these seeds contain rich amount of minerals (with more than 8 varieties of minerals, and potassium as the highest number, followed by calcium).
Seeing that osteoporosis (and other rheumatic/bones diseases in general) is partially caused by calcium deficiency due to low calcium diet, a good diet with enough calcium is important. You can get it from eating kamansi seeds. Also, don’t forget to do exercises and be careful not to break your bones. (You may want to read : Benefits of Turmeric for Bones)
Cautions in Using Kamansi Seeds
There is no significant case about kamansi seeds. You can eat it safely.