Goji berries are a bright red color fruit with high beta-carotene is become widely sell in the market. Some people might know what a goji berry is, but some people might not. But nowadays there are a lot of beauty products contain goji berry such as body lotion, shampoo or any other skincare. This is due to the benefits of goji berry in skincare. Therefore, industrial cosmetic start to introduce goji berry as one of the natural ingredients for the skin and hair maintenance.
Goji berry which also known as wolf berry, is famous as a health food in western countries started from the early 21st century. It claims has several other health benefits. Such as rich of vitamin C that can help to boost the immune system and avoid disease. There is no scientific evidence, but in some people, it really helps keep the body healthy.
Goji Berry Nutritional Information
Goji berries are a good source of vitamins and minerals. While the carbohydrates are also a complex carbs. This means the blood sugar will able to raise slowly if consuming the berry. Here are some of the nutrition which make this fruit to be important for maintaining healthy skin:
- Minerals: Goji berries contain 11 of the 22 essential dietary trace minerals, including calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, and selenium.
- Amino Acids: The berried contain 8 essential amino acids.
- Vitamin C: Goji berries contain a high amount of vitamin C.
- Carotenoids: These are flavonoids nutrients like beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, lutein, lycopene, crytoxanthin, and xanthophyll.
- Polysaccharides: A component that have antioxidant properties which can firm and tighten and increase hydration.
- Fiber : The berry contain enough fiber which good for the digestive system.
- Vitamin A: Goji berry also a good source of vitamin A.
- Iron : It contain iron which help to stimulate the red blood cell.
- Zinc : Goji berry also contain some amount of zinc.
Below are 10 benefits of goji berry in skincare:
1. Sun Protection
It brings benefit to protect the skin form the sun. Therefore, it helps to reduce the effect of UV rays radiation such as dark spotted. It also help to remedy the damage skin cell due to the sun.
The berry is a good anti-oxidant for the skin. Therefore, it can eliminate the effect of free radical to the skin appearance. It makes a younger look and healthy skin. This is the same health benefits of almond tea.
3. Treats Inflammatory Skin Conditions
Goji berries have an anti-inflammatory properties which is good for reducing any kind of inflammation. This is including eczema, psoriasis and rosacea. It also helps to treat acne inflammation by soothe the redness and reduce inflammation.
4. Moisture The Skin
Consuming the berry can help to restore some dry and dehydrated skin. They restore hydration in dry skin and plump up the appearance of your skin. Therefore, it is good to moisture the skin.
5. Boosts Collagen Production
The benefits of goji berry for the skincare is including can boost collagen production. Vitamin C is known to encourage collagen production in the skin. It can protects the skin from oxidative stress and maintain the skin’s elasticity. Furthermore, it will maintain the skin stay supple, smooth and firm. This is the same health benefits of bone marrow.
6. Improve Skin Tone
People who suffering from hyperpigmentation can consume goji berries to improve their skin tone. The contain of vitamin C, beta carotene and amino acids will helps maintain a smooth radiant complexion.
7. Anti-Fungal Properties
Another benefits of goji berry in skincare is as an anti-fungal food. Therefore, it is good to avoid candida or skin yeast infections. It balances the good bacteria and preventing candida from multiplying or causing yeast infections.
8. Strong Antibacterial Effects
This red berry also contains antibacterial properties. Hence, it is good to acne-sufferers. It will fight the bad acne-causing bacteria and purify the blood, reducing the breakouts. This is the same health benefits of fingerroot.
9. Avoid Wrinkle
Another benefit is as an anti-aging which can promotes longevity and youthful looking skin. It helps to avoid wrinkle and fine lines. Furthermore, it will reduce the early aging signs and bring a smooth skin appearance.
10. Promote A Glowing Skin
Goji berries are rich in beta carotene. Therefore, they give skin a healthy glow when consumed. This is the most important parts of health benefits of beta carotene. [AdSense-C]
Recommended Intake of Goji Berry
There are some recommended ways to gain the benefits of goji berry in skincare. They are as below:
- Dried goji berries are widely sell in the supermarket. Mix it into the breakfast cereal or yogurt. Fresh goji berries also can cooked with meat. Daily consume of the berry can benefit to the skin.
- Use goji berry as a mask. Soak some goji berries with some water in a small bowl. Mash up the goji berries into a pulp. Add some honey. Since there is some health benefits of honey for skin. Smear this on a clean face. Let it penetrate for 10 minutes then rinse off with warm water.
- Make a homemade goji berry tea by steeping some goji berries in a cup of boiling water for several minutes. Sip the tea anytime when it’s ready.
Side Effects of Goji Berry
There are some side effects of goji berry that need to be concern, such as:
- It is better to consult with the medical practitioner before begin to consume goji berries. Since goji berries can interact with any medications.
- It also can result mild digestive issues. Therefore, better to avoid this fruit when having chronic digestive or gastrointestinal issues.
- It suggested to avoid goji berries if you have low blood sugar and have low or high blood pressure.
- Breastfeeding or pregnant woman recommend to avoid the fruit since it can cause miscarriage.
- Goji berry may contain sulfites that can cause an allergic reaction in some people, such as itchiness, redness or swollen parts of the body.
Goji berry is mostly grown in the western and north central parts of China. The ripe berries commonly dried before exporting. Some other countries try to cultivated this berry. However, to grow well, it needs an environment with good temperature and enough sun. Therefore, not all the countries can growth the plan successfully.