Epsom Salt, What is this?
Ironically, despite its surname, Epsom salt is not salty and actually taste rather bitter and unpalatable. The surname came from its molecular structure MgSO4(H2O)x where 0≤x≤7. It is often encountered in the form of MgSO4•7H2O or heptahydrate sulfate mineral epsomite, sometimes abbreviated as magnesium sulfate or MgSO4. Its first name came from 1675 when Dr.Grew obtained the crystal of magnesium sulfate by evaporating the mineral water of Epsom, in Surrey, England.
While it differs greatly from table salt we use for seasoning the food we cook, Epsom salt has a similar tiny, colorless crystal appearance like table salt and it also dissolves in water as it breaks down into its elements : magnesium and sulfate. These elements are exactly where all the great benefits from Epsom salt came from.
Research shows that many people lack important nutrient due to the combinations of issues including increment consumption of processed foods, overuse medications, and overdevelopment of agricultural land that sheds essential minerals like magnesium and other trace elements from the soil. So here comes Epsom salt to the rescue! Some of the benefits of Epsom salt for our body includes:
- Replenishes the magnesium deficiency in the body which can cause several diseases.
- Relieve stress and relaxes the body by helping body to produce hormone serotonin.
- Elevate energy and stamina levels by affecting the production of ATP (adenosine triphosphate).
- Ease pain and relieve inflammation
- Epsom salt softens and neutralizes odor skin.
- Aid muscles and nerves function properly by regulating electrolytes in the body
- Help prevent heart disease and strokes by improving blood circulation, lowering blood pressure, protecting the elasticity of arteries, preventing blood clots and reducing the risk of sudden heart attack deaths.
- Increase the effectiveness of insulin in the body, helping to lower the risk or severity of diabetes.
- Relieves constipation by increasing water in the intestines.
- Eliminates toxins from the body by triggering reverse osmosis
- Benefits of Bathing in Epsom Salts and Baking Soda
- Benefits of Baking Soda for Teeth and Overall Oral Health
What About Baking Soda?
Here’s the health benefits of epsom salt and baking soda bath. Baking soda or Sodium bicarbonate is an alkaline chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. Its superpowers come from its alkalinity that can alter pH level when mixed with acid. Here are some of its benefits :
- Calm indigestion by neutralizing acid in the stomach
- Soothe the redness, itching, and stinging that are signs of a mild reaction to an insect bite.
- Hold off tooth decay and keep your gums and mouth in good shape
- Control odors by changing the pH balance
- Some chemotherapy drugs need alkaline conditions.
- Treat kidney disease by removing acid from blood that can no longer be removed by kidneys.
Both Epsom Salt and Baking Soda Have Their Own Benefits, So What Would Happen If We Mix Them?
Wonderous benefits I must say! Many people enjoy a combination of Epsom salts and baking soda especially after cancer treatments for helping to detoxify the body.
Sulfate from Epsom salt is essential as a phase 2 liver detoxification. phase 2 liver detoxification is the detoxification pathway that excretes waste in urine by depending on co-factors such a sulfur. After binding toxins with the sulfur component in sulfate salts, the former fat¬-soluble toxin stored in the liver tissue is metabolized and become water soluble. It is especially critical for cancer patients who are taking high doses of chemotherapy drugs. Toxins accumulation from drugs and the environment will remain stored and eventually cause dysfunction to the body without sulfur or other substances to bind to impurities.
On the other hand, giving sodium bicarbonate to metastatic breast cancer mouse models has been shown to slow down the formation of spontaneous metastases and reduce the occurrence that cancer would spread to the liver. Researchers reasonably assume that we could lower peritumoral and intratumoral acidosis by using the buffer such as sodium bicarbonate.
Research plainly suggests that Epsom salt and baking soda can be used as an alternative to naturally defend against cancer as well as strengthen immune coordination.
This is a basic recipe you can try at home:
- 1 cup Epsom salt (around 273 grams or 13,5 tbsp)
- 1 cup baking soda
- ¼ cup Himalayan salt (optional)
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Store Epsom salt-baking soda blend in glass containers and used about 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup for every bath.
- Pour hot water into the bath, not scalding but enough to make you sweat.
- Soak yourself in the water all the way up to your neck for at least 20 minutes.
- Don’t use harsh soaps or shampoos as your pores are open after a hot bath
- Apply a natural moisturizer after the bath, don’t use perfumes, dyes or chemicals
- You might feel a bit dizzy after the bath, hydrate yourself with filtered water before and after.
- Don’t immediately eat before and after bath
More health benefits of epsom salt and baking soda bath
For this bath essential oils are optional but it is a wonderful addition to a bath because their therapeutic benefits are easily absorbed by the skin. This is top Essential Oils that you can choose from for maximum health benefit of this bath:
- Clove: Acts as antibacterial and antioxidant protection.
- Cypress: Improves blood circulation and reduces varicose veins
- Eucalyptus: Improves respiratory issues and purifies the body.
- Frankincense: Builds immunity, reduces the appearance of skin imperfections, and reduces inflammation.
- Geranium: promotes the appearance of clear, and healthy looking skin.
- Ginger: Supports joints, improves digestion and relieves nausea.
- Grapefruit: Supports metabolism and cellulite reduction.
- Lavender: eases feelings of tension, improve moods, and soothes skin irritations.
- Oregano: Has powerful antimicrobial properties and good for recovering from cold faster.
- Peppermint: Boosts energy, headache and muscle pain relief.
- Rose: Great for creating glowing skin.
- Rosemary: Thicken hair naturally and can improve brain function.
- Tea tree oil: natural anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and can help stimulate the immune system.
- Sandalwood: grounding and balancing with a mediation-like effect. also, act as a natural aphrodisiac that improves libido.
You can also mix essential oils to enhance each’s benefits. This blend Epsom salt and baking soda as main ingredients evidently are giving great benefit for health whether you’re suffering from diseases or simply just want to relax. Indeed, there are many health benefits of epsom salt and baking soda bath.