8 Health Benefits of Brushing Teeth with Baking Soda
Baking soda has scientific name Sodium bicarbonate (IUPAC name: sodium hydrogen carbonate) and the formula is NaHCO3. The compound is popular in cooking, especially for baking as leavening agent. In addition, the using of baking soda is not only for cooking but also many more including for cleaning. Or you can also read in benefits of bathing in Epsom salts and baking soda and benefits of washing hair with baking soda.
Baking soda has been used by some people as an alternative to toothpaste. Nowadays, there are several manufacturers of toothpaste incorporate baking soda into their formula. Journal of Clinical Dentistry (June 2008) also found that baking soda products is more effective to support oral health. Some of health benefits of brushing teeth with baking soda are:
- Cleans teeth effectively
Baking soda however can effectively clean teeth. Brush teeth with baking soda means clean all of the parts of the teeth moreover to the deepest parts of the gum. It is one of important benefit because brush the teeth only with tooth paste is not enough to fight the bacteria in mouth.
- Saves money
Some products that support for health of your teeth are cost more money, while you can easily find baking soda with affordable price anywhere. It will save the money as well as improve the health of teeth effectively.
- Reduces bad breath
The balancing of acid level in the mouth while brushing the teeth with baking soda however can reduce bad breath. Furthermore, it is also due to the cleanliness of mouth. When the teeth are healthy, it will provide fresh breath that also according to healthy foods you consume.
- Reduces the risk of gum diseases
The diseases in gum probably occur due the bacteria in mouth and brush the teeth with baking soda have been believed can fight the bacteria. As well as the health benefit of brushing teeth with baking soda can clean all parts of the teeth effectively, it also supports for the health of gum.
- Removes plaque
Plaque is a condition that commonly occurs to many people in the world. There are many products to treat the conditions while brush the teeth with baking soda is one of the most simple thing you can do. However, make sure that you brush teeth at least one times a day with baking soda to get the benefits successfully.
- Acts as whitening for the teeth
There are some ways you can do to whiten teeth and brush the teeth with baking soda will whiten the teeth successfully. In addition, every person wants to have white teeth because it influences many aspects in life and that means the teeth are healthy.
Other benefits of brushing teeth with baking soda are including:
- Takes care mouth ulcers off
- Reduces the risk swelling gum
How to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda?
Here are simple steps to whiten teeth with baking soda:
- A bowl
- A teaspoon of baking soda
- Some water
- Put baking soda and some water in a bowl
- Mix them until they turned white paste.
- Take the toothbrush and put the paste on the toothbrush
- Brush your teeth as you usually do.
- When you are done, rinse mouth as with plain cold water.
- Avoid in using baking soda for bleeding gums, those who are wearing braces, or retainers.
- Make sure that the toothbrush is wet well before you put mixture of baking soda with water on it, as well as before you brush the teeth.
- Built a foamy paste in the mouth then start to brush your teeth for not more than two minutes.
- Fluoride is healthier for the teeth instead of baking soda. As an option, you can brush your baking soda with water then do it again but with your toothpaste as usual.
Along with the health benefits of brushing teeth with baking soda, there are still pros and controversies about brushing the teeth with baking soda. For support oral health you can also read in benefits of brushing teeth with castile soap, health benefits of brushing teeth with coconut oil and health benefits of xylitol for teeth.