The black ginger (Kaempferia parviflora) is an herbaceous plant that belongs to the Zingiberaceae family (ginger family). According to a study, black ginger is known as natural viagra because it contains a large number of PDE5 inhibitors, which act like viagra, but without negative side effects.
In traditional medicine performed in Thailand, since ancient times, black ginger is used as a natural testosterone booster for the treatment of erectile dysfunction in men and increases libido in women as well. Black ginger is available on the market in various forms of products. In addition to the benefits described above, you can also get a variety of health benefits of black ginger. Read also about Benefits of Ginger For Health
The black ginger (Kaempferia parviflora) has traditionally been used as food and folk medicine for over 1000 years in Thailand. Black ginger is usually pounded and used as a tea bag, while newly used to brew wine. The black ginger in the form of wine is increasingly being used in Thailand as a tonic and as an aphrodisiac.
The biological activities of black ginger extract (KPE) and polymethoxyflavones (PMFs) include anti-oxidative activity, and others have been shown to improve physical fitness performance in clinical studies as evidenced by several recent studies.
Health benefits of black ginger!
Usually black ginger grows in tropical Asia. In Thailand, the black ginger is known as Krachai Dam. Traditionally, black ginger is used as a common energy enhancer and tonic. In the region of Southeast Asia, especially in Thailand, to get its health benefits, people consume black ginger by making it as tea. Black ginger is also usually used as a traditional medicine to increase energy, and eliminate gastrointestinal complaints. Read also about Benefits of Drinking Ginger Tea.
- Black ginger extract can help control psoriasis flare
A research result shows that ginger extract may be able to stop the psoriasis flare before they start. Research funded by the National Psoriasis Foundation and the National Institutes of Health found that a natural molecule known as methoxyluteolin can block immune cell types called mast cells to release inflammatory responses.
According to Dr. Theoharides, a researcher at Tufts University, mast cells is a “universal alarm cell” that initiates an inflammatory cascade that leads to psoriasis. Dr. Theoharis explains that they can be triggered by infections, allergens, environmental factors such as pollution, or even emotional stress.
Mast cells encourage a series of inflammatory reactions, immune cell activation and release of alpha tumor necrosis factor, pro-inflammatory proteins, or cytokines, which are involved in psoriatic disease is the further explanation from Dr. Theoharides. Theoharides also said it’s also the only type of cell (mast cells) that stores ready-to-use TNF-alpha that can be released in seconds.
- Reduces inflammation
Theoharides and colleagues initially identified another natural molecule called luteolin, found in chamomile and artichokes, which could block mast cells. Then they discovered that methoxyluteolin, a different version of luteolin found in black ginger, is a more potent inhibitor of mast cells.
By doing some experiments, from the results of this study, they found that both luteolin and methoxyluteolin inhibit the ability of mast cells to initiate inflammation, and can even block inflammation when administered before the trigger forms a mast cell into action.
Theoharides says that besides being stronger, methoxyluteolin has two other advantages. Methoxyluteolin is more easily absorbed by the skin and has no color. These are two essential properties for topical treatment.
Theoharides explains that although methoxyluteolin and luteolin can be found in food sources, from consuming food it is not possible to obtain sufficient therapeutic effects. Thus, Theoharides developed a topical-containing methoxyluteolin extract.
Some people who have psoriasis and other skin disorders have tried lotions, but Theoharides says it looks like lotions cannot be a recipe for success.
Other health benefits of black ginger :
- Laboratory and animal studies have shown results that black ginger has beneficial for treating allergic diseases, being a metabolic and anti-diabetic stimulant. Experiments in humans show black ginger has the potential to improve peripheral blood circulation, strengthen blood vessels and relieve edema symptoms.
- The root of black ginger has antiplasmodial, anti-inflammatory and adaptogenic activity. Read also about Health Benefits of Ginger Root Tea.
- Black ginger also has an anti-allergy and antioxidant activity.
- Anti-fungal and antimicrobacterial activity are also properties possessed by black ginger.
- Black ginger is famous for its benefits to improve erectile function.
- Black ginger can also be used to increase sperm density.
- According to a study, black ginger can be used to improve the performance of physical fitness and muscular endurance.
- Using black ginger for stroke prevention is also done by doctors in Thailand.
- Helps lower blood glucose levels and improve blood flow is one of the benefits of black ginger.
- Another benefit of black ginger is to reduce triglycerides.
- You can also rely on black ginger to help with gastric ulcers.
- Black ginger is also known as a natural antidepressant.
- Black Ginger extract in improving physical performance of fitness and muscle endurance by increasing inflammation and energy metabolism.
- As a dietary supplement, black ginger has been made in various forms such as liquor or liquor plus honey, pills, capsules, and tablets. Used as a traditional Thai treatment, black ginger is believed to cure allergies, asthma, impotence, gout, diarrhea, dysentery, gastric ulcers, and diabetes. Beside using black ginger, look also about How to Prevent Diarrhea.
- Diuretics, prostate, anti-bloating, reducing abdominal symptoms due to gastrointestinal gases, all gum and mouth diseases are some cases that can be treated by using black ginger as a traditional treatment.
- To treat peptic ulcers & symptoms in most women’s menstrual problems can also be by using black ginger.
Side effects of black ginger!
Black ginger has mild side effects such as sweaty armpit and elevated body temperature. If you consume it in high doses, the side effects shown by black ginger are a speeding heartbeat and arrhythmias or irregular heart rhythms. So, you are not recommended to use black ginger in high doses. Heart palpitations limit the usefulness of this herb, especially in the elderly and those who have high blood pressure or heart disease are not recommended in using black ginger. Read the information about Symptoms of High Blood Pressure.
That is the health benefits of black ginger for your body. Make sure you talk to your doctor first, before consuming black ginger.