Chole bhature is a Punjab dish that is made from chana masala as well as bhatura. Chana masala is a type of masala that is made using chickpeas with oil, spices, onion, garlic, coriander, tomatoes, chillis as well as ginger. While then, bhatura is a fried bread that is made using maida flour, or soft flour.
This savoury yet vegetarian friendly dish is most commonly eaten with lassi yoghurt at breakfast, although many also see this dish to be suitable eaten anytime of the day, as a main meal or a snack. What are some of the health benefits of chole bhature?
What are its Health Benefits?
- Chickpeas are Loaded with Nutrients
Chickpeas contain moderate amount of calories but high amount of nutrients. They too, are also a source of proteins and fibre.
- Chickpeas Keep Your Appetite at Check
Since chickpeas are high in protein and health benefits fruit fibre cereal, they are fulfilling however they limit calorie intake for a lower appetite level.
- Chickpeas are Plant Based Proteins
Chickpeas, despite being loaded with proteins are actually plant based, which makes it suitable for vegetarians.
- Chickpeas for Weight Management
The moderate calorie levels and high protein plus fibre levels in chickpeas are all also very important for weight management.
- Chickpeas Support Blood Sugar Control
Other than being high in fibre, chickpeas also contain low glycemic index (GI) levels for the best blood sugar control.
- Chickpeas are Good for Digestion
Chickpeas are high in fibre, which is good for digestion by increasing the number of good bacteria in the gut for a smooth digestion.
- Chickpeas Protect Us from Diabetes
Chickpeas are a fibre-rich source of protein that prevents blood sugar levels to spike instantly, with low glycemic index too!
- Chickpeas are Anti-Cancer
Chickpeas produce saponins and butyrates, which prevent cancer growth and inflammation respectively.
- Chickpeas Guard Us from Heart Diseases
And finally, chickpeas are a rich source of potassium and magnesium, which are all very good for the heart!
How to Make Chole Bhature
Ingredients for Chole
- 2 cups of chickpeas
- 2 teaspoons of oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 benefits of cinnamon stick
- 3-4 cloves
- 1 teaspoon of whole pepper corn
- 3 green health benefits of cardamom
- 2 health benefits of black cardamom
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon of asafoetida
- 1 cup of tomatoes
- 1 cup of onions
- 1 teaspoon of ginger
- 1 teaspoon of benefits of garlic for asthma treatment
- 1 teaspoon of ajwain
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 green chilli
- 1 tea bag
- 1 tablespoon of butter
Steps for Making Chole
- In a pan, add the oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, pepper corns, and the cardamoms.
- Add chopped onions, and then sautee it. Include chopped ginger and garlic afterwards.
- Next, add turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida and also salt. Fry all of them together well. This creates the masala seasoning.
- Add water to deglaze the pan.
- Now, add the chole into the masala. The chole or chickpeas should be pressure cooked and left overnight.
- Stir it well, and add the tomatoes, sugar and salt.
- Next, add green chilli, water and ajwain seeds for the base.
- Place the tea bag in the chole for colouring.
- Simmer gently and cover it for an hour.
- Add lime juice and butter on top of the chole.
- Finally, sprinkle some coriander for garnishing.
Ingredients for Bhatura
- 2 cups of maida flour
- ½ teaspoon of yeast
- A pinch of salt
- Some oil
Steps for Making Bhatura
- Knead the flour together with salt, water some oil.
- Sprinkle yeast on top, and leave it for 2 to 3 hours for the yeast to work.
- Divide it into equal portions, and roll it out into circular shapes.
- Deep fry until it is golden brown, and serve.