Baccaurea Racemosa is known as Menteng, Kapundung, Mundung and Burmese Grape. Menteng is one of the most popular regional names in the city of Jakarta which was inspired by the other name of Baccaurea Racemosa.
According to the classification from United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), the species is from the Plantae kingdom, the Tracheobionta subkingdom, the Spermatophyta superdivision, the Magniolophyta division, the Magnoliopsida class, the Rosidae subclass, the Euphorbiales order, the Euphorbiaceae family, and the Baccaurea Lour. genus.
The species is often cultivated in Indonesia (Sumatra, Java, Bali, Borneo, & Sulawesi), Peninsular Malaysia or the Malay Peninsula, and Peninsular Thailand. The species is rare in Indonesia and it’s similar to Health Benefits of Longan
The trees grow up to 15-25 m tall and have 25-70 cm in diameter. The trees are used for furniture, basket weaving and ropes. The timber can be used for house building and boat building. The fruits are yellowish-green or reddish, have 2-2.6 cm in diameter and the flesh is reddish or white.
Here is the nutrition fact of Baccaurea Racemosa or Menteng:
- 65 calories (kcal) (amount per 100 gram)
- 20 mg Phosphorus
- 13 mg Calcium
- 7 g Protein
- 0 IU Vitamin A
- 0 IU Vitamin B1
- 3 mg Vitamin C
- 1 mg Iron
The fruit has a few benefits for our body if we consume them properly as we know the nutrients contained in the fruit from the list above, the combination of the nutrients is what makes the fruit beneficial.
Here are the health benefits of baccaurea racemosa:
- Vitamin A in the fruit boosts our immunity and is very important as we
- Vitamin A in the fruit is good for our eye health.
- Vitamin A and Vitamin C in the fruit function as anti-aging antioxidants for our skin.
- Vitamin B-1, which is also known as Thiamine, is an essential nutrient from the fruit that helps the body turn food into energy.
- Vitamin C in the fruit protects our skin and lowers the risk of heart disease, a healthy heart does affect our health in general, just like Health Benefits of Kiwi Fruit (#1 Top Vitamin C Source)
- The bark of the fruit can be used for the treatment of eye inflammation and puffy eyes or swollen eyelids.
- Calcium in the fruit is essential to maintain healthy bones and teeth, especially for children in growth stage, and prevent Osteoporosis.
- Phosphorus in the fruit works with calcium, filters our waste in our kidneys, repairs our tissue and cells.
- The fruit can be used to treat diarrhea, one of the most common digestive problems, juts like Health Benefits of Eating Cantaloupe for Breakfast
- Iron in the fruit can also be used to treat anemia by producing red blood cells. Anemia is the lack of Iron in our body that leads to a reduction in the number of red blood cells.
Meanwhile, there are many health benefits of baccaurea racemosa. The fruits are sour to sweet, the less sour the fruits and the less amount of seeds inside the flesh, the higher the demand of the fruits (Frutipedia). The fruits are usually eaten fresh, stewed and pickled.
More rare fruits with many health benefits here:
- Health Benefits of Jaboticaba – Rare Fruit from Brazil
- Health Benefits of Jackfruits
- Health Benefits of Kvass Fruits