Thai cuisine is one of the most popular Asian cuisines in the world, well loved by people from the east and the west. Thai cuisine is distinct in combining a refreshing and rejuvenating hot and sour flavours, as evident in pad thai as well as benefits of tom yum Thai soup, Thailand’s national dish and also the most internationally recognized Thai dish.
In fact, some say that Thai cuisine is a cross in between Chinese and Indian cuisine! But there is also one delicious dish that should not be missed, and that is pad see ew, or Thai stir fried noodles. What are the health benefits of pad see ew?
What is Pad See Ew?
Pad see ew or Thai dry stir fried health benefits rice noodles is a Chinese influenced noodle dish, similar to “char kway teow”or fried kwetiau noodles.
They are made using dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, garlic, flat rice noodles, vegetables, egg, and also meat slices that may come from pork, beef, chicken or shrimp.
What are its Health Benefits?
- Soya Beans Promote Healthy Weight Gain
First, soya beans promote healthy weight gain because they contain fibre and protein at the same time, which creates anti-obesity effect during weight gain when eaten in high amounts.
- Eggs are a Simple yet High Quality Protein Source
Health benefits of eggs in pregnancy contain simple yet high quality protein, mostly from the egg white. The egg white is also low fat and contains vitamin B2 too!
- Garlic Prevents Common Cold and Flu
Garlic is a classical remedy for common cold and flu, in fact better than placebo by 63%.
- Broccoli is Anti-Cancer
Broccoli contains bioactive compounds that may reduce the likelihood of cancer, ranging from breast, prostate, stomach, colorectal, kidney and bladder cancer.
- Rice Provides Energy
Rice contains energy because it is a type of carbohydrates, in which it contains at 28 grams. Carbohydrates, when metabolized by the body immediately turns into calories or energy.
How to Cook Beef Pad See Ew – The Recipe
- 225 g of beef, sliced thinly
- 4 teaspoons of black soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of cornstarch
- 5 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon of oyster sauce
- ½ teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of fish sauce
- Some white peppers
- 1 pound of wide rice noodles
- 3 cloves of health benefits of garlic for asthma treatment, sliced thinly
- 3 cups of Chinese health benefits of broccoli
- 2 eggs, beaten
- First, marinade the beef. Add and mix 1 teaspoon each of black soy sauce, cornstarch and vegetable oil. Coat the beef using the mixture, and set it aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the remaining sauce-based ingredients and stir well.
- Prepare the rice noodles at room temperature. If the noodles are too cold, boil in hot water first to make them loose. Make sure to drain the boiled water from the noodles before use.
- Oil the noodles so that they don’t stick easily into the wok.
- Heat the wok until high temperature, indicated by smoke that starts to appear. Spread 1 tablespoon of oil around it evenly to coat.
- Sear the beef until it is 80% done, and place it back on the plate.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to stir fry the garlic. Move around constantly to prevent getting burnt.
- Immediately add the Chinese broccoli, and stir fry for 20 seconds.
- Pour the noodles, and continue stir frying.
- Spread the sauce mixture on top of the noodles and vegetables, and continue stir frying gently for another 20 seconds. Add the beef afterwards.
- Add another tablespoon of oil into the wok, and add the beaten eggs. Scramble them into smaller pieces.
- Continue stir frying while making sure that nothing sticks into the wok, add another tablespoon of oil when necessary.
- Stir fry less frequently before transferring it back to the plate.
- Place the cooking back on the plate, and beef pad see ew is now ready to be served! It is best eaten with homemade chilli oil!