Gulkand is a sweet preserve made out of rose petals, and is used as a flavouring common to South Asia, just like how strawberry jam is used as a preserve in Western countries! Literally, gulkand is derived from Persian words “gul”, meaning rose, and “khand” or sugar.
And in fact, rose petals and sugar comprises of the main ingredients of gulkand too! This time, let’s talk about gulkand health benefits during pregnancy, which is almost similar to benefits of banana flower during pregnancy.
What are its Health Benefits?
- Gulkand Has Cooling Properties
Cooling is the main health benefit of gulkand, and therefore it is very ideal for alleviating heat related issues like heat stroke, burns, exhaustion, itches, rashes, up to aches and pains.
- Gulkand is Both an Antioxidant and a Powerful Rejuvenator
Next, gulkand is also an antioxidant and a powerful rejuvenator like health benefits of coconut water during pregnancy and vitamin C benefits. Antioxidants are substances that inhibit oxidation or counterreacting the stored food products. And then, gulkands are also rejuvenating perhaps due to its cooling properties.
- Gulkand for Acidity Treatment
Here is also another main health benefits of gulkand. Consuming gulkand moderately everyday may reduce stomach acidity, stomach heat, stomach ulcers and swollen intestines altogether.
- Gulkand for Menstrual Pain and Constipation
And finally, this is the main theme of this article! Gulkand is beneficial for menstrual pain and also constipation, which are both related to pregnancy in one way or another. In fact, in Ayurvedic medicinal culture gulkands are well recommended to be used for pregnancy. Constipation during pregnancies happen due to hormone changes.
- Gulkand is a Wonderful Digestive Tonic
Gulkands are also natural digestive tonics, which on its own right also provides further health benefits, such as appetite improvement, digestive improvement, and also reparation of the digestive system.
- Gulkand is a Natural Purifier
By the term “natural purifier” here, it exactly refers to gulkand’s potentials in toxin removal from the body and also blood purification. And not only that, because gulkand is also able to do purification externally, such as improving complexions, how to get rid of acne, and whiteheads.
- Gulkand Helps Perspiration Management
It is also a possibility for perspiration to be better managed when exposed to coolness, because perspiration itself is triggered to heat. That is why we sweat much more often on sunny days or on daytime. Gulkand’s cooling potentials make it excellent for excessive perspiration and foul odor, because both of them are disturbing not only for others, but also for one’s self.
- Gulkand Protects Us from Intense Heat
Gulkand is able to protect us from intense heat none other than being a natural cooling food item.
- Gulkand for Water Retention Problems
Water retention is the buildup of fluids inside the body. Gulkand is able to solve this problem, one of them through triggering health benefits human urine.
- Gulkand Eliminates Stress
And finally, gulkand eliminates stress by providing a calming effect on the nervous system.
How to Make Homemade Gulkand
- Damascus Rose petals
- Prepare fresh Damascus rose petals, and also some sugar.
- Weigh them on a scale, make sure that they are of equal weight.
- Wash the rose petals in clear running water.
- Prepare a clean glass bottle with lid, and pour the petals and sugar inside in layers.
- Seal it tight, and place it on direct sunlight.
- Gulkand jam is now ready to be served after 10 days of storage, while it could last up to 6 months inside a freezer!