5 Amazing Health Benefits of Smyrnium Olusatrum
Smyrnium Olusatrum, is an edible plant that belongs to Apiaceae family and widely grown by Romans to UK. This herbal plant known as Alexanders and Horse Parsley, which is has similarity to celery by the way it looks, but with a flavor between celery and parsley. The taste of this plant but slightly more bitter than celery or you can read health benefits of celery.
However, it used in herbal medicine because of the Health Benefits of Smyrnium Olusatrum. Fortunately, it is rarely forgotten by the nineteenth century and eventually replaced by the milder-tasting celery. To be known, here are the details of the benefits:
1. Diuretic Effect
This plant Smyrnium Olastrum has been used for centuries as a diuretic that will help control various diseases such as kidney, stones, urinary tract infections and gallbladder stones. The part of this plant which is a diuretic is the roots.
The reason is, because it contains vitamin B12, Zinc, Thiamine, Sucrose, Riboflavin, Potassium, Magnesium Iron, Fructose, Glucose and many other trace minerals. Or you can read health benefits of watermelon.
2. Promote Menstruation
The seeds can create a tonic for scurvy by soaking often in wine, when other of vitamin C were not available so that it would promote menstruation or to cure menstrual problem and wound.
It would be suitable to be consumed by female which has a menstrual problem instead of consuming some of medicine. Or you can read health benefits of papaya leaves.
3. Boost Immunity
We almost find vitamin C in every herbal plant including Smyrnium Olastrum. The plant contains of vitamin C and that makes the benefit to boost the immune system of the body. When our immune system is strong, it can avoid us from several diseases.
Because of those much amount of vitamin C, it also be used as the source of vitamin C. Or you can read crocodile meat health benefits.
4. The Treatment of Asthma
One of chronic disease is asthma. The seeds produce a high aromatic scent which is similar to the strong myrrh-like scent that used to the treatment of asthma. Asthma, as we known, is a disease that affects the lung.
Caution is, for the best result, don’t forget to consult a specialist you trust for treatment that can be done to cure the disease. Or you can read symptoms of asthma.
5. Cures Stomach Problems
One of the Health Benefits of Smyrnium Olusatrum is for the health of digestion. The fiber contained in this plant helps to cure some diseases that may affect your stomach such as reflux, peptic ulcers and constipation. The powdered of it seeds also has been known to warm the cold stomach.
How to use Alexanders
- You can consume it as a substitute of delicious celery by fried it in butter, the blanched young leaf stalks and shoots.
- Peeled the thicker stems (before they turn woody) and make a delicious cooked vegetable. They can also can be eaten raw, thinly sliced and dipped in salt that will be served as a fantastic pre-dinner snack.
- To peeled the roots are the best then you can boil and add them to stews and casseroles.
- The black dried seeds of this plant are often used as a substitute of pepper. They will give the spicy sensation without pepper itself.
For the best Health Benefits of Smyrnium Olusatrum you can get, here are the recipe you can take to make Cream of Alexander Soup with amount of serving for 4 persons:
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 450g Alexanders stems and leaves
- 1L vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh chervil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 150ml single cream
How to make:
- Heat the saucepan in a medium heat and melt the butter in it.
- Cook and stir until soft the onion and garlic.
- Cook in 2 minutes the Alexanders stems and leaves and toss to coat in the butter.
- Pour or add the fresh herbs and stir in the saucepan.
- Seasoning it well. You can for 1 hours to cover and simmer it gently over a low heat.
- Before it served, stir the cream and blend the soup with a smooth consistency by a hand held liquidiser or food processor.
- Then you can serve immediately in warm bowls.
All parts of this plant are edible but the leaves and the stems are often used and cooked. The leaves and young shoots of this plant can be used in salads or in a cooked soup.