78 Benefits of Turmeric For Health #1 Powerful Herbal Remedy
We are already familiar with turmeric; it usually relates with saffron and can be found in the kitchen. Turmeric is known as a spice and commonly used as a seasoning mix for cooking in Asian countries, Indonesia is no exception (Read: Indonesian herbs and the health benefits). Mothers must be very familiar with this plant because turmeric is often used as a spice in cooking kind of goulash, as coloring food and preservative. Besides that, turmeric is also one of the plants which is used for traditional medicine by our ancestors in long time ago.
The results of in vitro studies prove that the active compound in turmeric can inhibit the growth of fungi, viruses, and bacteria both gram positive and gram negative (e. coli and staphylococcus aureus). It is because turmeric contains various compounds such as curcumin and essential oil.
Turmeric in Latin is Curcuma longa Linn. Syn. Curcuma is one of the native spices and medicinal plants of the Southeast Asia region. This plant then is distributed to the Indonesia, Malaysia, Australia and even Africa.
Most of Indonesian and Indian people generally consume this spice plant, whether it is used as a culinary herbal medicine, or as a spice supplement to maintain health and beauty. Not only that, turmeric is also a spice which is commonly used in cooking in Asian countries.
The Characteristics of Turmeric Plant are:
- Its leaves resemble to banana’s leaves but smaller than banana’s . It is the kind of rich banana plant species.
- The leaves are green.
- Stem and leaf’s blade are oval.
- It has outer brown curcuma. (read: Health benefits of curcuma)
- And turmeric is usually colored yellow, red, orange.
Turmeric is grown and cultivated in South Asia, South China, Taiwan, Indonesia, and Philippines. Turmeric grows well on a good ground irrigation system where the rainfall is quite a lot but in a slightly. But, in order to produce the larger rhizomes of turmeric, then it will work in the tropics and sub-tropics.
- Yellow Turmeric is often used and easily found. It is commonly used as an ingredient in cooking, to add a distinctive flavor to the dish such as yellow rice. People usually use the yellow turmeric to make a distinctive flavor and delicious taste of yellow rice.
- White Turmeric generally has the white meat. White turmeric is not included as the descent of curcuma because its characteristic is white and transparent. The other name of white turmeric is intersection or daughter.
- Red Turmeric is almost the same as the red saffron, but its color is reddish-pink. Red turmeric is also commonly used as a spice in the kitchen and can be used to treat a variety of diseases, either mild or severe.
- Black Turmeric is one of the rare plants that is very difficult to find in nowadays. This turmeric is quite demanded because it is able to cure cysts and also able to make us ageless or stay young. Although, black turmeric is frequently crocheted – linked with mysticism. Basically, black turmeric has the same shape as general turmeric but its meat is colored as blue-black or purple-black.
Some chemical constituents of turmeric are known, namely:
- Essential oils as much as 6%, consisting of the compound monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes (including zingiberene, alpha, and beta-turmerone),
- Yellow pigment which is known as curcuminoids as much as 5% (50-60% includes curcumin, monodesmetoksikurkumin, and bidesmetoksikurkumin), potassium, phosphorus, protein, iron and vitamin C.
Among the three compounds of curcuminoids, curcumin is the largest component. Chemical compounds which are contained in turmeric are the volatile oil and kurkumi-noid. (read : Benefits of Curcumin)
Essential oils contain sesquiterpene, alcohol, tour-meron and zingiberene, while curcuminoid contains curcumin compounds and its derivatives that include desmetoksi-curcumin and bidesmetoksikurku-min. Furthermore, turmeric consists of rhizome, calcium, fat, protein, gum compound, phosphorus, and iron.
Benefits of Turmeric for Health
Turmeric has several benefits for our health, they are:
1. Lose Weight Treatments
Benefits of turmeric for lose weight is already proven by many researches. Nowadays, the excess fat of body or obesity is an epidemic emerging around the world, including the developing countries. The excess and imbalance of nutrient intake are related to the lifestyle now and it needs to be concerned due to the increasing numbers of people who suffer from overweight and obesity. (read: The health risks of obesity)
Obesity is a condition of abnormal or excess accumulation of fat in the fat tissue. Based on Body Mass Index (BMI), obesity is divided into three categories, they are:
- Obesity I,
- Obesity II and
- Obesity III.
Then, based on the international classification, someone is said as pre- obese or overweight if his/her BMI (Body Max Index) is about 25 to 29.99 kg / m2, and obese when his/her BMI is about ≥30 kg / m2.
According to fat distribution, obesity is classified into two categories; central obesity and obesity peripheral.
Central obesity is a condition which is indicated by the excess of abdominal fat (abdominal) or central fat. Abdominal fat consists of abdominal subcutaneous fat and intra-abdominal fat, which are clearly visible through MRI. Central obesity is rather associated with health risks than peripheral obesity.
The excess of abdominal adipose tissue is able to increase the metabolic risk factors of coronary heart diseases, including insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, type 2 diabetes mellitus, cerebrovascular diseases, dyslipidemia, and increased cardiovascular. The pro-inflammatory characteristics of visceral are greater than subcutaneous fat.
How to Take the Advantages of Turmeric to Lose Weight
To lose weight, you may buy the herbal turmeric which is mixed with acid (Turmeric Acid). But, for those of you who want to make it by your own, the ways are very easy.
To make the turmeric acid herbal, here are the steps you need to do:
- Prepare 1 piece of turmeric sufficiently,
- then mashed it,
- Boil 2 cups of water,
- Wait until it gets boil, and
- Add the juice of tamarind and brown sugar to create a better taste.
- Then, cook this mixture into half or one glass and drink it either in warm or cold. The taste of this herbal is very delicious and fresh so it will be very much preferred.
Consuming the herbal of turmeric regularly can shrink the acid in your stomach and decrease the weight. As for the benefits of the turmeric acid herbal are given as follows:
- Detoxification or the expenditure toxins from the body is a major benefit of drinking turmeric acid. So, it not only will make our body fresh but it also will make our body stronger.
- Body weight is maintained. This herbal is really good, especially for people who want to suppress the appetite for weight control. So, if you want to have a good diet without facing difficulty and taking expensive medication, just consume the turmeric acid herbal.
- Relieving throat infections. Turmeric has anti-bacterial benefits that will keep you from a wide range of infections, including infections of the throat caused by bacteria.
- Anti-inflammatory. One of the nature properties of turmeric acid is an anti-inflammatory or anti-inflammatory. So, when your muscle or joint feels pain or too stiff, you may consume this herbal.
- Skin whitening. The color of your skin will be brighter if you regularly drink this herbal. The good effect of your skin will be obtained after the detoxification process is running smoothly. Similarly, if you have a burn scar onto your skin’s surface which will be erased slowly.
2. Obesity Treatments
There are some treatments of obesity, including the changes of lifestyle, physical exercise, dietary changes and pharmacological therapy with drugs or herbs that have been proven scientifically in decreasing weight. Some drugs are often used for the treatment of obesity such as the noradrenergic group (phentermine), serotonergic group (fenfluramine), noradrenergic and serotonergic group (sibutramine), and a lipase inhibitor such as orlistat. While the herbs which are often used to prevent or decrease weight including green tea, cinnamon, curcumin, ginseng, and black pepper.
Why Turmeric is Powerful?
Weight gain (Read: List of weight gain foods), obesity, abdominal fat can be reduced in various ways, ones of them are anti-inflammatory and antioxidant intake of supplements that can be obtained from various sources such as curcumin.
The ethanol extract of turmeric contains curcuminoid which consists of curcumin I, curcumin II and curcumin III. Then, essential oils also play an important role in weight loss and there are approximately 25 compounds essential oil which can be found in turmeric extract.
Curcumin is a component of phytochemicals found in turmeric. Because of its color, curcumin has been used in the apparel industry and the food. Not only that, curcumin also has been used as a preservative, additional foodstuffs, and traditional medicine in several countries.
The substance of turmeric is not only curcumin, but it also contains curcumin analog as below:
- Bisdemethoxycurcumin, and
- As well as many other active substances.
The ratio of curcuminoid which is contained in turmeric is described as follows; curcumin I 75%, curcumin II (desmethoxycurcumin) 16%, and Curcumin III (bisdemethoxycurcumin) 8%.
It has been proven by in vitro, curcumin may affect angiogenesis, differentiation, adipogenesis, apoptosis, gene expression of lipid and energy metabolism in cells. As for the roles of curcumin are:
- To suppress differentiation of 3T3-L1 adipose cells,
- Cause the apoptosis, and
- Inhibit angiogenesis endothelial cells in the human’s umbilical vein.
Oral curcumin in mice can prevent the weight gain. The weight gain is prevented by pressing the growth of adipose tissue via antiangiogenic activity and modulation of metabolism adipocytes.
Furthermore, doing a high-fat diet along with curcumin is able to reduce weight gain, adiposity, and microvascular density in adipose tissue. It can be seen from the decline in the expression of endothelial growth factor and receptors. In addition, curcumin also increases the oxidation and esterification of fatty acids which can be lowered by increasing phosphorylation AMP-activated protein kinase, reducing glycerol-three-phosphate acyl transferase-one, and increasing expression of carnitine palmitoyltransferase-1.
According to Bradford, curcumin can suppress the differentiation of preadipocyte in order to reduce the number of adipocytes and fat in adipose tissue. By administering curcumin, the adipocytes differentiation is inhibited. It is proven by the decrease of adipocyte-specific gene expression.
Moreover, curcumin also inhibits adipocyte differentiation by obstructing the pathway of the Wnt signaling. The presence or the absence of Wnt signaling determines the work of mesenchymal stem cells in inhibiting preadipocyte and it will slow down the stage of diferrentiation into the mature adipocytes. Hence, if the Wnt signal is inactive, then preadipocyte and onversi adipocyte differentiation will be ensued.
Obesity is strongly influenced by epigenetic. The influence of epigenetic is a constant effect of environmental exposure on the genome, and the result of the increase in individual susceptibility to obesity and the related diseases such as diabetes type 2 and cardiovascular disease. Curcumin may influence epigenetic modulation and this effect is particularly noticeable in the genes that regulate the fat metabolism.
In addition to curcumin, the substance of essential oil also can reduce abdominal fat through the regulated expression of peroxisomes beta oxidation in the liver. Curcumin and essential oils act synergistically in the regulation of genes that regulate fat metabolism.
Curcumin and essential oils which are contained in the extract of turmeric is able to prevent the weight gain and the production of body fat by pressing the differentiation of adipose cells that causes the apoptosis and inhibits angiogenesis due to adipokines endothelial cells in human umbilical vein. The suppression of angiogenesis in adipose tissue and the effect of curcumin on the fat metabolism in adipocytes are able to lessen the body fat, including abdominal subcutaneous fat and visceral and also prevent weight gain.
3. Turmeric For Dysmenorrhea
Benefits of turmeric for dysmenorrhea also have been proven by many researches and medical experiments. Generally, dysmenorrhea is the term for a painful menstruation which is not related with pathological abnormalities. It is divided into two broad categories; primary dysmenorrhea which is occurred in the absence of pathology and second dysmenorrhea which is resulted from identifiable organic disease. But mostly, young women or teenagers girl will feel more pain in primary dysmenorrhea because the hormonal cycle is very not stable. As a result, primary dysmenorrhea will greatly disturb the concentration and activity of its sufferers.
There are several things that you can do when you experience the complaints of primary dysmenorrhea such as compress your stomach with warm water, consume analgesic, take physical exercise regularly, acupuncture, and consume the trusted herbal products / herbal medicines like turmeric acid.
Turmeric acid is a herbal medicine which is already familiar for Indonesian people, especially in Java and Madura. It can be categorized as a traditional liquid medicine because it uses natural ingredients such as herbs nutritious that are commonly used by the people from generation to generation.
Currently, fitofarmaka is known as a place which provides the variety of herbal products, including turmeric acid. It is the main alternative way for young women who want to reduce the pain of dysmenorrhea without need to worry about the side effects.
Turmeric is one of the herbs which is commonly consumed by people to reduce the pain during menstruation. Even there is no widely discussion in the researches that can show about the content of turmeric acid in reducing the pain of dysmenorrhea.
Turmeric acid is a liquid made from the main ingredients such as turmeric and tamarind. it is believed that turmeric naturally contains an active ingredient which can be served as analgesics, antipyretic, and anti-inflammatory, as well as tamarind that also has the active ingredients which can be served as anti-inflammatory, antipyretic and tranquilizers.
Curcumin and anthocyanins contained in turmeric will work to inhibit the reaction of cyclooxygenase (COX). Thereby, it is able to prevent the inflammation which automatically will inhibit or reduce the uterine contractions. The mechanism of inhibition of uterine contractions through curcumin is to reduce the influx of calcium ions (Ca2 +) into the calcium channels in the epithelial cells of the uterus.
Turmeric also contains the substances such as tannins, saponins, sesquiterpenes, alkaloids and phlebotomine that will affect the autonomic nervous system in the brain in order to reduce uterine contractions. Curcumenol as an analgesic agent would inhibit the release of PG excessively.
The consumption of turmeric acid regularly can resolve the complaints of primary dysmenorrhea in young women or teenager girls.
4. Prevent Cancer and Tumor
Cancer is occurred due to the presence of the mutated cells which is caused by free radicals and toxins that enter into the body and hard to be neutralized. Fortunately, turmeric brings an advantage which can help our body to neutralize free radicals and toxins because it is rich in curcumin as an antioxidant. As known, antioxidants can prevent and inhibit the growth of cancer cells in the body.
Anticancer activity of curcumin has been studied using a variety of approaches in various types of cancer both in vitro and in vivo. Curcumin can be developed as an effective anticancer medicine.
Curcumin anticancer activity associated with ability as well as COX inhibitors in cell signaling pathway, either through apoptosis or cell cycle arrest by affecting the tumor suppressor gene product or oncogenes. In addition, Curcumin also related to its ability as an antioxidant, inhibition of cell proliferation, anti-angiogenesis, inhibition of carcinogenics, and anti-estrogen.
Other Proven Medical Uses of Turmeric
Empirically, rhizomes (Curcuma domestica) is a medicine for fever, diarrhea, agonal breathing, and nasal inflammation. Turmeric is also effective for somatic, antispasmodics (preventing or relieving), anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and choleretic.
Turmeric contains curcumin which is precisely used as a refreshing tonic and to improve stamina, so the body will not get tired easily. The research in Singapore shows that the curcumin in turmeric besides it functions as anti-Alzheimer, it also works in treating various kinds of diseases. It is because curcumin has several compounds such as anti-tumor promoter, anti-oxidant, anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-virus. In additon, curcumin in turmeric also plays a role in enhancing the immune system.
The part of turmeric plant that can be used as medicine is a rhizome, but remember, it should be older than one year. The efficacy of consuming turmeric is release the excess of gas in the intestine, stop the bleeding and prevent the formation of blood clots.
Various medications to relieve itchy on the skin, kill the virus and prevent depression also can be formulated from the turmeric and other natural ingredients.
Antioxidants and phytonutrients in turmeric can improve overall health. It helps in strengthening the immune system which will make you stay healthy. Curcumin contained in turmeric also consists of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and anti-glycemic properties. All of the substance in turmeric can be able to strengthen the immune system, preventing several diseases, such as diabetes, cancer, and etc.
Here are some diseases that can be cured or prevented with turmeric:
1. Reducing the Risk of Diabetes
Curcumin contained in turmeric has a very important benefit to overcome the insulin resistance in the body because the insulin resistance glucose in the blood is able to be controlled. So that, the risk of type 2 diabetes can be avoided. As for the ways of using turmeric as diabetes treatment are; Prepare 3 turmerics and 1/2 teaspoon salt, boil the ingredients in one liter of water, strain it first and drink 2 times a week, minimum 1/2 cup.
(Read: Diabetes treatment)
2. Reducing the Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease
Alzheimer is a disease caused by inflammation of the brain. According to the research, people who consume turmeric regularly have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease. It is because turmeric is able to protect our brain from the inflammation . (Read: How to prevent Alzheimer and Dementia)
3. Treating Typhoid and Heartburn
Turmeric is rich in beneficial substances, including heals the wounds in the stomach and treats typhoid. The steps are; prepare two turmerics, one hump sere, and one sheet of the bitter leaf. Then, puree all ingredients, boil in 1 cup of water and drink every day for a week.
4. Overcoming Joints Inflammation
Apparently the substance of curcumin in turmeric is also useful for an anti-inflammatory or anti-inflammation. So, it will be very useful as a medicine for those people who suffer from arthritis. You may consume turmeric in form of traditional herbal medicine or in form of modern capsule medicine.
5. Eliminating Bad Cholesterol (LDL) in the Body
Bad cholesterol or LDL is dangerous for our body. This cholesterol can cause various diseases such as inflammation of the blood vessels, narrowing of the arteries, heart disease, and other cholesterol. The nutrition of turmeric is believed to overcome the bad cholesterol that enters into the body. Thereby, it will reduce the risk of diseases due to cholesterol.
6. Treating and Preventing Wound Infection
Turmeric is also rich in anti-septic substances that are beneficial for treating wounds and prevent wound infection. So, it is able to kill bacteria in the wound and make the wound dry as soon as possible.
7. Set the Insulin
It is one of the roles of turmeric to against diabetes. The pancreas produces insulin in the human body, balance insulin levels and prevent insulin resistance by lowering triglyceride blood sugar in the body.
8. Preventing Infection of Diabetes
Pathogens such as Coxsackie B4 virus is said as the cause of increasing diabetes type 1 risk. Diabetes is prevent by anti-bacterial, Antiviral, and antibiotics of turmeric.
9. Reducing Fat
Diabetes is often accompanied by weight gain. But the substance of curcumin can prevent the accumulation of harmful fat in the body. So, turmeric automatically prevents diabetes by controlling weight through the substance of curcumin.
More Turmeric Uses for Health
There are more benefits of turmeric you need to know:
- Turmeric contributes to the growth of cells and rejuvenates cells.
- Detoxify harmful toxins.
- Arthritis can be cured by turmeric because it contains anti-inflammatory properties.
- Turmeric can prevent leukemia.
- Using turmeric in your daily diet can help you boost your immunity level. It also keeps you safe from various diseases.
- Turmeric is a worth spice to decrease the weight, because it can increase the body’s metabolism and help you to manage your weight effectively.
- Turmeric can cure pigmentation caused by the sun exposure.
- Clean the skin, make it glows and brighter.
- Preventing the aging process.
- The components of turmeric can moisturize the skin and overcome the dryness.
- Heal the bruises and disguise burn scars.
- Help to fight skin disorders, such as eczema, psoriasis, and a red rash. It also helps to erase scratch marks or cellulite.
How to Make Turmeric Herbal for Health
The health treatment which uses turmeric can be done in two ways; Internal and external treatment. Internal treatment of turmeric is typically used as a potion or as an herbal medicine. As for the external treatment, turmeric can be grated and used as a mask. It also can be made as ointment which is placed on the injured part.
In addition, for the treatment of internal use, you can consume a teaspoon of turmeric powder. To make it better, you may add milk or sugar. Then, dissolve with warm water, stir and drink regularly. If you consume it every day, you will see the benefits in your skin.
In medical affairs, for the external use of turmeric, you can mix turmeric with chickpea flour and a little water. Apply this paste as a mask onto your face and leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse off. See the difference in your face skin.
Here are the lists of turmeric benefits for health and diseases:
1. Lowering Blood Pressure
Turmeric can be used to reduce blood pressure, the things you need to prepare are;
- 50 grams of Gotu kola’s leaves,
- 300 cc honey,
- Three rhizomes of fresh turmeric,
- 500 cc of water,
- Chopped Gotu kola’s leaves and turmeric into the small pieces,
- Mix and boiled in 500 cc of water until it is 150 cc left,
- Wait until it gets cold before drink.
- Drink one tablespoon three times a day.
2. Stamina Booster
The next benefit of turmeric is to increase the stamina, here are the ways;
- Squeeze the turmeric until the water fills one tablespoon,
- Then, prepare a chicken egg, one tablespoon honey, pepper powder, and one tablespoon lemon juice,
- Put all the ingredients in a glass and stir until it is mixed well, wait for a minute, then
- Consume this herbal three times a day to increase the vitality.
3. Reduce Heat Fever
Turmeric is useful when you get fever, just prepare the things below:
- 20 grams of grated fresh turmeric that have been cleaned,
- Put it in 100 ml of hot boiled water and stirring gently until it is dissolved,
- Strain the turmeric liquid on a clean cloth,
- Squeeze it and get the water out, but do not forget to dispose the cup or small container first,
- Drink the juice of turmeric in the warm temperatures.
4. Malaria Treatments
Turmeric for malaria disease, the ingredients are:
- 3 grams turmeric,
- 6 grams of Jering antan’s leaves,
- 15 grams of skin pule,
- 5 grams of sandalwood,
- 20 grams of ginger,
- 5 grams of bark keningar,
- 6 drops eucalyptus oil and 500 cc of boiled water,
- Blend all the ingredients except eucalyptus oil,
- Boiled in 500 cc of water.
- Drink the herbal when it gets cold for 3 times a day.
5. Eliminate Body Odor from the Inside
Body odor can be eliminated by using turmeric, here are the ways:
- Prepare two segments of fresh turmeric, grate them until it is finely granulated,
- Dissolve in 2/3 cup of warm boiled water and mixed it with palm sugar.
- Stir in a few minutes, strain, then drink it before you go to bed.
- Dosage: Once a day
6. Diarrhea Treatment
(Read: How to prevent diarrhea)
- Three coriander seeds,
- One piece of ules of wood,
- Alum leaves,
- 1/2 finger turmeric, and
- 1/2 penetrance angina.
- Mix all ingredients,
- Then boiled it in 150 ml water,
- Strain the boiling water, then drink the herb when it is ready. Consume it 2 time daily (morning and evening) each 75 ml.
- Grate 1 rhizome of turmeric, pour 1 teaspoon of whiting and juice of 1 orange juice.
- Stir until all ingredients are evenly mixed.
- Create a herb and apply to the skin which has ulcers.
- 15 grams of the old turmeric root,
- Peel and clean the turmeric,
- Grate until smooth, and then add 1 cup water and sugar acids.
- Stir constantly until smooth, pour into the equipment filters (cloth),
- Take medications for this whitish 2 times a day.
- Gambier’s plant 3 1/2 thumb cut and turmeric.
- Cut the ingredients and mash until smooth.
- Boil 2 cups of water into the pan until 1 cup remaining.
- Wait till it gets a bit cold, then have a drink regularly 3-4 times a day.
10. Late Periods
The ingredients are:
- 15 grams of Sigading’s leaves and turmeric,
- 5 grams of black cumin, coriander, and cloves,
- 10 grams of cardamom and nutmeg,
- Boil all ingredients in 3 cups of water, wait for water to boil till 1 cup remaining,
- Strain the water and take medication three times a day each 1/3 cup.
11. Stimulated the Discharge of Breast Milk
Special for women, to stimulate the discharge of breast milk during nursing, you can use turmeric fertilizers which are spread onto the breasts. Here are the steps how to do it:
- Turmeric is crushed into powder and smeared around the breast once in every 2 days, especially at the first time of nursing.
12. Menstruation is not Smooth
(Read also: Health benefits of bitter kola for female fertility)
- Coriander 1/2 tea spoon,
- Nutmeg 1/2 tea spoon,
- 1/2 handful of leaves spreading.
- All ingredients are finely mixed and boiled with 1 liter of water,
- Strain and drink one cup a day.
13. Diabetes Mellitus Treatment
- 3 Turmerics,
- 1/2 teaspoon salt,
- Boiled with 1 liter of water and then strain.
- Drink this medicine 1/2 cup in 2 times a week.
- 2 rhizome of turmeric,
- 1 sheet of bitter leaf finely ground,
- 1 cup of warm water, stir well and then filtered.
- Drink it once a day for 1 week.
- 1 turmeric, 1 whole lemon, 1 slice of coconut sugar/palm and add salt as a taste.
- Grated turmeric and squeezed lime juice,
- Mixed with other ingredients and brewed with 1 cup of hot water, then filtered.
- Drink every morning after having breakfast.
Ingredients: 1 rhizome turmeric, 1 whole lemon, 2 tablespoons of honey.
- Grated turmeric, squeezed oranges to take the juice,
- Mixed with honey and 1/2 cup of warm water, stirred until evenly then filtered.
- Drink it regularly for 2 days.
17. Turmeric Can Prevent Heartburn
- Take 1 seed of turmeric in medium size, then cleaned the turmeric.
- Peeled and grated turmeric into small portions. Set aside.
- Add brown sugar as the flavor, mix them together in the hot water.
- Stir until it looks thickened,
- Strain it and drink while it is warm.
18. Relieve Itching and Prevent Skin Diseases
- Take 1 rhizome of turmeric, clean it.
- Take and mashed the clove seeds,
- Grated turmeric before you mix with clove seeds powder and jasmine.
- Knead, then smeared onto the itchy body.
- To prevent injury, just mix the grated turmeric and tamarind, and apply to the wound till it gets dry and doesn’t feel pain anymore.
19. Prevent Mouth Disease (Mouth Sores, Swollen Mouth and Sore throat)
- Clean the turmeric first,
- Then grated turmeric and mix the juice with a little salt water.
- Keep going until the pain goes away.
Turmeric for Beauty Purpose
Benefits of turmeric for beauty , turmeric contains a quite high of vitamin C. That’s why this plant is frequently used to treat the variety of diseases in traditional ways, such as treatment for measles, allergies, ulcers, cancer, and vomiting.
Additionally, turmeric also contains an antiseptic ingredient which is suitable for preventing inflammation of acne and wounds as well as the treatment for rashes and itching, recovering the damage of burned skin due to exposure of sunlight, and brightening the skin tone.
1. Turmeric for Treating Acne
You can create a face mask from turmeric to get rid of acne. It has the quite simple ways as follows;
- First, mix one tablespoon of turmeric powder with 3 tablespoons juice of fresh turmeric.
- The second, add the little yogurt and honey then stir till the mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Next, you only need to apply a mask for 15 minutes onto your face. But, do not be too long! Because turmeric contains sharp color which is hard to wipe off.
- After that, wash your face with clean water.
2. Overcoming Oily Skin
Turmeric is able to control the production of excess oil and sebum in your pores. You can make a mask for oily skin by:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder with 3 tablespoons lemon or lime ripe.
- Apply the mask onto your face, wait for 15 minutes.
- After that, rinse your face with warm water until clean.
3. Disguise Wrinkles and Prevent Premature Aging
The content of nutrients in turmeric is also beneficial to overcome wrinkles and inhibit the aging process. To get the anti-aging effects of turmeric, follow the steps as below:
- Create masks of 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon of rice flour, 1 tablespoon milk, and 1 tablespoon of tomato juice.
- Then, apply a mask onto your face and neck and wait for 20 minutes.
- After that, wash your face with cold water.
4. Overcoming Pigmentation
The effect of anti-inflammatory and antiseptic in turmeric can be used for the pigmentation of the skin, to fresh the burned skin due to sun exposure. If you experience this skin problem, apply sufficiently a mixture of turmeric powder and fresh cucumber juice for 20 to 30 minutes. Do it routinely till the original color of your skin is back.
5. Reducing the Growth of Body Hair
Who knows that turmeric can also be used to slow down the hair growth on the body? To prevent the hair of your body growing too fast, you must routine to use scrubs which is made from turmeric powder and flour chickpeas (garbanzo beans/nuts/gram). Use this scrubs at least twice a week for a month to get the results.
6. Overcoming Dandruff and Hair-fall
Itchy scalp because of dandruff? or are you having the hair-fall? The solution is the treatment with turmeric. You just need to do this by applying grated turmeric onto your scalp. The substance of nutrients in turmeric will nourish your scalp, prevent the hair-fall and flaking of the scalp.
7. Smoothing the Leather of Heels and Elbows
If the skin in the heels and elbows area is crusty, you can smooth it with turmeric. The steps are;
- First, mix the turmeric powder with coconut oil.
- Then, rub your rough heels and elbows and,
- create a light massage by applying a mixture liquid of turmeric and coconut oil.
- Wait for 10 minutes, and then rinse with clean water.
8. Removing Dead Skin Cells
Turmeric can be used for exfoliation because the essence and texture of turmeric can exfoliate dead skin cells gently, without making the skin irritated. Make a body scrub of turmeric powder and flour chickpeas (garbanzo beans/Arab nuts/gram). This kind of scrubs will make your skin looks radiant and brighter.
9. Natural Hair Dye
To get dark blonde color, you can dye your hair with saffron. The sharp yellow color will coat your hair and produce natural dark blonde color. You just need to prepare
- A quarter cup of grated turmeric and saffron
- Then, pour the warm water into the cup and squeeze until you get a cup of turmeric concentrated liquid.
- Next, pour turmeric liquid into a spray bottle, and then spray evenly onto your hair strand
- When your hair is dry, rinse it off with clean water. Do this process repeatedly in two days.
The Side Effects of of Turmeric Uses
Although it has many benefits, the excessive use of turmeric also has the side effects. Here are some of the negative side effects of turmeric:
- Causing digestive system disorders, the symptoms will arise if you consume turmeric in a long time with excessive dosage. In order to prevent the indigestion, avoid the consuming of turmeric in excessive dosage.
- Allergies for those who have allergies when consuming turmeric. The symptom is you will feel itchy on your skin and it is initially marked by the appearance of red spots. Well, if you have this kind of problems, you should stop consuming turmeric and go to consult a doctor immediately.
- The effect is not good for pregnant women. All of mothers who are pregnant and nursing should avoid using or consuming turmeric excessively. And for your goodness, you better consult a doctor first and ask a proper use manner.
- Avoid using turmeric during chemotherapy. A study showed that turmeric has the ability to reduce the effects of chemotherapy. So, for all of you who are undergoing chemotherapy should avoid foods and beverages that contain turmeric. Then, the effects of your chemotherapy won’t be reduced.
- Able to increase the number of gastric acid production. So, it is not recommended for people with ulcers and gastric disorders due to the excess consumption of turmeric enable to increase production of stomach acid. Then, you should ask your doctor how to consume turmeric properly.
One of the best ways to avoid the side effects and to get the health benefits of turmeric is to know the side effects of turmeric. So, we can minimize the things that are not expected. Now, we know all about turmeric plants and I hope you get important information. Let’s stay healthy guys!