Healthy living is not always about how much time and energy you have spent in the gym but it is started with as simple as what you eat in daily basis. The term that says ‘what you eat is what you are’ is very true in some points. The healthier the foods you eat, the healthier you will be. Speaking of healthy food, beets are among the most recommended vegetables should be consumed in daily basis. However, do you know about the health benefits of eating golden beets when what you know all this time is the health benefits of beets with red or purple color?
What Is Golden Beets?
Well before you learn more about the health benefits of golden beets is better for you to learn about what golden beets are. Golden beets is also well known as orange beets because of the taste and color is similar to carrot but not as orange as carrot, that’s why instead of orange beets, the term golden beets is commonly and widely used. Both red and golden beets were used in foods to make soup and juice. In some countries, beets are also used to make wine. Compared to red beets, golden beets are not widely and commercially cultivated, that is why finding golden beets in the market is not as easy finding red beets.
Nutritional Value of Golden Beets
When it comes to the nutritional value of golden beets, the color is the indication that unlike the red beets, golden beets are a bit richer in the term of vitamin C benefits, vitamin A, potassium, flavonoids and lycopene. The texture and the taste are similar to carrot which makes golden beets are also excellent source of beta-carotene. It means, the taste is slightly different with the red beets, golden beets are not as sweet as the red beets as well as the ‘earthy’ flavor that the red beets have. Well, to learn more about the health benefits of eating golden beets, the list below may tell you more.
- Low in Calories
Per one hundred gram the calories amount is only 43 with fat only around 0.2 gram. It means, beets are super low in calories and safe to be consumed by those who are currently in diet program.
- Excellent Source of Fiber
Just a serving size of golden beets you could enjoy all the health benefits of fiber such as great for digestion system and maintain the cholesterol level.
- Great for Weight Loss
The combination of low in calories and rich of fiber are the reasons why golden beets are great for weight loss.
- Good for Digestion System
It is a common knowledge that whatever foods that rich of fiber are good for digestion. Golden beets could improve the bowel movement, prevent constipation and treat diarrhea.
- Excellent Source of Vitamin C
The golden-ish color of the beets is the strong indication that this vegetable is packed with vitamin C benefits. Vitamin C has prominent role in maintaining the healthy cells as well as immunity system.
- Packed with Minerals
Minerals like copper, iron and manganese are just the three examples of nutrients you could get from the golden beets.
- Source of Vitamin B6
The amount of vitamin B6 found in golden beets is quite significant. This type of vitamin has essential role in maintaining the healthy metabolism as well as controlling the hormone level.
- Good for Heart Health
The reason why golden beets are great for heart is due to its potassium content. One of the health benefits of potassium will assure there is no excessive sodium that could be bad for heart.
- Helps Fighting Cancer
As rich of antioxidants, golden beets are excellent and natural solution to help fighting for cancer. Some studies even showed how significant the role of golden beets in inhibits the growth of tumor cells.
- Promotes Bone Health
Vitamin C, copper, manganese, magnesium and folate are the reasons why golden beets are great for bone health.
- Reduces the Risk of Alzheimer and Dementia
Some studies have proven that golden beets are among the important brain foods because according to those studies, consuming golden beets regularly is likely able to reduce the risk of Alzheimer and dementia.
- Solution to Fatigue and Anemia
As rich of minerals especially iron, golden beets are excellent and natural solution to fatigue and anemia. It is better than consuming iron supplement.
- Excellent Energy Booster
Do you need fast energy booster after an intensive session of working out? Professionals suggest you to drink a glass of golden beets juice to help you getting back the stamina.
- Reduces the Level of Cholesterol
As rich of fiber, golden beets are able to bind the excessive cholesterol in the intestine and wash them off from the system.
- Natural Anti-Aging
As rich of antioxidants, vitamin C and iron are enough reasons why you should add golden beets to your daily diet because they are an excellent and natural anti-aging solution.
Cautions of Golden Beets
When talking about the cautions of golden beets are not really different with the regular red beets. Moreover, the side effects of golden beets may affect people in different ways. The list below will tell you a bit about what things you should aware when adding golden beets to your daily diet.
- The first thing that may be your concern when it comes to eat too much golden beets is they are giving you gout. The studies have found out the connection why beets may give you gout because beets contain oxalate that contributes in the increasing of uric acid. This condition may lead to gout.
- Those who have been diagnosed with kidney problem are better to avoid golden beets entirely. The oxalate will create calcium oxalate that could lead to kidney stone.
- There are a lot of health benefits of iron and golden beets are excellent source of iron. However, too much iron could lead to several health conditions especially those who have been diagnosed with Wilson’s disease because excessive iron is only worsening the condition.
- Though beets are packed with a lot of vitamins and minerals that may good for mothers during pregnancy but golden beets also contain betaine that may be bad for the growth of the fetus.
- One more thing, if you suffer conditions like headaches, chills and nausea after consuming beets, perhaps you should avoid it entirely because it means you are allergic to this vegetable.
There are a lot of ways you could choose to put golden beets to your diet. They are excellent to be made into soup as well as mixed them to vegetables salad. Looking for something fresh, you could add golden beets to your favorite smoothies and be creative with the fruit mix.