Basmati rice is a unique species of rice that come from India. Like as all types of rice, basmati has two types: white or brown. It because depending on the extent of the grinding process. Such as jasmine rice, it has a unique odor. In the case of basmati, the smell of this is due to a chemical called 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline, which is found in basmati rice about 90 parts per billion. That’s about 12 times more than other rice types, basmati also gives special aroma.
If Brown basmati rice compared to other types of red rice in nutritional content, basmati rice contain about 20% fiber than other types of red rice, and white basmati rice better if be compared with other types of white rice.
Nutrient Content of Basmati Rice
Word “Basmati” come from Hindi, “bas” and “mati” which” that meaning “aromatic”. Everyone who has ever cooked basmati rice will feel the distinctive its aroma. Basmati rice contains carbohydrates, protein, less fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. Compared with grain rice plain, basmati rice is low in calories But, Not only has a good aroma, basmati rice also has good nutritional value:
- Calorie. A serving about 3/4 cup basmati rice contains 150 calories. Most of the calories come from carbohydrates basmati rice, a fraction of fat and protein. Brown basmati rice that has not been milled to contain more fat, protein, compared with white basmati rice
- Carbohydrate. A serving basmati rice contains 35 grams of carbohydrates, which are mostly found in the bran of wheat and white flour.
- Fat. As stated earlier, the rice are low-fat, low-cholesterol foods. Most of the fat content is very minimal which is located in wheat germ, which wastes during the milling process.
- Protein. We know, that Rice do not have many proteins, only about 3 g per serving. But it’s a little rice protein containing valuable benefits. Protein from basmati rice contains eight essential amino acids. Basmati containing 10 percent RDA for protein per cup of rice.
- Vitamins and Minerals. Basmati rice contains thiamin and niacin, two vitamin B that very valuable for metabolism. A serving also contains 6% of your iron daily value. A cup of basmati rice provides 15 percent of the RDA for niacin, essential for proper blood circulation and digestion. Vitamin B6 helps the body’s metabolic functions and can prevent cardiovascular disease. Vitamin B1 ensure red blood cells healthy and helps the normal functioning of the nervous system. Riboflavin, Pantothenic acid, folate and biotin supplement your vitamin B requirements. Other vitamins including vitamin E antioxidant, vitamin K for blood clotting, and iron for red blood cell maintenance.
- Other Nutrient. Magnesium deficiency may contribute to muscle cramping pressure and high blood pressure. a cup of cooked basmati containing magnesium 21 percent RDA. Other minerals found in a cup basmati rice including calcium 19.50 mg, potassium 83.85 mg, copper 0.20 mg, and zinc 1.23 mg.
With a lot of nutrients, what’s the main health benefits of Basmati Rice for your body ?
1. Prevent Cancer Cells
Among all varieties of rice, basmati has a nutritional value and the highest benefits to the body. Especially, that basmati rice has the outer skin layer that is more subtle than other rice. Smooth skin outer part of the rice at most health stores the content for the body. That is why it should not be milled rice until the outer layer is lost.
The outside of basmati rice is considered healthier because it stores more vitamins and fiber. Basmati rice contains approximately 20% more fiber than other types of brown rice. These fibers help prevent the formation of cancer cells in the body. (Read : Benefits of brown Rice)
2. Suitable For Diabetics
According to the Diabetes Association Canada, basmati rice has lower a glycemic index than another rice index, and thus more suitable for those who suffer from diabetes. The glycemic index carbohydrates based impact, put a notch on the face of sugar in the blood.
The glycemic index (GI) of food is influenced by the amylose content, protein, fat, fiber and starch digestibility. The digestibility of starch is a starch ability to be digested and absorbed in the body. Slowly absorbed carbohydrates produce blood glucose levels are low and the potential to control blood glucose levels.
Value glycemic index foods are grouped into low (<55), moderate (55-70), and high (> 70). If diabetics consume foodstuffs that have a high glycemic index, the blood sugar levels rapidly increased, and vice versa.
Based amylose content, rice can be divided into glutinous rice (amylose content 10- 20%), rice beramilosa moderate (20-25% amylose content), and rice beramilosa high (> 25%). The glycemic index of some varieties of rice which are summarized from several sources are presented in the table below.
At the global level, of testing found some rice varieties that produce rice was air-IG, including Basmati rice which has 58 glycemic index.
3. Suitable For Diet Program
The basmati rice had ‘amylose’ that higher levels. This amylose is a kind of carbohydrate that is not easy to digest. By consuming basmati rice, then hunger will appear longer if be compared brown rice or red rice, thus avoiding you for snacking.
Excess basmati rice is that it tastes better than red or brown rice. Even then, there are still people who did not like the basmati rice, because it is not as good as white rice and a bit smelly. This is actually because they do not know how to cook the right.
4. High Fiber Basmati Rice More Than Other Rice
One cup of basmati rice has 20 percent fiber higher than when compared to other rice. Basmati rice also has a low glycemic index. Basmati brown rice has a good fiber content, from 200 g brown basmati rice was found 7,8g fiber. High fiber content in rice is beneficial to expedite our digestive system.
For adults, the recommended fiber needs are 20-35 g/day or 10-13 g/1000 kcal. As for children and adolescents aged 2 to 20 years, according to the recommendation from American Dietetic Association (ADA) fiber needs the same age (in years) plus 5 grams of fiber each day. For example, for children 5 years old, then the need for fiber is 10 grams or (5 + 5) grams per day. For parents, the recommended fiber intake of 10-13 g / 1000 kcal.
The average consumption of fiber Indonesia’s population is 10.5 grams. This figure shows that the Indonesian people only meet fiber needs about 1/3 of the ideal need an average of 30 grams per day.
For the health benefits of fiber are:
5. Overcoming Constipation.
Fiber of Basmati rice can maintain water levels in the digestive tract. Therefore, the fiber can help soften stool consistency, so easily removed and helps overcome constipation. This rice have proven benefit for overcoming constipation, it could make indian people feel a lot of bless with this kind of rice.
6. Prevent Hemorrhoids
High feber in Basmati rice will help reduce the work of the rectal muscle movement and reduce pressure on the rectum so that hemorrhoids can be prevented.
7. Controlling Cholesterol And Reduce Heart Disease Risk
Fiber can bind cholesterol and bile acids as well as take it out of the body along with the feces, so that the concentration of fat and cholesterol in the blood decreases and the possible risk of heart disease/stroke also fell.
8. Preventing Colon Cancer
Fiber can speed the passage of food in the digestive tract thereby shortening the transit time and helps prevent exposure to cancer causing substances in the digestive tract.
9. Healthy Heart
The content of unsaturated fatty acids in nuts is believed to prevent heart disease. Meanwhile, the fiber content is believed to lower cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition in September 1999 showed that the fiber is a shield the body against heart disease, in which the research showed that women who consumed at least 25 grams of fiber per day had a risk 40% lower will be a heart attack than women who consumed less than 9 grams of fiber per day.
Scientists examine the body releases tendency of the accumulation of cholesterol in the bloodstream at the time of embracing high-fiber diet. This prevents the buildup of cholesterol in the arteries or blood vessels that can lead to heart disease.
10. Help Maintain Ideal Weight
Fiber can inhibit the absorption of fat and helps reduce calorie intake. Fiber will create a sense of fullness more quickly. Consumption of fiber resulted in the release of cholecystokinin. Combine vegetables with rice or pasta can help you control the portion of food. Journal of Nutrition in April 1997 showed that more consumption as well as, the higher the fat portion of the food is wasted during defecation. This suggests that the fat content is discarded and not absorbed by the body.
11. Prevent Diabetes Risk
Fiber, especially soluble fiber type can help improve insulin sensitivity, which can improve control over the release of insulin as a result of food consumption of carbohydrates and protein. This can help improve the diabetic condition, and keeping humans healthy to avoid diabetic condition.
A study showed that patients with type 2 diabetes can improve cholesterol levels and blood crazy through the application of high-fiber diet. And a study in the Journal of the American Medical Association on February 12, 1997 proved that participants who consume large amounts of fiber had a lower risk of the condition diabetes than those with minimal consumption of fiber.
12. Prevent Cancer
Fiber intake is believed to prevent colon cancer. The researchers observed that it help capture the cancer-causing substances and then throw in the colon. In fact, studies show that women who consumed 26 grams of fiber per day had a 25% lower risk on colon cancer than participants who consumed only 8 grams.
How to Cook Basmati Rice
Here are some well-known varieties of basmati rice. Among the varieties of indian No: Basmati-370, Basmati-385, Basmati ranbirsinghpura, punjab basmati, basmati Uttar Pradesh, safidon basmati, basmati haryana, musk basmati, basmati bihar, mahi Suganda basmati, super basmati and basmati momentum. Outside India there are varieties that are referred to as texmati and basmati pishori.
To cook the rice is also not difficult. Almost the same as ordinary rice.
- Before cooking, wash rice basamati so that a layer of dirt and kanji late llau drain.
- For softer rice, soak in cold water for ½ hour – 1 hour before cooking. For water, adjust to the desired level of softness. For rice rather pera can be used a ratio of 1: 1.3 between the rice and water. If you want a bit fluffier create a ratio of 1: 1.5.
- Add a little butter and a little lemon juice lemon / lime in order to decompose properly cooked rice. Do not forget to use an iron pan or nonstick coated so as not crusty rice and cooked perfectly.
Some of the menus that can be made from basmati rice as follows:
[toggle title=”1. Chicken biriyani”]
- 2 chickens cut
- Seasonings for chicken marinade:
- 1 lemon take the water
- 250 ml fresh milk
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 sachet biriyani
- Seasonings distinguished pan:
- 9 pieces of cloves
- 7 cardamom
- 7 cm cinnamon cut into small
- 5 bay leaves
- 5 cm chopped ginger
- 3 pieces of onion thinly sliced
- Cooking oil to taste
- 2 liters of water
- salt to taste
- 2 liters of basmati rice
How to make:
- Mix all ingredients and then insert it into was cleaned chicken, mix well, let it soak for one hour.
- Heat oil, fry the onions until browned. Just insert all the condiments that pan
- It then enter chicken, enter biriyani masala 1/2 pack only. Cook until 70% done
- Prepare to be washed basmati rice and cook until 80% cooked with salt to taste. Then put it in a basin that is perforated to dry.
- Add the rice to the sidelines of chicken so mixed with chicken broth (chicken broth approximately 1 cup)
- Cover the pan tightly (I wrap a napkin). Let stand for 30 minutes the fire was very small.
- In order not to burn my rice base pad laughter (flat fry pan)
[toggle title=”2. Biryani”]
- 1 1/2 cup basmati rice, wash
- 1 liter of water
- 6 tablespoons yogurt (plain)
- 1 cup scallions cut into rough
- 1 cup tomato cut into rough
- 3 chicken thighs (may be another part)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 tbsp ghee / butter / margarine
- 1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1 carrot small size, rugged drawstring
- 1/8 turmeric powder
- fried scallions for topping
Herbs And Spices:
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 vertebra cinnamon (for the index), break into pieces
- 6 cardamom seeds
- 1 whole lemon dry, pricks with knives (can be replaced with a regular lemon, medium size, remove the skin from being bitter)
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 bay leaf
How to make:
- Mix ingredients and spices into one. The figure below could be a reference if you want a neat
- Heat ghee / margarine / butter in non-stick pan. Or it could be the other.
- Herbs and spices Stir-fry until fragrant.
- Put the piece scallions, and cook until browned.
- Insert chunks of tomato, and cook until wilted.
- Enter the chicken thighs
- Enter the yogurt, salt and onion powder
- Cover the pan. Cook until chicken changes color.
- Add 1 liter of water. Cook until boiling.
- Filtered water. Discard the waste.
- Add rice.
- After the rice is almost cooked, about 70%. Sprinkle grated carrot, turmeric powder and fry scallions.
- Pot lid. Cook over low heat until the water is absorbed. If the rice is not cooked right, you can add more water as needed.
- Can you though according to taste. Can be baked, grilled or fried in. Or simply cooked with rice.
- Move into the biryani rice dishes and a large width. Put the chicken on rice. Sprinkle with fried scallions.
[toggle title=”3. Instant Biryani rice cooker”]
- 1 packet of instant biryani
- 1/2 kg chicken
- 1/2 cup rice 3/750 grams (original recipes use basmati rice)
- Water taste (for cooking rice)
- 2 pieces Onions
- 1 large tomato fruit
- 3-4 potatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 cm ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tablespoons yogurt, plain
- 2 tbsp olive oil / oil (for frying)
How to make:
- Prepare rice that has been washed and given water, set aside
- Sliced onions and garlic, minced ginger, chicken and tomatoes cut, potato split in two.
- Saute onion and ginger until fragrant, put chicken along with the potatoes. Cook until the chicken half cooked add salt, stir briefly and then turn off the heat.
- Enter a stir, tomatoes, yogurt, and biryani into step 1 powder, stir and press the button as ordinary rice cookers
- Once cooked stir back
- Serve (add yogurt over rice if desired)
[toggle title=”4. Lahm Kabsah (Kabsah mutton)”]
Kabsah rice is the food is cheap and very popular in Saudi Arabia.
- 1 kg Basmati Rice
- 1 kg Goat Meat (lamb chop, ribs or thighs)
- 3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 piece Onions
- 5 cloves Garlic
- 3 cm Ginger
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin Bumbuk White
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon Black Pepper Powder
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 1 tablespoon Cardamom
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning all spice
- 3 items Star Anise
- 3 grains of dried lemon
- 1 tablespoon cloves
- 3 pieces of Cinnamon
- 2 pieces Ripe Tomato
- 200 ml Ketchup
- 8 Green Chilli fresh fruit
- 1 to taste Maggi block
- 3 tablespoons salt
- taste Raisin
Optional that more savory aroma
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 piece Charcoal
- Aluminium foil taste
How to make:
- Basmati rice is washed and soaked in approximately 30 minutes before cooking
- Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the skillet. Onions and garlic finely chopped, then stir-fry after fragrant simmer
- Then all the inputs of all spices cumin, coriander, turmeric and black pepper, saffron, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, dried lime, ginger chopped finely and add salt. And also enter sliced tomato dice, can add a little ketchup and maggi block
- After the scent of fragrant add a little water and then enter mutton stir, after the meat changes color add roughly enough water to cook rice
- Once the meat looks tender, enter Basmati rice soaked; then cook until aron lift and steamed. When using a special pot does not need to be steamed.
- Prepare aluminum foil and formed container box filled with 1 tablespoon oil. Heat coals to smolder
- Make a hole in the middle of rice that are steamed or boiled and then put aluminum foil and enter the following oil charcoals, closed back in the pot or steamer. We will get the aroma that well and sprinkle raisins on top. set green chilli thereon
- Lift after being cooked and serve.