How often do you take cornflakes for breakfast? Breakfast being the first meal we eat in the morning, it’s a very essential to ensure that you get the best out of it.
Breakfast should not be just any breakfast; it should have nutrients and vitamins that are actually adding value to your health just like Health benefits of Having a Smoothie For Breakfast. Due to its numerous benefits, people should consider having cornflakes for breakfast. Below are fact and benefits of cornflakes for breakfast.
- A good source of Folate
Folate is beneficial for the formation of new cells. It helps in preventing birth defects, colon, cancer and heart disease just like Benefits of Adding Beets to Smoothies are Amazing for Your Health.
- It is low in cholesterol.
High cholesterol is well known for its effects in triggering high blood pressure and obesity. Cornflake, on the other hand, has low cholesterol thus reducing the risk of heart attack and heart disease just like Proven Foods That Lower Cholesterol Level in 5 minutes.
- High Iron content
Iron is a main component of haemoglobin. A high iron rich diet is needed to maintain proper healthy blood levels. Additionally, it’s good in keeping the brain alert just like Health Benefits of Diet High in Fruits and Vegetables.
- Cornflakes have Thiamine
That is good for carbohydrates trait and in metabolism, energy production and cognitive functions. Thus increase energy production as well as cerebral functions.
- Low sodium and sugar
Cornflakes are made from milled sugar and corn products which actually have low levels of sugar and sodium. The low levels of sodium help in maintaining blood pressure and health of the heart just like Amazing Health Benefits of Watermelon and Cantaloupe.
When the cornflakes are added with milk, it makes the diet protein rich. Protein is a vital element in general growing immunity, repairing body tissues, regulating enzymes and hormones and also maintaining the structure of the red blood cells just like Health Benefits of Purple Yams.
- It has low saturated fats hence giving you a good satiety
Satiety is the feeling that you have had enough of something especially food.
- Contains carotenoid (beta-cryptoxanthin)
The pigment is known due to its association with prevention of cardiovascular and macular disease, in addition, it is good for healthy lungs. It also prevents lung cancer.
- Contains Lutein
Lutein is an essential nutrient for eye health. Amazing, for boosting human cognitive ability and memory.
How to Consume Cornflakes for Breakfast
To get benefits of cornflakes for breakfast for health, here are the recipe:
1. Cheesy cornflakes recipe
- 1 cup corn flakes
- ¼ roasted peanuts
- 2 teaspoons grated processed cheese
- ½ teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Salt to taste
- Combine the butter and peanuts in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds.
- Add all the other ingredients, mix well and microwave on high for one minute.
- Cool completely and store in an airtight container.
- Enjoy your cheesy cornflakes.
2. Cornflake muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1teaspoon baking powder
- ½Teaspoon of salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2cups corn flakes
- 1 ½ cups milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- Stir together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, set aside.
- Combine crushed corn flakes and milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Wait about 2mins until cereal is slightly softened.
- Add egg and oil; beat well.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture stirring until well combined.
- Portion batter evenly into 12 greased 2 ½ inch muffin pan cups.
- Bake at 400 celcius about 20 minutes until golden brown.
Tips for storage
- Store in a cool dry area once opened and keep the package tightly sealed.
- Expiry time shown is for best quality. After that, the cereal texture colour and flavour might change but in most cases it still safe to consume if it has been stored correctly.
- If the cereal develops an off odour flavor or appearance it should be discarded if mould appears to discard the entire product as it is unsafe for consumption.
Cornflakes are tasty for breakfast however it should not be considered as an alternative to either an exercise or balanced diet. A good and healthy breakfast includes fresh fruits and vegetables followed cornflakes.