There is no reason to deny the benefits of protein for human health though some people prefer to savour the health benefits of giving up meat. However, when protein is combined with other compounds will result an excellent body metabolism. White meat is one of the excellent sources of protein and besides chicken, duck and other poultry, not a lot of people know about the health benefits of rabbit meat.
Nutrition Contained in Rabbit Meat
Before you learn more about the benefits of rabbit meat, learn more about the nutrition contained in rabbit meat is also important.
Serving per 100 g
|Nutrition||% Daily Value|
|Total Fat||3.5 g (5%)|
|– Saturated Fat||1.1 g|
|– Polyunsaturated Fat||0.7 g|
|– Monounsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Cholesterol||123 mg (41%)|
|Sodium||45 mg (1%)|
|Potassium||343 mg (9%)|
|Protein||33 g (66%)|
What Makes Rabbit Meat Excellent Protein Source?
A lot of people find out no reason to eat rabbit meat when the fact is there are more benefits of meat when you could get by replacing your regular white meat with rabbit meat.
- Lower in Fat Compared to Other Types of Meat
One of the health benefits of rabbit meat is its low fat content even compared to other types of white meat. As mentioned in nutrition fact above per 100 gram of rabbit meat only contains around 3.5 g of fat which is really low.
- Contains High Quality Protein Content
Rabbit meat also contains high quality of protein content. The type of protein contained in rabbit meat is easily digestible. It means while body could get all the benefits of protein without being harmful for digestive system.
- High in Vitamin B12 for Brain Health
Some studies also found out that rabbit meat is high in vitamin B12 which is not only good for brain health but also optimize the function of nerve system. Prevent some degenerative conditions in brain cells such as dementia and Alzheimer.
- Excellent Source of Potassium for Heart Health
Compared to other types of white meat, rabbit meat is also excellent source of potassium. The health benefits of potassium are good to maintain heart health due to its ability to eliminate excessive amount of sodium in blood.
- Contains Essential Minerals for Daily Requirement
Speaking of mineral contents you could find not only potassium and iron but also selenium which is good for sperm production and also iron to optimize the production of red blood cells.
- Rich of Omega 3 Fatty Acids
Surely you have been familiar with the omega 3 fatty acid health benefits. Rabbit meat is also rich of omega 3 fatty acids. It is type of healthy fat which is good to maintain heart health and reduce the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Rabbits Eats Grass or Vegetables Only
As rabbit is only eating grass or vegetable, you could find the meat of rabbit is almost cholesterol free. It means it is one of the highly recommended foods that lower cholesterol level.
- Low in Calories
Not only it is low in fat content, rabbit meat is also low in calories. In other words, this type of meat is good option for those who are currently in weight loss diet or in diabetes treatments.
- High in Calcium
As high in calcium, consuming rabbit meat is good to maintain the health of bones and gum health.
- Super Low in Sodium
All foods that are low in sodium are good to maintain heart health. Furthermore, rabbit meat is also high in potassium which could make sure the amount of sodium in blood is safe enough for human body metabolism.
Why Rabbits Meat Considered as Environmental Friendly?
Nowadays, even you need to choose foods that considered as environmental friendly if you want to be part of sustainable society. Rabbit meat is considered as one of the foods that are friendly for environments.
- Compared to other types of white meat, rabbit meat is the best source you could find in the marketplaces.
- Compared to other types of livestock, rabbit is one of the most productive livestock animals because you only need around three months to raise a rabbit until it is reaching maturity. It means you could save a lot of foods and waters compared to other livestock animals like cow, goat or even chickens.
- As mentioned in one of the health benefits of rabbit meat above this animal is only consuming grass of vegetables. In other words, it is completely friendly for environment.
- Compared to other types of meat, USDA stated that rabbit is one of the safest edible meat with no hormone is administrated and GM free.
Cautions of Eating Rabbit Meat
Aside from the health benefits of rabbit meat, there are some cautions you should know and the dangers waiting for you when eating rabbit meat.
- Just like consuming any meat is important for you to know the exact source of rabbit meat. It is better to get the rabbit rightly from the farm where you could check with what the rabbits were fed. In other words is highly forbidden to consume wild rabbit or rabbit where you cannot ensure where it comes from.
- Though the case of protein toxicity is very rare but if rabbit meat is the only source of protein you get and then the risk of protein toxicity will increase. That is why very important to consume variety of foods instead of only several types of foods. It occurs because as rabbit meat is low in fat and calories, your body will not get enough fat required for metabolism.
- It is also important for you to find out the proper way to cook or serve the rabbit meat.
There are a lot of health benefits of meat, poultry and fish. From the explanation above you could summary up that rabbit meat is low in calories and fats which are good for weight loss and diet in general. However, consuming foods in variety is also important because you cannot just depend on the protein obtained from rabbit meat, consuming red meat like beef or mutton is also highly recommended.