Malaysia, which comprises Indonesia (where it is known as “jambu merah”), Malaysia, Philippines, Brunei, Singapore, Papua New Guinea and also Australia. The tropical nature of the fruit has let itself being introduced into other regions with similar climates, such as Hawaii, and the Caribbean which earned the nickname “Jamaican apple.”
It also sometimes referred to as the Otaheite cashew, despite sharing no similarities or relationships with cashew nuts. Also, what are some things that should be known about Otaheite apple? Similar to the health benefits of Malay apple, these are some of the health benefits of Malay apple seeds.
An Introduction to Otaheite Apples
Otaheite apples are strictly tropical fruits and will immediately perish once exposed to colder temperatures or climate. It thrives in tropical areas with humid climates that have at least 152cm of rainfall per year. While then, Otaheite apples can also be found in various altitudes from sea level up to 2,740m above sea level.
Appearance wise, they are small sized, oblong shaped, light crimson in colour, with white flesh and a core of seeds, but a texture and flavour quality like normal apples. The main taste difference in between Otaheite apples and other apples is that Otaheite apple has bland flavour while ordinary apples are sweeter and juicier.
Nutrition Facts of Otaheite Apples
- Serving Size – 28 g
- Calories – 7 kcal
- Total Fat – 0 g
- Saturated Fat – 0.1 g (0% of DV)
- Polyunsaturated Fat – 0 g (0% of DV)
- Monounsaturated Fat – 0 g (0% of DV)
- Trans Fat – 0 g (0% of DV)
- Cholesterol – 0 g (0% of DV)
- Total Carbohydrates – 1.6 g (1% of DV)
- Protein – 0.2 g (0% of DV)
- Vitamins and Minerals
- Vitamin A benefits – 94.9 IU (2% of DV)
- Vitamin B6 – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Vitamin B12 – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Vitamin C benefits – 6.2 mg (0% of DV)
- Vitamin D – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Vitamin K benefits – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Thiamine – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Riboflavin – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Niacin (0.2 mg) (0% of DV)
- Benefits of Calcium – 8.1 mg (1% of DV)
- Iron – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Magnesium – 1.4 mg (0% of DV)
- Phosphorus – 2.2 mg (0% of DV)
- Sodium – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Potassium – 34.4 mg (1% of DV)
- Zinc – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Copper – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Manganese – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Selenium – 0 mg (0% of DV)
- Fluoride – 0 mg (0% of DV)
All the information above are in relation to a 2,000-calorie diet. The percentage of daily value (% of DV) may differ depending on personal calorie needs.
What are its Health Benefits?
- Otaheite Apple Seeds for the Eyes and Skin
Otaheite apple contains vitamin A as much as 94.9 IU, per the nutrition facts above. And as we all know it, vitamin A is needed for a healthy and sharp vision. In addition, Otaheite apples also have vitamin C, which also contributes to the skin by nourishing and regenerate it, while protecting us from skin cancer.
- Otaheite Apple Seeds for Digestion and Supply of Carbohydrates
Otaheite apple seeds work for achieving a good digestion because they contain fibres, especially dietary fibre. Aside from improving digestion, dietary fibre also ensures that the whole digestive process go smooth. While then, Otaheite apples are also a decent supplier of carbohydrates in terms of providing a healthy source of energy, at 14.2 grams of carbohydrates for every 100 grams of Otaheite apples.
- Otaheite Apple Seeds for Bone plus Physical Strength
The calcium of Otaheite apples, which is available at 8.1 mg help the bones to become stronger. And then, Otaheite apple’s vitamin C reserves at 22 mg of vitamin C per 100 g of Otaheite apple strengthens immunity for a safeguard against various diseases.
- Otaheite Apple Seeds for Fever and Sprue Treatment
Sprue can happen due to a deficit of vitamin C. Again, Otaheite apple’s vitamin C reserves at 22 mg of vitamin C per 100 g of Otaheite apple can also be useful for treating sprue. Meanwhile, steeping Otaheite apple with warm water to be used as a compress also helps to reduce fever.
- Otaheite Apple Seeds for Curing Dysentery as well as Diabetes
Diabetes is primarily caused by an increase of blood sugar levels beyond the normal level. Otaheite apple regulates diabetes by becoming an alternative source of sweetener to replace sugar products. In the meantime, dysentery can also be prevented using this particular type of fruit too!
- Otaheite Apple Seeds as Antioxidants and also Antibiotics
The nutrition facts above also stated that there are various forms of vitamins and minerals found in each Otaheite apple fruit, which is especially true for vitamin A and vitamin C at 94.9 IU and 6.2 mg respectively. With this in hand, diseases could be better anticipated on time. Moreover, Otaheite apples show antibiotic activity by having immediate effects on breathing and blood pressure.
- Otaheite Apple Seeds for Oral Infection plus Wounds
Samoan people traditionally use Otaheite apple leaves for treating oral infection by making it into a juice. And as for wounds, specifically wounds on the tongue, the leaves of the same fruit could also be made into powder for direct application on the tongue!
- Otaheite Apple Seeds as a Moisturizer as well as for Rash Treatment
Otaheite apple trees are also useful as a moisturizer, specifically the leaves. To moisturize the skin, juice the leaves and apply it directly onto the skin. And finally as for rash treatment, the roots can be used in this case.