During pregnancy, many women avoid caffeine because it is not healthy for the body. However, there are several types of herbal teas that are safe to consume during pregnancy. If consumed in the right amount, herbal tea also have a positive impact on pregnancy.
Some people think that consuming tea during pregnancy is dangerous. However, depending on the type of tea, there are some beneficial teas during pregnancy. Some teas that are suitable to drink during pregnancy are like:
- Tea Nettle – Provides high Health Benefits of Iron, magnesium, and calcium which is beneficial during pregnancy.
- Raspberry leaf tea – useful for preparing the uterus for labor and preventing post-partum hemorrhage. This tea also has a high calcium and Benefits of Magnesium content that is beneficial during pregnancy.
- Dandelion leaves tea – has a potent good Benefits of Potassium benefit for pregnant women.
- Rooibos tea – free of caffeine, contains calcium, magnesium and many antioxidants needed during pregnancy.
- Ginger tea – effective in fighting morning sickness, vomiting, nausea, headaches and mood swings.
- Green tea – If not consumed in excessive amounts, green tea is used to prevent cell damage, improve blood circulation, and reduce high blood pressure. You need to know more about Benefits of Green Tea for Health.
- Chamomile tea – calms the mind and helps you get better sleep quality. Read more about Health Benefits of Herbal Chamomile Tea.
Besides the types of tea above that is safe to consume during pregnancy, there is 1 other type of tea that has some health benefits during pregnancy. It was a peppermint tea. What are the health benefits of peppermint tea during pregnancy? Take a look at the list below.
The health benefits of peppermint tea during pregnancy!
Some of the health benefits that provide peppermint tea for those of you who are pregnant are:
- General benefits
Peppermint tea has soothing properties that can help soothe your abdominal muscles. Pregnant women usually have indigestion or irritable bowel syndrome. One of the benefits of peppermint tea is to treat stomach upset experienced during pregnancy. This is possible because peppermint tea contains high methanol.
In addition, peppermint tea offers a strong aromatic flavor that is preferred by pregnant women. It helps the body to be free from stress and relax.
- Improve digestive health
Treating gastrointestinal disorders effectively is another benefit of peppermint tea. Peppermint tea is an herbal tea that helps soothe the abdominal muscles and relieve pain or irritation symptoms, it is safe to take during pregnancy.
The way it works is, during pregnancy, peppermint tea stimulates the flow of bile and promotes healthy bowel movement. Digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, constipation or diarrhea can be overcome by consuming peppermint tea.
- Overcome nausea and vomiting
Nausea and vomiting are common problems facing pregnant women. Besides the benefits of ginger tea, peppermint tea can also overcome this problem. This is because peppermint tea has an aroma that acts as an antispasmodic that can reduce the desire for vomiting and nausea. Peppermint tea is a highly safe herbal tea consumed to overcome morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Treating respiratory problems
Antispasmodic in peppermint tea has another benefit that is to help reduce respiratory disorders. Peppermint tea has a beneficial calming effect to relax your chest and throat muscles. With these benefits, peppermint tea also helps to relieve excessive chest pain and relieve cold and flu symptoms.
- Boost the immune system
To prevent diseases such as viral infections including colds, coughs and influenza fever that pregnant women can suffer, take peppermint tea during pregnancy.
This is because peppermint tea is useful to boost your immune system and help fight off infections.
- Reduce stress levels
During pregnancy, a woman may feel anxious or stressed. Peppermint tea is a useful herbal tea to prevent or reduce the Health Risks of Stress during pregnancy effectively.
In addition, peppermint tea has an anti-inflammatory effect that helps reduce body temperature and blood pressure. It also helps to relax your muscles and so you can feel calm and tranquil.
Other health benefits of peppermint tea during pregnancy:
- Peppermint tea, combined with snacks, such as biscuits and a piece of fruit, can help prevent morning sickness.
- During pregnancy, peppermint tea can help soothe your stomach and relax the digestive tract to work more efficiently.
- Reduce headaches – peppermint tea has been shown to help in relieving headache-related pain and reduce its frequency during pregnancy which may be caused by stress.
- Stay hydrated – due to nausea and vomiting, those who experience this can rapidly become dehydrated during pregnancy. Peppermint tea can help solve this problem without having to use artificial flavorings, sweeteners, or other additives.
Side effects of Peppermint tea during pregnancy!
Although it has beneficial properties that are beneficial during pregnancy, you need to be vigilant when drinking peppermint tea during pregnancy, because:
- Although there is no scientific evidence linking peppermint tea and miscarriage, a person with a history of miscarriage is not recommended to consume peppermint tea.
- Peppermint tea is also not recommended for women who breastfeed because it has a harmful effect on the baby.
- Interaction with drugs. In some cases, peppermint tea may have a negative effect when interacting with other drugs. During pregnancy, to follow your obstetrician’s advice, you may be taking prenatal vitamins and other medications. So it would be better if you make sure first with your doctor whether or not you can consume peppermint tea during pregnancy.
- Allergies – If you have an allergy to methanol, then obviously you need to avoid peppermint tea. Peppermint tea may cause an allergic reaction and increase its frequency.
- Some discomforts including muscle pain, drowsiness, slow heart rate and sudden tremor, can be caused if you consume excess peppermint tea.
Essentially, consuming peppermint tea during pregnancy is safe, only if you do not overdo it in consuming it. It is recommended that you do not consume more than 2-3 servings of herbal tea, including peppermint tea in a day.