If we heard about the fruit of cherry, most of us surely remember our childhood about the tree of cherry as one place for us to play together with our friends at that time. Besides the taste is sweet, its tree also as a place to play, we can climb it or just play under cherry tree that is shady. The shape of cherry fruit is small and round; has green color when it is young or raw and has red color when the fruit is ripe.
In some area, cherry is more famous as the name of Kersen or Talok (Muntingia calabura L). In Madura area, cherry is known as the name of Baleci. Reputedly, the tree of cherry came from Latin America. Recently the tree of cherry has spread mostly into Southeast Asian, include Malay and Indonesia.
In other countries except Indonesia, the fruit of cherry is known as different names such as :
- Philipines, cherries are commonly called by the name of datiles, aratiles, manzanitas,
- Vietnam , cherries are commonly called by the name mât sâm,
- Laos is called khoom sômz, takhôb,
- Thailand is called takhop farang,
- Malay is called enough siam,
- Cambodia is called krâkhôb goods
However, cherry is not only known in Asia, in Europe countries cherry also is known with different names in each country. In Spanish, cherry is called as blanco, cacaniqua, nigua, niguito. In England ,the cherry is called as Panama berry, and Singapore cherry. While the Dutch people usually mention cherry as Japanese kers (Japanese cherry) which is then adapted by Indonesia and mention it as a cherry fruit, or many Indonesian people also call it as cherry.
The Characteristics of Tree, leaves and Fruit of Cherry
The tree, leaves and fruit of cherry have own their characteristics so that we are not difficult to recognize and find the cherry tree. The characteristics of tree and cherry fruit are stated as the following:
- Chery fruit is small and round, it is green when the cherry is young . But the cherry fruit turns burn bright red when it is ripe.
- The cherries have a sweet taste with a lot of water and there are many seeds like sand sized an average of 0.5 mm (the seeds can be eaten or swallowed).
- Cherry fruit is not a seasonal fruit. So cherries can grow and bear fruit throughout the year regardless of season.
- It has a green leaf, but when the leaf become wilts, it can be yellow close to orange.
- The leaves are horizontal and alternate between one leaf with the other. It has an asymmetrical shape. The edges of the leaves are toothed and the edges on the leaves are tapered but not sharp.
- The leaves of the cherry tree can not survive at too hot temperature. For temperatures that are too hot then the leaves usually will turn yellow, then dry, until the fall.
- The tree can be up to 12 meters tall. But the cherry tree is usually only 2-5 meters tall.
- The cherry tree has branches that are shade. So many people commonly it as a shelter.
- The cherry tree is able to grow on all soil conditions. Both dry soil and moist soil or gambur. Because cherries are easy to grow and grow a lot in Indonesian soil, then the Dutch mention that the cherries originally come from Indonesia.
- The cherry tree does not require special care. During the rainy season,the cherry trees will grow very fertile and when summer comes, cherry leaves sometimes dry and fall out. However, cherry trees are quite strong in all weather conditions.
- The cherry tree sometimes grows without being planted, this is because the cherry tree includes a wild seedling tree. So no wonder if we often find cherry trees on the roadside, in the yard, sidewalk curb, and others.
- The wood from the cherry tree is soft
Cherry Fruit Contents
There are so many ingredients that we can find in cherries which the substances contain inside are very important to the human body. From the various ingredients that stored in the fruit is very reasonable, so the cherries have considerable benefits. As we need to know the content in 100 grams of cherries are:
- Water = 77.8 grams
- Carbohydrate = 17.9 grams
- Protein = 0.384 grams
- Ash = 1.14 grams
- Fat = 1.56 grams
- Fiber = 4.6 grams
- Niacin = 0.554 grams
- Ribofalin = 0.037 grams
- Carotene = 0.019 grams
- Tianin = 0.065 grams
- C = 80.5 milligrams
- Phosphorus = 84 milligrams
- Iron = 1.18 milligrams
While the energy value = 380KJ / 100 gram.
From the many substances contain in the dosage of 100 grams of cherries are very beneficial to the human body. Then it is very true if the cherry is one of the fruits that can be considered to be herbal medicine in accordance with its function.
Ancient people are used to use the cherries as uric acid, cherries proved to reduce the pain suffered by patients or people affected by gout. Besides as a drug uric acid, cherries also have a usefulness to cure diseases that occur in the body. Another benefits of cherry leaves for health is to launch a bowel movement, by consuming cherry fruit then defecate it to be smooth, it is because the cherries contain fiber. Also read: Health Benefits of Ground Cherry
In addition to cherries, the leaves of cherries also contain compounds that are quite good and quite beneficial to the human body. The content that contained in the leaves of cherries include:
- Tanin, it is a secondary metabolite compound. It has function to precipitate proteins so they are usefull to be anti-septic, as gelatin-detecting reagents, proteins and alkaloids, as well as many other functions of tannin compounds.
- Flavonoids, the benefits of flavonoid compounds that act as antioxidants andthey are able to prevent cancer. In most cases, lavonoid can play a direct role as an antibiotic by interfering with the function of microorganisms such as bacteria or viruses. Also read: Health Benefits of Tart Cherry Juice
- Saponins, they are triterpene and sterol glycosides, saponins have also been detected in over 90 plants. And cherry leaves are one that contain saponins that are very useful for humans to lower sugar levels.
Benefits of Cherry Leaves
From some content that contain in cherry leaves, the cherry leaves have the following benefits of cherry leaves for health such as
1. As Sugar Level Reducer
For diabetic people, water cherry leaves stew can lower sugar levels in the body. Making cherry leaves stew as a diabetic drug has been done since a long time ago. Cherry leaves contain saponins and flavoniods can lower sugar levels for diabetics. Its use is quite simple, just by boiling and drinking boiled water of cherry leaves. Also read: Health Benefits of Chokecherry
2. Good for lowering sugar content
Some experimental animal studies have been conducted, and the results of these experiments prove that cherry leaves are able to relieve pain. Just as the cherries are able to reduce the level of pain in people with uric acid.
4. Good for pain relief [AdSense-C]
Cooking water from cherry leaves is also efficacious treating cholesterol. The use of cherry leaves as a cholesterol drug is very simple. Just prepare 1 to 2 handfuls of fresh cherry leaves and prepare three glasses of clean water. Then boil and remain until the water becomes half, boiled water can be taken twice a day. Also read: Health Benefits of Cherry Blossom Tea
6. Good for lowering cholesterol
Nature has been created with all its contents so complete. Many are able to be utilized although we sometimes do not realize the benefits of it. Like the benefits of cherry leaves. Plants that grow wild sometimes even accidentally planted, they have a tremendous benefit. Starting from the tree that can bring the shade, the fruit until the leaves