28 Inevitable Health Benefits of Raw Shallots
Not only cooked, raw shallots also bring health benefits to your body. Although raw shallots are cooked, for example, fried onions bring a tasty and savory taste, but actually, there are more health benefits of raw shallots. Read also about Health Benefits of Red Onions.
Nutrition content of raw shallots!
In 100 g of raw shallots, there are nutrients such as:
- Calories (kcal) 71
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated fat 0 g
- Polyunsaturated fats 0 g
- Monounsaturated fats 0 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 12 mg
- Potassium 334 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17 g
- Fiber food 3.2 g
- Sugar 8 g
- Protein 2.5 g
- Vitamin A 4 IU
- Vitamin C 8 mg
- Calcium 37 mg
- Iron 1.2 mg
- Vitamin D 0 IU
- Vitamin B6 0.3 mg
- Vitamin B12 0 μg
- Magnesium 21 mg
Because it has many healthy nutrients, of course, raw shallots have benefits for your body. Check out the list!
The health benefits of raw shallots!
Here are some of the benefits of raw shallots consumed in the raw state that will be obtained by the body:
- Overcoming constipation
For some people who have constipation then you need to consume raw shallots in a raw state. This needs to be done because shallots can help the process of toxic disposal in the body. So, if you have constipation, then you may try to overcome it by using raw shallots.
- Prevent the occurrence of cancer
Shallots can be used to Prevent Cancer Naturally. Cancer is known as one of the dangerous diseases that can cause death. For that, many researchers looking for alternative medicine to treat cancer. Some experts say that the content of sulfur compounds in the shallots can prevent cancer. The active compounds present in raw shallots are used to inhibit the development of cancer cells present in the body.
So for the prevention of cancer, you should be consumed raw shallots, so that existing cancer cells do not develop and cause more severe disease. In addition to sulfur compounds, raw shallots also contain sulfur that can protect the body from several cancers such as cancer of the stomach, intestines, lung and prostate breast. You need to know about Symptoms of Lung Cancer.
- Nourish the heart
Methylallyl Sufida content and amino acid sulfur that is in the raw shallots is known to reduce bad cholesterol levels contained in the body. Many consume raw shallots will make cholesterol levels in the body become normal and make blood circulation is not disturbed, so it can improve heart health.
In addition, the existing content in raw shallots can also control high blood pressure that often occurs for some people and also used to open clogged arteries.
- Controlling diabetes
Diabetes is a disease caused by a lack of insulin production in the body. While the existing content in raw shallots serves to increase insulin production in the body.
For that, for diabetics, you can consume raw shallots regularly to maintain the levels of insulin in the body to improve health especially for people with diabetes.
- Bleeding problem
Frequent bleeding such as nose bleeding can be cured by using slices of raw shallots.
The trick is easy, you need to sipping slices of raw shallots, and then the blood coming out of the nose will stop. In addition to treating nosebleed, raw shallots are also believed to be very effective in treating hemorrhoids.
- Overcoming strep throat
In addition can be used to overcome bad breath, and also infections of the mouth and gums, raw shallots can also overcome a sore throat that is often experienced by most people.
A sore throat can be caused by several things, namely from the change of the season, the consumption of ice and oil excessive. For those who have a sensitive throat, may consume raw shallots so as not to happen strep throat as is commonly experienced.
- Lose weight
For some people who have a disorder with weight, consuming red shallots could be an alternative that can be done to reduce the fat content in the body.
This is because inside the raw shallots contained chromium which can help you lose weight. Just by consuming about 3-4 raw shallots each day then weight problems can be avoided.
- Overcoming the cold in children
Cold sickness is not only experienced by adults and parents alone, even a small child can experience a cold as natural adults. The raw shallots are cut into two parts, then mixed with both eucalyptus oil and cooking oil. Rub on the child’s back. Warm content obtained from raw shallots can warm the body and then eliminate the common colds.
- Increases hair growth
Raw shallots are effective in preventing hair loss and fertilizing hair. Sulfur in raw shallots helps improve blood circulation to the scalp and increase the production of collagen needed for new hair growth.
How to use, blender raw shallots sufficiently. Mix with 1 teaspoon of honey and three drops of lavender essential oil. Massage into the scalp evenly. Cover hair with shower cap and leave overnight or at least for 1 hour.
Rinse hair with water and then shampoo as usual. Repeat this treatment 2 or 3 times a week until you get the result that you want.
- Control blood sugar levels
Shallots are very good for diabetics. Sulfur compounds called allyl propyl disulfide in shallots help increase insulin production and blood glucose levels for type 1 and type 2 diabetics.
In addition, shallots contain an amount of chromium which increases the body’s glucose tolerance. Therefore, diabetics are strongly recommended to consume raw shallots regularly.
- Boost the immune system
Because it contains polyphenols, shallots boost immunity and protect the body from free radicals. Not only that, shallots contain mineral selenium which helps improve immunity by increasing the immune response.
The immune function will decrease during radiation treatment for cancer patients. However, with the intake of foods rich in quercetin, the cancer immune system can increase again and not susceptible to pain.
- Increases bone density
Shallots help slow down bone loss. That is why eating raw shallots are very powerful to Prevent Osteoporosis Naturally.
A 2009 study proves eating shallot every day increases bone density in menopausal women. The researchers also concluded that shallots may reduce the risk of hip fractures in women by up to 20 percent.
- Overcoming asthma
Shallots can also reduce Symptoms of Asthma and other respiratory disorders. According to a 2013 study published in the American Journal of Physiology, quercetin found in shallots can help relax the respiratory muscles and reduce asthma symptoms.
In addition, the sulfur content works as an anti-inflammatory agent that effectively relieves asthma. But keep in mind, if you are allergic to asparagus, that is mean you are also allergic to shallots. So, stop the intake of shallots if symptoms of allergic appear.
- Improving oral health
Indeed, raw shallots can cause your breath to smell bad. But raw shallot is beneficial to improve your oral health. Raw shallots have antibacterial properties that can help reduce harmful bacteria that cause cavities and gum disease.
The trick is very easy. Chew a piece of raw shallot every day for 2 to 3 minutes to get rid of the bad bacteria in your mouth.
- Nourish the skin
Raw shallots can make your skin healthy and radiant. Raw shallot is also efficacious reduce black spots and skin pigmentation and prevent acne.
How to make it, mix 1 tablespoon of onion juice with a ½ tablespoon of yogurt. Apply to skin and neck area. Wait 10 minutes, then rinse warmly. Use this mask once or twice a week.
- Eradicate hair fleas
You can even use raw onions to remove head lice on the scalp. High sulfur content helps kill head lice and eggs. A study of 2014 found raw shallot effective in killing head lice.
The trick is blender 2-3 shallots. Apply to scalp and massage up to the hair root. Cover hair with shower cap for 2 to 3 hours. After that, rinse hair with warm water.
Wait for the hair to dry. Then comb the hair with a nit comb to remove dead lice. Repeat daily for 3 days and do once a week as a precaution.
- Sets sleep and mood
Folate found in red shallots can help depression by preventing excess homocysteine from forming in the body, which can prevent blood and other nutrients to reach the brain.
Production of the hormone serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine are influenced by Homocysteine, so it can help manage not only mood but also sleep and appetite well.
- Overcoming flatulence in children
Children can easily catch a cold, which causes bloating. To overcome with the easy way, take a clean shallot and then puree. Give a little oil then apply on the navel of the little kid.
- Relieves a cough
Coughing often occurs in cold weather and attacks children. Healing recipe is to use grated shallot added with oil then apply all over the back.
Other health benefits of raw shallots:
- Act as an antioxidant agent
- Improve circulation and metabolism
- Lowering blood pressure
- Against obesity – raw shallot has a role in losing weight and preventing Health Risks of Obesity.
- It has antibacterial and antiviral properties
- Prevents blood clotting – Shallots contain anti-clotting substances. The content of sulfur in onion is used to prevent blood clotting.
- Maintaining brain health – Shallots contain many vitamin B complexes such as pantothenic acid, pyridoxine, folate and thiamin which are important nutrients for the brain and play a role in preventing neurological disorders.
- Strengthen the network connector – Sulfur contained in red onion useful in the formation of connective tissue.
- Reduces the risk of hypertension – Onions contain a substance called allicin, which maintains the flexibility of blood vessels to maintain normal blood pressure. Read about Symptoms of High Blood Pressure.
Cautions of raw shallots!
Although raw shallots have a lot of health benefits but need to note some of the following so that treatment using raw shallots can be more effective.
- Carbohydrates in shallots can cause gas and bloat, according to the National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse.
- Shallots, especially when consumed in raw, can worsen heartburn in people suffering from chronic gastritis or gastric reflux disease, according to a 1990 study in the American Journal of Gastroenterology.
- Consuming a number of shallots or increasing the consumption of shallots may interfere with blood-thinning drugs, according to the University of Georgia.
- People who have a shallot allergy may experience redness, itchy eyes, and a rash if shallot comes into contact with the skin.
- People with an intolerance to shallots may experience nausea, vomiting and other gastric discomforts.
- Choose raw shallots that have a sharper smell because the endurance will also be longer than raw shallots that smells sweet. The sharp odor of raw shallots contains under preservatives derived from the natural compound of the shallots itself.
- Store raw shallots in temperatures away from direct light effects and stored in a room with enough ventilation.
- Store raw shallot in non-metallic containers. Because if stored in a container derived from metal, the content of the shallots can be lost, so it can eliminate the taste and benefits when used as a treatment material.
- Eat raw shallots sufficiently.
That’s the health benefits offered by raw shallots for your body!