27 Health Benefits of Kohlrabi Vegetable (No.9 Amazing)
Kohlrabi (German Turnip) is a tuber vegetables in the Brassica family, including cabbage, broccoli, and Brussels sprouts coming from Europe. Its scientific name is Brassica oleracea (Gongylodes Group). Kohlrabi grown throughout the temperate regions of the harvest for 55-60 days. This vegetables have appeared in the fall and winter. When raw, the taste of kohlrabi is about spicy but taste like a mixture of stems of broccoli and turnips. When cooked, kohlrabi tasted a bit sweet. Kohlrabi has a white, pale green, and purple but inside this vegetable has creamy white color. Health benefits of kohlrabi for human body have proven evidence, we could explore its benefits by its nutrients.
Kohlrabi: Less Calories, only 1% of daily value.
In 100 grams Kohlrabi contain 27.0 (113 kJ) calories, this only 1% of daily value. From Carbohydrate calories for 22.0 (92.1 kJ), From Fat 0.8 (3.3 kJ) and From Protein 4.1 (17.2kJ). So kohlrabi is very beneficial for the perfect diet.
- Kohlrabi is a perfect dietary vegetable. It is low in calories but high in fiber. Consuming kohlrabi give you full longer effect in your health but no effects for your weight.
- Lowering Cholesterol. Cholesterol levels are obtained from a variety of foods that contains fat will increase kolsterol in the blood. Kolhrabi low in fat but high in fiber.
Kohlrabi: high fiber (3.6g or 14% of daily value)
In 100 grams kolhrabi, Total Carbohydrate that contained is just about 6.2g or only 2% of daily value. However, the number of Dietary Fiber is 3.6g or up to 14% of daily value. It shows that kolhrabi very good for consumption and have benefits as follows:
- Lose weight. Fiber makes us feel full, so even if the volume of food that consumed is not too good, we resist the urge to snack between meals or overeating.
- Lower Risk of Heart Disease. Good digestion will make the body have an ideal weight. In other words, distancing themselves from the risk of obesity. So that the fiber will help lower the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Maintain Healthy Skin. Fiber has the ability to move various types of toxins, bacteria and fungi in the gastrointestinal system, including that trigger acne and dull skin.
- Prevent Hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are triggered by the process of defecation is not smooth and inflammation around the rectum. fiber consumption on a regular basis, would make the intestines work well to process food so that the process of defecation becomes more smoothly.
- Prevent Colorectal Polyps. Colon polyps diseases caused by intestinal inflammation triggered by different types of food in the intestine because they can’t get out into the feces. Inflammation that persists and doesn’t get treatment then it will be a polyp. Fiber prevents buildup of food in the intestines.
- Managing your blood sugar. Kohlrabi have low carbohydrate. Blood sugar levels in the breakdown of carbohydrates obtained from a process carried out by cells in the blood. fiber consumed on a regular basis that can lead to the absorption of nutrients by the body organs and blood cells to become better and there is no blunting of sugar in the blood. Normal blood sugar levels to help maintain our health and lower the risk of gallstones renal impairment.
Kolhrabi : Many Vitamin Content
In 100 grams kolhrabi, the content of vitamins are abundant. Vitamins are a group of organic compounds that small molecular weight amines have a vital function in the metabolism of every organism, which can not be produced by the body. Thus, vitamin absolutely must be supplied from our daily consumption. Some vitamins in kolhrabi are:
- Vitamin A 36.0 IU or 1% DV
- Vitamin C 62.0mg 103% DV
- Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 0.5 mg 2% DV
- Vitamin K 0.1mcg or 0% DV
- Thiamin 0.1mg or 3% DV
- Riboflavin 0.0mg or 1% DV
- Niacin 0.4mg or 2% DV
- Vitamin B6 0.2mg or 8% DV
- Folate 16.0mcg or 4% DV
To be able to grow and develop, the body needs at least 13 kinds of vitamins, namely vitamins A, C, D, E, K, and B (thiamine, riboflavin, niacin, pantothenic acid, biotin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, and folate).
There are two types of vitamins that are high contained in kolhrabi. It is vitamin C about 62.0mg and 0.2mg of Vitamin B6. Vitamin B6 is produced by bacterial digestion and partly absorbed through the intestinal wall. Consuming vitamin B6 will provide many benefits. By consuming Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine) can:
- Overcoming Anemia Disease (sideroblastic anemia), the disease is very rare.
- Addressing the seizure deficiency disease pyridoxine (vitamin B6)
- overcome and prevent the problem of high blood pressure,
- resolve and prevent kidney stone disease,
- prevent lung cancer,
- Abdominal pain and vomiting during pregnancy.
- Seborrheic dermatitis around the eyes, nose and mouth.
While Vitamin C is very important body. There are many benefits of vitamin C. Among them:
- For growth and development,
- help the healing process,
- enhance the immune system (helps prevent flu),
- Stimulate collagen synthesis,
- maintain skin elasticity,
- maintain healthy bones, teeth, muscles and tendons.
- Vitamin C also acts as an antioxidant and helps iron absorption in the intestine.
Kolhrabi: High Minerals Pottasium (About 350mg or 10% of the Daily Value)
In 100 grams of kolhrabi contains minerals (DV) as following:
- Calcium 24.0 mg or 2%
- Iron 0.4 mg or 2%
- Magnesium 19.0mg or 5%
- Phosphorus 46.0mg or 5%
- Potassium 350mg or 10%
- Sodium 20.0mg or 1%
- Copper 0.1mg or 6%
- Manganese 0.1mg or 7%
- Selenium 0.7mcg or 1%
Potassium are minerals that dissolve in the blood and other body fluids into ions. Potassium plays an important role in
- Transport of glucose into cells and waste disposal,
- stabilize blood pressure in the body,
- assist in the transmission of nerve impulses,
- The balance of heart rhythm and muscle function.
Deficiencies of these minerals can cause drowsiness, anxiety, nausea, weakness, and irregular heartbeat. So, Eating kohlrabi can help us to overcome that is all.
Kohlrabi contains goitrogens. Goitrogens almost found in all cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, broccoli, etc. These compounds can cause swelling of the thyroid gland and should be avoided by people with thyroid dysfunction.