Beef is incredibly rich in health benefits whey protein, and eating it is a delightful treat for meat lovers out there. Many agree that the treat gets even greater when the beef consumed is in the form of grilled meat – which also includes galbi! Galbi is Korean word for “rib”, and is sourced from short ribs, cut and sliced thin, marinated, and then grilled quickly.
The tender, high quality marbled beef, marinade and cooking method makes galbi to be a very ideal way to make use of this beef section for consumption. Besides, what are the health benefits of galbi?
What are its Health Benefits?
- Galbi is Very High in Protein
Galbi, or rather beef in general has protein as its main feature. A 10% fat beef should contain 26 grams of protein for a 100 grams serving. Protein contains amino acids which serve as the key to the body’s growth and maintenance.
- Galbi Has a Balanced Fat Content
Galbi has a balanced content of fat; in fact that is where the flavor comes from! Galbi, being a non-processed type of beef has moderately healthy fat for a proper amount of stored energy.
- Galbi is Full of Nutrients
There are various types of good nutrients found inside galbi beef, such as vitamin B6, vitamin B12, zinc oxide for skin, selenium, iron, niacin, as well as phosphorus.
- Galbi is Also Filled with Other Meat Compounds
On the other hand, galbi or beefs in general also contain compounds in the form of bioactive substances and antioxidants, such as creatine, taurine, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), and glutathione.
- Galbi Maintains Muscle Mass
Galbi contains all of the essential amino acids, or otherwise known as the complete protein. One primary function of it is to maintain muscle mass, because muscle masses may also decline due to age related factors.
- Galbi Improves Performance
Carnosine is a compound that contributes to muscle function. Regular consumption of beef can increase carnosine levels in muscles by 40-80%.
- Galbi Prevents Symptoms of Anemia
Anemia is a condition wherein there is a deficit in red blood cells which causes the reduced ability for the red blood cells to carry oxygen. Meats are high in iron, which also helps in increasing red blood cell count to prevent anemia.
Cautions & Recommendations
Many of the health risks of eating galbi is linked to overconsumption of beef. First things first, when cooking galbi, make sure that it is not overcooked. Excessive consumption of overcooked beef may lead to several types of cancer, such as colon cancer.
This excludes other possible factors such as unhealthy lifestyle, excessive meat and fat consumption, or low fruit, vegetable and fibre intake.
Next, iron is sure good for the supply of blood, but it doesn’t stop one from getting excess iron accumulation. Its most common cause is genetic factors, and it ends one up in life-threatening conditions such as cancer, liver disease or cardiovascular diseases.
How to Prepare Grilled Galbi
- 1 ounce of short ribs or flank steak
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large green benefits of onion for weight loss treatment
- ½ cup of low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- First, should you decide to use flank steak, slice it thinly and finely. Afterwards, set it aside. If you decide to use short ribs, you can skip this step.
- Whisk all the ingredients altogether and pour it into a ziplock bag.
- Before sealing it, add the meat, seal it, and move the contents around so that the marinade is well absorbed by the meat.
- Let it marinade for up to 24 hours.
- When done, you can grill it into your desired level of doneness.
- Finally, serve it with a hot bowl of rice, fresh vegetables, and Korean condiments like health benefits of kimchi. For the best taste, wrap it in lettuce before eating the meat pieces.