Is Dates Good For Diabetic Patient ? (# Expert Judges)
For Muslims, dates (palm fruits) is very popular for fasting. Therefore, dates are rich in nutrients that good to add to our daily intake. This fruits from East contains vitamin A, thiamine, vitamin B complex, folate, vitamin C, E, K, and minerals like calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc. Dates contain high fiber which almost fills half the daily intake requirement, as well as fat and cholesterol free.
With all of these nutrients, dates are very beneficial for health. However, the same advantage does not apply to diabetic patient. Because, dates contain a high sugar such as fructose, sucrose, and glucose. Even the form of the carbohydrate content in sugar content.
- A cup dates contains 415 calories, 110 grams of carbohydrates, and almost 95 grams of sugar. You need to know, 4 grams of sugar equals one teaspoon of sugar. That means, 95 grams is equal to 23 teaspoons of sugar!
- People with diabetes should eat dates, but in limited quantities. This should be strictly controlled; at most three fruit meal.
- Avoid mixing dates with other healthy foods are not good for diabetics, such as nuts or honey.
- diabetes sufferers actually better to eat fresh fruit and carbohydrate content of not more than 15 grams. Therefore, diabetics are advised to eat fresh fruit instead of dried fruits such as dates or raisins. With a record number should be limited.
What are the benefits of dates for diabetics?
1. Dates low Glycemic Index (about 45 per 3 seeds)
Generally, diabetics must very careful with the glycemic index, because high glycemic index foods are the main culprits increasing the sugar in the bloodstream. Experts the dates has a healthy glycemic index. Glycemic Index of fresh dates is quite varied depending on the kind of dates that you consume. Dates minimal degree of variation 35.5 49.7 maximum.
2. Non-fat and nutritious
Weight control in diabetic patients is equally important. They have to eliminate a lot of the usual snacks they consume. Dates is free of fat and cholesterol can be taken to control hunger. Many minerals contained in the dates are useful to protect the body from disease. These minerals are iron, zinc, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and copper. This mineral needed in small amounts, but if the body lacks the nutritional health condition may worsen. The content of zinc is also important to increase the insulin production. Meanwhile, sugar levels in the body is regulated by magnesium.
3. Dates Contain retinol (Vitamin A 9UI)
Vitamin A is protect the body from free radicals, improve vision, strengthen the immune system with other vitamin in the body, and increases the biological activity. Vitamin A as an antioxidant that reduces the risk of blindness in diabetics. It protect to long term effect of diabetes, such as blind.
4. Dates contain high Niacin and pyridoxin(Vitamin B3 1.134mg, Vitamin B6 0.147mg)
Vitamin B3 in the body has role the coenzyme formation, it is essential for the function of enzymes and normal carbohydrates, fats and proteins metabolism.. Researchers stated that neuropathy is triggered by abnormally high blood sugar levels, also have suggested that people with diabetes have vitamin B3 high levels. So, this vitamin is recommended for diabetic patient, to keep the early neuropathy. And Vitamin B6 with Magnesium helps the cells metabolism process.
5. Dates contains Vitamin C 0,4mg
The study states that when the level of vitamin C in the blood increases, the sorbitol level will decrease automatically. Sorbitol is a sugar if large numbers is dangers. In the case of people suffering from type 2 diabetes, increased vitamin C levels has important role in reducing their glucose. So, vitamin C is very important to be included in the list of Vitamin Diabetes.
6. Dates contain Glucose and Fructose
Diabetics typically seeks to eliminate carbohydrates from their diet in an effort to lower blood sugar levels. Rather than remove it, they can replace them with healthy carbohydrates. For example, if diabetics consume one hundred grams of dates, indirectly they consume seventy-five grams carbohydrates. Fructose, glucose and sucrose. All three of these substances play a role in providing instant energy. In various studies revealed that patients with diabetes can consume dates when they feel lethargic after work and wants her body powered again. They can consume eat one or two dates to get the benefits of dates in restoring their energy.
7. Dates contain Fiber (about 8gram in 100grams dates)
Fibrous foods have digestive function to launch. Eight grams of fiber in one hundred grams of dates. The study revealed that the soluble fiber was present in dates called Beta-D-glucan. This soluble fiber reduces the absorption of cholesterol by the body’s cells. Glucose is absorbed by the small intestine. It can be concluded that blood sugar levels do not rise if diabetics consume fresh dates within specified limits.
Nutrition Journal on May 28th, 2011 reported the results of the study that tested consume dates in diabetics. This study shows even dates contain high natural sugars, but the exact dates have a low glycemic index, and it can significantly improve blood sugar levels after eating. Of course, the dates should be no added by sugar
- There are no obvious side effects regarding the consumption of dates is too much. However, if the dates are consumed in large quantities and performed regularly, the risk of developing type 2 diabetes due to insulin resistance or diabetes may increase.
- diabetics should avoid consuming dates during fasting. This is due to the high content of sugars in the dates can actually trigger a rise in blood sugar levels.
- Dates are presented for diabetics is the date that is still fresh, because dates of this type have a low glycemic index (about 45 per 3 seeds). So it is still safe to eat as long as not excessive.
- Most doctors do allow diabetics to eat dates, with no record deal. The normal range is only 3 seeds per day. But not only that there are other records that must be considered.