Ledum is a bushy plant that grows to a height of about 1.5 meters. Ledum is also called Greenland Moss Essential Oil, Labrador Tea, Marsh Tea and Swamp Tea. Ledum essential oil is obtained from the process of steam leaf distillation and has a peppery and smoky aroma. The essential oil of the Ledum appears clear with color ranging from light yellow to light brown. Ledum oil has a tendency to dilute with a strong aroma of balsamic, woody and herbaceous.
Ledum essential oil comes from the plant Labrador tea or Ledum groenlandicum that has a habitat in North America. Between June and July, white Ledum flowers begin to bloom and produce a sweet scent.
Health benefits of Ledum essential oil!
For thousands of years, Ledum was used for medicinal purposes. The Ledum leaves are dried, mashed and boiled to make a therapeutic herb. This plant is used by Native Americans to launch bowel movements and eliminate body waste.
The extract of a Ledum plant helps decrease joint inflammation and calms muscle aches. Due to the detoxification properties and diuretic properties, Ledum is often consumed as a tea. While the Ledum oil has the ability to cure skin problems, fight depression and treat insomnia.
Listed below are the health benefits offered by Ledum essential oil.
- General benefits
This essential oil can be used to maintain kidney and liver health. Ledum oil is often used as a tonic for the liver that helps prevent hepatitis, liver dysfunction and the appearance of fatty deposits in the liver.
This essential oil can also help manage weight, prevent obesity and help ease water retention and edema. Ledum oil can be used also for clogged prostate, stomach discomfort, allergies, bronchitis, sore throat, flu and regulate the thyroid.
- Boost the immune system
Ledum essential oil is known to boost immunity, making the body stronger to fight disease.
- Against cancer and tumors
Ledum essential oil has anti-cancer components that make it effective against cancer and tumors. Therefore, Ledum oil can be used to treat certain cancers and also inhibits tumor formation. Read about Benefits of Aromatherapy for Cancer Patients.
- Maintain liver health
Ledum essential oil helps to detoxify the liver by removing harmful toxins and cleanse them from the liver. The liver that free of poisons will work well and be able to combat the risk of hepatitis.
- Maintain urinary tract health
Ledum oil is believed to be good for the urinary tract by making it always healthy while preventing infection. Another benefit, this essential oil helps remove toxins from the kidneys.
- Reduces lymph node inflammation
Ledum oil is an excellent anti-inflammatory agent. That’s why this essential oil can be used to treat inflammation of the lymph nodes.
- Have a calming effect on the mind
Like the Health Benefits of Rosemary Essential Oil, Ledum essential oil is known to have a calming effect on the nervous system thus helping to free the mind from anxiety. This essential oil promotes the overall well-being of the mind while helping to relieve insomnia. This oil works by affecting the limbic system (the brain’s emotional center) with the aromatic compounds of Ledum resulting in a feeling of peace and tranquility. Ledum essential oil is very useful in avoiding the Health Risks of Stress.
- Good for skin
Ledum oil has anti-bacterial properties, so it can be used effectively to treat skin infections such as edema. In addition, this essential oil will also make the skin look beautiful and always healthy. These benefits are the same as those owned by Health Benefits of Lavender Oil.
- Maintain the health of the respiratory system
Ledum essential oil is very useful in treating several respiratory diseases such as a runny nose, cough, fever, inflammation of the larynx, bronchitis etc.
- Helps in addiction treatment
One of the most important uses of Ledum essential oil is its ability to aid the treatment of certain types of addictions especially alcoholism.
- Useful against obesity
This essential oil is considered to help overcome obesity due to the nature of weight loss it has.
- It has anti-malarial properties
The sesquiterpenoid compounds present in this oil make the Ledum essential oil has antimalarial properties.
- Good for the digestive system
Compounds in Ledum essential oils are found useful in treating digestive system problems such as nausea stomach.
- Helps alleviate the side effects of chemotherapy
Ledum oil is known to help relieve vomiting and nausea due to the effects of chemotherapy.
- Relieve headaches
Ledum essential oil also acts as an analgesic so as to relieve headache complaints.
- Lose weight
Like the Benefits of Peppermint Oil, Ledum essential oil has beneficial stimulant properties to increase metabolism. Increased metabolism effect on increased passive fat burning and increased calorie burning. In addition, Ledum essential oil is beneficial in suppressing your appetite so you will not consume excessive food. Ledum essential oil also gives you the energy to run more active activities that help speed up the calorie burning process.
- Clean room
Ledum essential oil has antibacterial and detoxifying properties that are useful in neutralizing pathogens effectively and improving the hygiene of your home. Because it has a delicate but pleasant aroma, Ledum essential oil is perfect for you to spread to the room.
One of the health benefits of Ledum essential oil is improving relaxation and tranquility. Through these benefits, you will experience the benefits of Ledum essential oil for the nervous system, cleansing the mind, and improves focus and concentration.
Anti-inflammatory properties, warming properties, and stimulants that can improve skin health and soothe muscle tension make Ledum oil suitable for massage oils.
- Rub Chest
To smooth the respiratory system, some people rub the Ledum oil on the chest before sleep. Aromatic compounds in Ledum oil can help relieve congestion in the respiratory tract and promote deep sleep.
How to Use Ledum Essential Oil!
- Apply Ledum oil that has been diluted with the carrier oil to your feet and neck or throat area to boost your immune system during illness.
- For urinary tract health and kidney health, apply a diluted Ledum of oil to the abdomen and waist area to relieve the disorder and improve kidney health.
- Ledum oil can also be used in the same way to soothe abdominal pain and digestive disorders associated with the nerves.
- Fused into the room using a diffuser during cold and flu season to boost the immune system.
- If you have had the flu, the steam of the Ledum oil that is diffused into the room will speed up the healing process.
- Essential Ledum can also be used to relieve nasal congestion, thin the sputum, soothe a cough, and improve the functioning of the respiratory system.
Side Effects of Ledum Essential Oil!
Ledum essential oil is generally considered safe when used externally by most adults.
- People with sensitive skin can experience skin rashes when using this essential oil.
- That’s why to dilute the Ledum oil using the carrier oil and apply on the small skin first to see the reaction.
- Never swallow the Ledum oil without the approval of your doctor or professional aromatherapist.
- Women who are pregnant and breastfeeding or people who are taking medication are advised to consult a doctor first before using the Ledum essential oil.
Those are the health benefits of Ledum essential oil. Follow the instructions on how to use it and feel the benefits!