Do you know Mexican food, such as tortilla and tacos? Those are common Mexican food that you usually hear. How about gordita? Have you ever heard about it? It is one of healthy Mexican food that you must try. It is a pastry consists of masa (dough that is used to make corn tortilla) filled with cheese, meat or other vegetables. This kind of food can be enjoyed either as breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is best enjoyed while it is hot.
Gordita hastwo ways of serving, one of which is being baked in a regular comal and anotheris fried in a deep-wok-shaped comal. Gordita is commonly known as thicktortilla as the flour used to make both is similar, but gordita could use wheatflour as well.
You may start wondering whether gordita is recommended as healthy food. The answer is it is healthy. Let’s see what nutrition you can find in gordita, how to make a healthy version of gordita and some cautions of consuming gordita.
Health benefits of gordita
Gordita is a good and healthy meal to be consumed. There are some reasons why you must put gordita in your diet list starting from now on.
Promoting weight loss
Jalapenos have capsaicin and capsaicinoids that are very beneficial for boosting metabolism. As a result, it is vert helpful to lose some weight. Moreover, consuming jalapenos in your gordita reduce fat in your abdominal area and lessen your appetite so you will not consume more calories.
Masa flour as one of the sources of carbohydrate is very good as it is gluten free. It is very good for people suffering from diabetes. Besides, by consuming gluten-free carbohydrate, you will not get hungry easily anymore.
Rich in vitamins
Most of the ingredients in gordita are rich in vitamins, so that is why gordita itself provides you with a lot of vitamins, such as vitamin A, B and C.
How nutritious is gordita?
For oneserving of gordita, you can find:
- 12g of fats
- 0mg of cholesterol
- 270mg of sodium
- 30g of carbohydrates
- 7g of protein
- 4%of vitamin A
- 26mg of vitamin C
- 60mg of calcium
- 12mg of iron
- 505mg of potassium
- 70mcg of folate
Gordita is considered as a good food for your health as it does not contain any cholesterol and low in calories. Moreover, it is very good for weight loss. You may read 7 True Health Benefits of Rice Noodles and Parsley Leaves Benefits for Weight Loss Might Surprise You!.
How to make a healthy version of gordita?
You may hear that gordita is considered as junkfood as it is fried, but surprisingly, you can make the healthy version ofgordita at home. It is easier, cheaper and healthier, of course! Let’s checkthe following recipe of Jalapenos and Beans Gordita.
To make Jalapenos and Beans Gordita, you willneed:
- 1cup of dried masa flour
- 2fresh and ripe avocadoes, peeled and divided
- ¼tsp. of salt
- 2tsp. of chia seeds
- 2tsp. of ground flaxseed
- ½tsp. of baking powder
- ½cup of water
- ½tsp. of oil
- 2jalapeno peppers (diced)
- ¼onion (diced)
- 1clove of garlic (minced)
- 115-oz can beans (drained)
- ½cup of water
- ½lime (juiced)
How to make it:
- Heat oil on the skillet over mediumheat. Put onions and garlic and saute them for around 1 to 2 minutes. Put somebeans and saute for around 3 minutes.
- Continue cooking and add ½ cup ofwater gradually to mash the beans until they are thickened.
- Mash ½ avocado in a bowl by usingfork and add some salt into it. Add dried corn masa, chia seeds, groundflaxseed, baking powder and mix them well with fork. Add water gradually (about½ cup of water) so that you can have consistent dough. Make a ball by usingyour hand. Divide them into 6 smaller balls.
- Pat each ball with hand into atortilla size. Use plastic wrap to form round shape and make sure you make themrounded evenly.
- Mash the other half of avocado and squeezesome lime juice and set them aside.
- Heat the skillet over medium heatand toast one gordita at one time for around 3 minutes. Do it on the othersides as well. Press it down to make sure it is cooked well.
- Remove gordita from heat and splitthe middle to make an opening. Then, fill it with mashed avocado and beans.Enjoy it while it is still hot!
Gordita isa very good meal to feed your hunger. However, there are some cautions you needto pay attention to make gordita healthier for your body. Here are some thingsthat you can put into consideration before making gordita.
- Usecorn flour instead of wheat flour as it is gluten-free. So, it is good for yourdiet and safe for people suffering from diabetes.
- Donot saute the vegetables for too long because it will just make it oily. Usingdry vegetables will be better.
- Usemeat, chicken or fish that is grilled instead of fried. It will reduce theamount of fats.
After reading all the information about gordita, would you still doubt of consuming it? I hope not. Why should you doubt to consume food that gives you a lot of health benefits? Go grab some masa flour and start making your healthy version of gordita. Provecho (have a nice meal)!