Burritos, along with tacos, nachos, fajitas, and quesadillas make up the five most recognized Mexican dishes. They compose of minced meat and vegetables wrapped in wheat tortilla in the shape of a roll. Needless to say, it tastes great!
And then, the presence of proteins, vitamins minerals in carbohydrates inside makes it seem to be an ideal all-in-one dish. Burritos are equally delicious whether it is eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner, especially with beans. Despite its popularity, not many are aware of its advantages. What are the health benefits of burritos and beans?
What are its Health Benefits?
- Burritos Contain Protein
First, burritos contain protein, whether or not they have meat or beans as their filling. A 100 g burrito has 6 grams of protein, which is equivalent to 12% of the recommended daily value.
- Burritos Have Decent Carbohydrate Content
A 100-gram burrito contains 33 grams of carbohydrate, which is equals to 11% of the recommended daily value and also 206 calories, which is of course an ideal source of stored energy.
- Burritos are also Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
Many types of fruits and vegetables, such as lettuces, onions, garlic, avocados and chilli can be used as burritos’ fillings, which are none other than being a source of vitamins and minerals. All in all, they provide vitamins A, B, C and D to the body.
- Burritos are Examples of Well-Balanced Dishes
Burritos are examples of well-balanced dishes because they contain the necessary nutrients the body needs; which are protein, vitamins, minerals, and carbohydrates all in one serving. And of course, they are very filling too!
- Beans Possess Dense Nutrients
Beans possess dense nutrients, one of them being folate. Folate helps to prevent neural tube defects in fetuses during pregnancy. Lack of folate may lead to everyday issues like weaknesses, fatigue, lack of appetite, and irritability. Other than that, beans also contain fibre, zinc, iron and magnesium.
- Beans are Antioxidants
Beans contain a type of antioxidant named polyphenol, in which its uses are linked to digestive related functions.
- Beans for Heart Health and Cancer Prevention
Beans are good for heart health and cancer prevention because of its low-cholesterol nature and antioxidant plus anti-inflammatory properties respectively.
- Beans for Diabetes Management
Finally, beans are useful for diabetes management because they are high in fibre that helps the reduction of blood glucose levels.
How to Make Vegetarian Bean and Rice Burritos
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 benefits of lime for uric acid, juiced
- 2 tablespoons of fresh cilantro
- ½ of benefits of onions for weight loss treatment, diced
- 3-4 cloves of benefits of garlic for asthma treatment, minced
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 can of health benefits of Heinz beans
- 1 tablespoon of chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce
- Some health benefits of sea salt
- First, gather all ingredients.
- Next, toss together the chopped cilantro pieces with the rice, and add a tinge of lime juice afterwards.
- And then, heat the bowl of rice, and stir.
- Separately, using a skillet or pan, sautee the onions and garlic in vegetable oil for 2 to 3 minutes until the onion gets soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and add the beans inside. Don’t forget to season it with chilli, cumin, and hot sauce. Stir evenly. Salt may be added based on preference, but not too much since it may ruin the overall taste!
- Allow the beans to cook for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the warm tortillas ready, and pour the beans and rice on it one at a time in layers.
- Wrap each tortilla layer slowly, and vegetarian bean and rice burrito is now ready to be served!
- One can also use cheese, guacamole, salsa sauce, black olive or sour cream for condiments!