Tej patta is actually bay leaf in Hindi. Also known as tezpatta in Punjabi, tej patha in Bengali, tamal patra in Marathi, and tamal patr in Gujarati. It is an aromatic leaf that is native to the Mediterranean area and is commonly used as a cooking ingredient as well as for perfumes.
Tej patta is very sharp and pungent as for flavor wise, it tastes rather bitter. Because of the bitter taste, tej patta thus can not be consumed directly. Beside of it, they are also good to repel moths, mice, mice, etc.
Here are the nutrient values of tej patta before we learn about the benefits of tej patta for weight loss:
- Vitamin A
100 grams serving of tej patta can serve you about 206% or 6185 IU (International Units) of the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) of this vitamin. Vitamin A in tej patta can play a role as a natural antioxidant and to help maintain the mucus membranes, skin health as well as eyes health.
- Vitamin C
100 grams of fresh the patta can provide you up to about 46.5 milligrams of vitamin C which equivalent to 77.5% of recommended daily intake. This vitamin that’s also known as ascorbic acid can help remove free radicals from your body and boosts the immune system.
- Volatile oils
The components of this oil contains anti-cancer, antioxidant, and antiseptic properties. The volatile active components in these leaves includes β-pinene, gernyl acetate p-cymene, myrcene, linalool, methyl chavicol, α-pinene, α-terpineol, neral, eugenol, chavicol, dan limonene.
Potassium as one of the minerals contained in tej patta can help to control the heart rate and blood pressure as well as playing an important role on the body fluids and cell. Iron is important for the development of red blood cell and a co-factor of cytochrome oxidase eznymes.
While copper and manganese on the other hand plays as a co-factor for superoxide dismutase and antioxidant enzyme. It is also rich of selenium, magnesium, zinc and calcium. This is one of the health benefits of forever nature min that you may grab!
- Folic acid
This component is important for peri-conception period to prevent neural tube defects in baby as well as DNA synthesis. A hundred gram of tej patta can serve about 45% or 180 milligrams of recommended dietary allowance of these leaves. Here are some health benefits of folic acids that you need to know.
- Other vitamins
Other vitamins included in these leaves includes pantothenic, pyridoxine, riboflavin, and niacin.
Now let’s jump right over to the benefits of tej patta for weight loss:
- Good for Digestion
Tej patta can help to treat digestive problems such as flatulence and heartburn. You can also treat other digestive problems such as irregular bowel movements, constipation and acid reflux by drinking the concoction of tej patta poured into hot water.
- Boost Your Appetite
You may loss your appetite if you’re suffering from some certain kind of illness. The tej patta then can help to stimulate your appetite, making your body healthy again by eating properly. Do you know that one of the health benefits of calamus root is also to boost your appetite?
- Treat Indigestion and Bloating
If you happen to have these problems, you can try drinking a mixture of 5 grams of tej patta and a piece of ginger boiled in 200 mil of water until it boiled down to only a quarter of it. This can help you to ease out the bloating and indigestion in your system. You can also try by adding some honey and consume this twice a day regularly for better relief.
- Treat Respiratory Problems
You can eliminate harmful bacteria and loosen up the phlegm that may be trapped in your respiratory tracts by using tej patta as it is also known to have the natural antibacterial properties. You can gain this one of the benefits of tej patta by mixing the extracted essential oil of tej patta with salve and apply it to your chest. You can also try by turning the leaves into poultice. Here are some benefits of exercise for circulatory and respiratory system.[AdSense-C]
- Dietary Menu
Tej patta have a lot of enzymes in it that can help to breakdown proteins. This quality of tej patta thus making it a great choice for you who wants to lose weight through a non-vegetarian diet. One of the ways to get the benefit of tej patta for weight loss is by mixing it with cinnamon since the combination of these two ingredients it can affect your digestive system and help lose unwanted fats quickly.
There are many other recipes of tej patta for losing weight that you can follow and this is one of the recipes that can help reduce your waistline.
What to prepare:
- 3 tej patta leaves
- 1 tablespoon of green tea
- 1 stick of cinnamon
How to make it:
- Pour together all of the ingredients into a boiling water.
- Let the water infused for about 10-15 minutes
- Filter the water afterwards
- Voila! Enjoy it and see how your waistline will be reduced.
You can drink this mixture for three time a day; a cup in the morning, a cup after breakfast and a cup before heading to bed. Do this regularly and see the result!
However, there are some allergies and side effects that you may get from these leaves. Here are the cautions you need to take note of:
- The consumption of tej patta into your system may cause an interference for the blood sugar control. Thus, you need to monitor your blood sugar very closely, especially if you suffer from diabetes and is using medicines that contains tej patta leaves in it.
- Tej patta may also cause the slow down of CNS (central nervous system), especially when it is combined with anesthesia and other medications that are used during or after the surgery. Therefore, it is very advisable not to consume any medicines containing tej patta for at least two weeks before a scheduled surgery. If you ever face a problem with the CNS, know that one of the health benefits of muira puama is good for nervous system tonic.
- Tej patta leaves and oils are safe indeed for people when used in foods. But consuming a whole, intact tej patta leaves is considered harmful as it can’t be digested. If this happens, the leaves will just remain intact while passing through the digestive system, which is not a good sign since it can clog the throat or even pierce the lining of your intestines.
This concludes all of the information you need about tej patta. As you may notice, a lot of the benefits of tej patta are very good for weight loss, thus we recommend you to incorporate these leaves into your diet menu. However, do take notes of the cautions we’ve warn you above. We wish you the best of luck for your weight-losing journey!