Ice skating is a sport game on ice using skating shoes. Sharp of knife from steel in the bottom of the shoes make samebody can surf because the friction on the sharp of knife steel with the surface of the ice and creates a slippery coating. Ice skating can be done in an indoor, outdoor, or on a river or lake arena that freezes during the winter. Ice skating done as sports or winter sports. The word ‘Skate’ was taken from the German language, ‘Schalke’ that means the shin.
In the countries with winter, the surfacing is done in the lakes, ponds, canals and rivers that freeze sometimes. A layer of ice formed on the water surface, thick enough to wear skate. In the winter in the Netherlands, Finland, Sweden, Russia, and Norway, people traveling from one place to another with the skate. In countries with warmer climates, people skating on the ice skating rink. Ice skating ability is a basic skill for ice hockey, speed skating, figure skating and ice dancing. All are sports that competed in the Winter Olympics.
Ice Skating History
You probably never thought before it, that the reindeer or horse bones were tied under the leather shoes is the first form of the skating shoes. People use skating boots from bones to hunt in Finland and Scandinavian fjord since 17th centuries ago. Perforated animal leg bone, and tied with a leather belt to wear shoes. The Dutch began to wear skating shoes from wood with a base from iron in the . 14th century. A stick held by people as tools while surfing. Around the year 1500, the Dutch start putting up a knife on the skating shoes and sticks no needed.
In the 12th century, the Dutch was elaborate canal system. Workers canal use skating shoes to work and commute to the work place. Some of them play racing skating to win money. Skating shoes with steel clamps created E. V. Bushnell from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at 1848. And at 1865, the US athletes skating Jackson Haines introduces skating blade of the following metal plate soles and heels can be screwed onto the boots. Haines added toe pick on the skating shoes. After the toe pick on the skating shoes, people can begin to make the leap toe pick.
The First ice Skating arena is Glaciarium in the UK who use the ice maker. Arena was opened January 7, 1876 by John Gamgee in a tent in a small building in Chelsea, London. User time were limited to royalty and only certain people. At 1879, an ice skating competition organized on a large scale for the first time by the ice skating association in the United Kingdom. Then at 1914, John E. Strauss made a skating blade from blade steel. With the steel blade from Strauss, skating shoes more lightweight and powerful.
Benefits of ice skating
To play ice skating we must balancing the body when standing, walking, and even glide in the ice ring. Therefore, ice skating has its own benefits. From some of the benefits to be gained when playing ice skating, among others:
1) Keeps The Body Slim
A study in Switzerland states that women who routinely ice skating has a more slender body shape than those who never play. It caused by ice skating sports two times better than the fitness and aerobics. The correlation may be due to a cold ice-skating so easy to lose weight.
2) Anaerobic benefits
Ice skating provides anaerobic benefits, such as strengthening the muscles. Lower body muscles receive effective training, with special emphasis on, shins calves, glutes, hamstrings, hips and thighs, including the quadriceps, abductors, adductors. skating ice useful also for the upper body, lower back, abdomen and extensors. Even the shoulder and upper arm muscles get a workout from a quick arm swing.
3) Body balancing
The important benefits of ice skating is for body balancing. To play ice skating you should be able to train the body balancing. So the game will force you, how to balancing the body on the ice arena. In other words, the game ice skating helpful to train your body balancing.
ice skating requires agility and the ability to balance on a single foot, the forward movement requires skaters to more develop coordination. ice skating also improves joint flexibility and strength, which in turn steady motion, making it easier to work out.
4) Sensor Motor Assist
Ice skating for children will help the motor sensors developing. This is because each movement does to maintain balance during ice skating, it will help improve the child’s motor sensors. So that if the child is able to balancing himself on the ice ring, then the motor sensor developing more better.
Growth and development in children motor sensor can be maximized by providing the stimulation that is good, true and correct. The provision of sensory stimulation in children is a good stimulation that makes it easy for children to process stimuli reception.
5) Walking strengthens
Position sport that tends to bend the foot, making us become stronger knees. Ice skating is a sport that relies on foot. our ability to glide on the ice, is determined by the feet and balance the body. then the ice skating sports can strengthen the foot because this sport teach to focus on the legs while sliding.
6) Refreshing and Recreation
In Indonesia, ice skating didn’t become a much-loved sport, then the game will be an ice skating refreshing and recreation that can be done with friends and family. As a means of refreshing because this game is a very fun game, especially when done in a gang, like with friends and family. As a means of recreation for the game is still relatively rare in Indonesia, where only in the capital, Jakarta.
7) Improve The Quality Of Sleep
Why? Because when the ice skating the body will experience fatigue. This is the effect of playing any sport. although sometimes do not feel tired, go ice skating definitely exhausting. No wonder that after doing this exercise, we will feel tired and sleep more soundly.
8) Exercising Caution
In keeping balance while ice skating, indirectly you also strive to always be careful so as not to fall when standing, walking, even using skates glide over the surface slippery ice ring. So that the ice skating also train prudence, namely to maintain in order to remain balanced to keep from falling.
9) Heart healthy
As an aerobic activity, ice skating can improve blood flow and oxygen throughout the body. This is helpful to our vital organs, including heart health. skating ice helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, such as high blood pressure, heart attack, and stroke.
Security of ice skating
Security of ice skating sports games affected by three factors:
- offensiveness ice,
- the design of the skate is used, and
- expertise and experience of skaters in skating.
Serious injury while playing ice skating is very rare, but the pain and brief paralysis often occurs when a player falls on the ice. Fall while doing ice skating can be fatal if the affected body part is a clash of heads. Therefore, it is recommended to wear protective headgear while doing sports on this one.
- If you have never been ice skating before or have medical conditions such as osteoporosis, arthritis, diabetes, you should first consult a doctor before playing ice skating with the intention to improve fitness.
- Always check the condition of the skating shoes before wearing. Make sure nothing is worn out and always wear safety equipment, namely helmets, also elbow and knee protectors.
Ice skating tips
The following tips for increased flexibility exercises to strength the muscles and joints in the body of the middle and lower:
- Flexibility, As an introduction, you can do it lying down while stretching both hands. Then bend both legs and lay right beside you alternately position, on the left or right for 10 beats in each respective side.
- Kneeling Upper Lip & Quad Stretch. You do this by kneeling on one knee and other knee shore up the balance you. Do it for 10 counts on each side.
- Standing Toe-up Achilles Stretch. In order to not rigid or dislocated when moved, as well as to avoid cramps. Step on and hold for 10 seconds on each foot.
- Standing side bend. How to tighten his palms together above the head in a straight right. Then tilt left and right so that the muscles along the side of the shoulder and arm can move elastically. Especially when swinging the leg should be in tune with the movement of the hand.
- Straddle Sit. Expand both feet wide (spilled), then raise your arms straight up your hand. Furthermore your body forward and hold for a moment for 10 seconds.
- Alternating Leg Rowing
- To initiate core, you can simply lie down on the mat, then lift one leg by alternately. Take turns as much as 10 times on each leg.
- HIP Rolls. As an initial stance, bend your legs into the air upward. Then play / lower toward the left side, then pull back to the middle and lower back in the opposite direction, that is right. Do as much as 10 reps.
- For starters the one hand and lift up your legs alternating, then hold for a moment and then lower back and foot switch on the side of the next hand. If you lift your right hand to left hand should you lift so the next. Do alternately and alternating as many as 10 reps.