12 Amazing Health Benefits of Curry Leaves (No.1 Potent)
For us who lived in tropical or subtropical countries, Curry leaves is not a strange trees anymore. Curry leaves is a plant belonging to the family of Rutaceae, that live in a tropical or subtropical whether. The leaves are often used as a spice specialties in India, Srilanka, or neighbouring countries. In Indonesia, curry leaves are known as spice dishes typical of Sumatra, especially in Aceh. Curry leaves was first discovered in the region of Uttar Pradesh, India. And now it is widespread in all parts of India, and the countries near it. Then these plants also cultivated in Sri Lanka, China, Australia, Pacific continent and also distributed to the countries of South Asia.
From this article you will know about:
- Curry Leaves Morphology and Classification
- Chemical and Nutrition Facts of curry leaves
- Health benefits of Curry leaves: As a Prevention, As A Treatment and beauty
- Recommended dose of Curry leaves
- How To Consume Curry Leaves
Curry leaves is a shrub or small tree with a height of + 0.8 to 4 meters (13–20 feet) tall, and a diameter of trunk up to 40 cm +(16 in). Usually it has 11–21 leaflets, each leaflet 2–4 cm long and 1–2 cm broad. The plant produces small white flowers in groups and have a sweet aroma with fruit-shaped grains are purple or blackish. It also can self-pollinate to produce small shiny-black berries containing a single, large viable seed. The leaves are pinnate, smaller and glossy dark green.
- Kingdom: Plantae
- Division: Spermatophyta
- Sub Division: Angiospermae
- Class: Dicotyledoneae
- Order: Rutales
- Familia: Rutaceae
- Genus: Murraya
- Species: Murraya koenigii (L.) Spreng
Curry leaves containing 0.12% of oil. The main content of essential oil on curry leaves are caryophyllen and α-humulen. Additionally, other components contained in the essential oil of Curry leaves is linalool, β-selinen, β-elements, cubenol, phytol, α-selinen, β-terpineol, α-kopaen, aromadendrene, naphthalene, δ-cadinen, and sphatulenol. While for nutritional content, curry leaves as much as 100 grams contains:
- Calories 325 (1361 kJ) or 16% DV From Carbohydrate 170 (712 kJ), From Fat 116 (486 kJ), From Protein 39.5 (165 kJ).
- Total Carbohydrate 58.1g or 19% from Dietary Fiber 33.2g or 133% DV, from Sugars 2.8g
- Total Fat 13.8g or 21% DV, from Saturated Fat 2.2g or DV 11% DV, from Monounsaturated Fat 5.6g, from Polyunsaturated Fat 2.6, from Total Omega-3 fatty acids 429mg, from Total Omega-6 fatty acids 2120mg.
- Protein 12.7g or 25% DV
- Vitamin such as Vitamin A 986IU or 20% DV, Vitamin C 11.4 mg or 19% DV, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 22.0mg or 110% DV, Vitamin K 99.8mcg or 125% DV, Thiamin 0.3mg or 17% DV, Riboflavin 0.3mg or 17% DV, Niacin 3.5mg or 17% DV, Vitamin B6 1.2mg or 58% DV, Folate 154 mcg or 39% DV, Choline 64.2mg, Betaine 28.8mg
- Mineral such as Calcium 478mg or 48% DV, Iron 29.6mg or 164% DV, Magnesium 254mg or 64% DV, Phosphorus 349mg or 35% DV, Potassium 1543mg or 44% DV, Sodium 52.0mg or 2% DV, Zinc 4.1mg or 27% DV, Copper 0.8mg or 41% DV, Manganese 4.3mg or 214% DV, Selenium 17.1mcg or 24% DV,
- Phytosterols 72.0mg
- Water 9.5g
- Ash 5.6g
Curry leaves have a high efficacy of herbal and very widely used in Ayurvedic medicine in India. Curry leaves have value as an antioxidant, anti-diabetic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, hepatoprotective, anti-hypercholesterolemia and others. Some people said that curry leaves also good for treating long and healthy hair. Apart from that the curry leaves can also prevent gray hair. Skin regeneration, leaves and roots of curry leaves are used as a tonic. Young shoots are usually used fresh vegetables.
Below are health benefits of Curry leaves: As a Prevention, As a Treatment and beauty :
1. Diarrhea and hemorrhoids treatments.
Curry leaves is good remedy for diarrhea. Carbazole alkaloids in the curry leaves contains anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. As anti bacterial, curry leaves can treat diarrhea by consume curry leaves extract in powder form. It also may be used as a laxative to overcome the constipation problem.
Curry leaves juice with honey also can be an antidote to diarrhea and hemorrhoids. Drinking boiled water of the leaves, roots, bark, stems and flowers curry. It would relieve all disturbances in the stomach.
2. Curing Anemia
Causes of Anemia is not only because our body is in iron deficiency condition,but also the inability to absorb and use iron efficiently. Besides rich in iron (Iron 29.6mg or 164% DV), Curry leaves also contain folic acid (Folate 154 mcg or 39% DV). Folic acid is important role to the bone. Eating curry leaves two leaves a day can be treat of anemia.
3. Minimize the side effects of chemotherapy.
Chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment has become inevitable for cancer can cause other effects. Some of the effect of Chemotherapy and radiotherapy treatment such as strees, hair fall, and other. But, the side effects can be minimized with consume the curry leaves regularly.
It can protect your body from the adverse effects of treatment. Intake curry leaves to protect chromosomes, the bone marrow and prevent the free radical production that can cause more damage to the body.
4. Cure skin infections.
Curry leaves have an anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory. Therefore, the curry leaves benefits can also be used as a great remedy for infections and fungal skin problems, such as acne and the nail. This is because Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 22.0 mg or 110% DV of curry leaves.
5. Queasiness and dizziness.
Fresh curry leaves juice with lemon or limes is used to overcome the problem of queasiness and dizziness mainly due to reduce excess fat. If you want, you can do it by mixing one teaspoon of curry leaves juice and one teaspoon of lemon juice or limes.
Curry leaves also can impressive in dealing with menstrual problems and disease gonorrhea, relieving queasiness and dizziness flies for pregnant women.
6. Blood circulation.
Essensial of Curry leaves is overcoming the menstruation problems and gonorrhea, relieve aches and dizziness, diarrhea and bloody stools disease. Besides the benefits and efficacy of curry leaves is also good for blood circulation.
7. Eye health.
Vitamin A in curry leaves about 986IU or 20% DV, the function of this vitamin that contains carotenoids is protect the risk of cornea demage. Vitamin A deficiency can cause disorders of the eye including night blindness, loss of vision and cloud formation.
8. Lowering LDL cholesterol.
LDL or bad cholesterol can be low by consuming curry leaves. Studies showed that antioxidants and hence of the curry leaves can prevent the oxidation of cholesterol. It means the formation of LDL or bad cholesterol in the body can be minimized to a great extent. Instead, curry leaves helps increase the production of HDL good cholesterol to prevent atherosclerosis and heart disease.
9. Protect the liver.
Curry leaves can protect you from liver damage. Camprefol in curry leaves, with Vitamin A and Vitamin C these nutrients help stimulate the liver to function smoothly.
10. Strengthen hair.
Hair various problems such as thinning hair, graying and other problem often happed on hair men and women. curry leaves help that can repel even ability dandruff. You can also consume leaves or apply on the scalp to strengthen the hair shaft.
11. Good for digestive system.
Already since immemorial time, the benefits of curry leaves known to facilitate digestion. This leaves helps in proper absorption in fat and thus also help you lose weight in obese people.
12. For diabetes.
If your family has a hereditary problems of diabetes try to eat the curry leaves for 3 months without cooking or boiling them, create as fresh vegetables. The water decoction of dried bark can also be used to treat diabetes.
There is no recommended dose to use it as a spice dish, but you can add it into your food as much as you like to taste. Usually it was two leaves for a saucepan soup, but it doesn’t an amount of conversion. So, you could add it or ease it as much as you want to.
How To Consume Curry Leaves
- To eliminate sluggish for pregnant women, combine the curry leaf juice mixture and two teaspoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of sugar lime.
- To relieve constipation, soak with boiling water. Then mix curry leaves with honey before drinking.
- If bitten by a snake, drink a mixture of curry leaves that has been mixed with the raw turmeric and This is the first step while before the patient was taken to the hospital.
- Eating curry leaves are raw to tackle diarrhea.
- Drinking boiled water of the leaves, roots, bark, stems and flowers curry. It would relieve all disturbances in the stomach.
- Make tea from the dried curry leaves and drink the water. Usefulness can increase appetite and reduce vomiting.
- For childhood abdominal pain, drink a mixture of curry leaf juice.
- Mix one tablespoon of coconut oil with a handful of curry Cook it till it turning into burned form. Then use it as a hair tonic to darken hair and prevent gray hair.