Snake gourd is a vegetable that might not be as famous as bitter melon. It called snake gourd/snake fruit shape because it is very unique with it is shaped like an eel elongated length between 40 and 120 cm and a diameter of between 5 cm to 8 cm. This plant’s scientific name is Trichosanthus cucumerina L. var anguina, included in the family or the family Cucurbitaceae or cucumber and squash family.
Snake gourd probably not the kind of vegetables that famous all over the world, but certain cultures have utilized a variety of unique food for hundreds, and perhaps thousands years.It is a vine that climbs trees and then unfurls flowers and fruits to hang to the ground. Some of the biggest specimens can grow up to five feet long, which is why snake gourd is often used to make the traditional Australian instrument, the didgeridoo. The caracteristic of this plant is:
- Skin / surface brindle-colored fruit, which is whitish green striped lengthwise
- Fruit elliptical, can reach up to 150 cm
- The taste of fruit flesh is not bitter, but as tasty as a vegetable.
Nutrition Facts of Snake Gourd
Servings Per Recipe: 6 Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories 86.2,
- Total Fat 3.9 g, Saturated Fat 0.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5 g, and Monounsaturated Fat 1.6 g
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g, Dietary Fiber 0.6 g, Sugars 0.5 g
- Pantothenic Acid 3.0%
- Vitamin B12 0.0%
- Vitamin B6 11.3%
- Vitamin C, 30.5%
- Vitamin D 0.0%
- Vitamin E 1.1%
- Calcium 5.1%
- Copper 4.4%
- Folate 5.6%
- Riboflavin 2.7%
- Selenium 3.1%
- Thiamin 5.2%
- Sodium 33.0 mg
- Potassium 359.1 mg
- Iron 5.7%
- Magnesium 6.7%
- Manganese 12.5%
- Niacin 3.8%
- Phosphorus 5.0%
- Zinc 7.2%
- Protein 2.0 g
- Vitamin A 9.8%
Health benefits from Nutrition facts
Snake Gourd contains a variety of nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that are essential to human health, including significant levels of dietary fiber, a small amount of calories, and high levels of protein. In terms of vitamins, snake gourd has vitamins A, B, C, and manganese, magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium and iodine. So from these nutrients, snake gourd has its benefits:
Snake gourd has a very high water content and serves as a cooling body
- For substances of high water, snake gourd is low in calories, fat, and beneficial to the diet
- Snake gourd contains a lot of fiber which can help to keep your digestion. Fiber also good for diabetes.
- The snake gourd is a good source of minerals such as magnesium, calcium, and phosphorus.
- Snake gourd help to facilitate the production of body fluids, it is important for eliminating dehydration.
- The juice of fresh leaves of snake gourd is useful for people with heart disease such as palpitations and pain in the heart.
- Snake gourd’s root can be used as a tonic and laxative. While the snake gourd juice is a strong laxative, a combination of dried fruit would be a mild laxative to help digestion. Snake gourd leaves help as a purgative and emetic in children.
- snake gourd leaves juice is very helpful in treating alopecia, a disease of the scalp resulting in partial or total baldness.
- snake gourd vegetables are very low in calories, with only provides 17 calories per 100g. However, it ontain phytonutrients, minerals, vitamins, fiber, and anti-oxidants, it provide health benefits for the body.
- Particularly phyto polypeptide-P is known as insulin plant to lower blood sugar levels. Besides the hypoglycemic agent called charantin increase glucose and glycogen synthesis in cells of the liver, muscle and adipose tissue.
- Snake gourd fresh is an excellent source of folate 5.6 of the RDA. Folate, when consumed by mothers during early pregnancy will help to reduce the incidence of neural tube defects in newborns.
- Fresh snake gourd is an excellent source of vitamin C (snake gourd raw provide 30.5% of RDI). Benefits of Vitamin C is a powerful natural antioxidant and helps to bind free radicals that damage the human body.
- Vitamin B Complex – In addition, the snake gourd is a moderate source of B-complex vitamins such as vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, and minerals such as zinc, potassium, iron, manganese and magnesium.
Snake ground health Benefits
- Maintaining a healthy heart. The heart is a very important organ in the body that must be maintained health. One way to maintain cardiovascular health is with eating snake gourd. Snake gourd can reduce bad cholesterol in the blood that can block the arteries in the heart. In traditional medicine, snake gourd is often used to reduce heart palpitations and ease the nervous system to induce blood pressure. This is probably due to the potassium in vegetables, which acts as a vasodilator and reduces stress on the cardiovascular system.
- For diabetes. Snake gourd can lower blood sugar levels in the blood and normally. The anti-diabetic in snake gourd can cure diabetes. Diabetics can consume snake gourd juice to cure diabetes. The low-calorie but high-nutrient of snake gourd makes it as favorite food as a source of antidiabetes, and can reduce the effects if the condition already exists.
- Body Detoxification: Snake gourd has been used as a diuretic in traditional medicine for many years, because it stimulates the heart and increases urination, thus speeding up the removal of toxins from the body. It also increases the creation of body fluids, which can eliminate dryness and dehydration, which also helps in the normal function of the kidneys and bladder. The juice of the leaves can also induce vomiting in case something poisonous has been consumed.
- Relieve Digestive problems: Children with intestinal problems has been given with snake groud to ease their discomfort, because it acts as a mild laxative. In addition, the high fiber content of snake gourd can help people with bowel disorders and can eliminate constipation, reduce cramps and bloating, and optimize the process of absorption of nutrients in the body.
- Preventing obesity. Obesity is one of the main signal oncoming diabetes, and take the function of snake gourd as food is a good choice because the effect is to make you feel satisfied without adding a lot of calories.
- Reduce Fever: In many tropical countries, a fever can be a serious danger to public health, regardless of the cause. Snakes gourd can turn into stew and given to people who suffer high fever.
- Coping with Asthma. Snake gourd taste is perceived by the senses of taste it can widen the airways. It is very good for health development in patients with asthma. For who suffer asthma, it is reccomended to consuming snake gourd.
- Respiratory system: Snake gourd serves as an expectorant, loosening pus and mucus in the sinuses and respiratory tract so that they can be removed. This further beneficial for the immune system, such as toxins and other foreign agents often get caught up in phlegm and mucus causing more serious conditions.
- During pregnancy often experienced with digestive disturbances. To overcome this, one way to do that is by consuming snake gourd regularly every day. Snake gourd contains high fiber that can help to avaid digestion.
- The juice of the leaves is very helpful in the management of alopecia, a disease of the scalp that leads to total or even partial hair loss. It’s juices should be utilized outwardly around the scalp for the treatment of this problem.
- Anti-cancer. There are very high content of antioxidants in snake gourd. Antioxidants are a lot of these can prevent cancer in your body.
- Immune System: Some studies have shown the snake gourd has antibiotic properties, and when combined with the level of antioxidant carotenoids and vitamin C is found in this vegetables can significantly improve our health overall. The specifics of what conditions the effects of antibiotics are the most useful for still subjects of research.
- Infusion of leaves is effective in the management of jaundice. It must be provided within 30 to 60 gram dose and stew together with coriander seed three times a day.
Beauty benefits of snake gourd
- Maintain skin beauty. Not only for health, snake gourd also can maintain healthy skin. For beauty, it can restore the brightness of the skin due to burning by the sun. snake gourd contains very high vitamin C so it can make the skin more beautiful and radiant.
- Hair Health: For people who suffer from alopecia, snake gourd is said to stimulate new hair growth and protects the weakened follicles of hair loss. This can be attributed to the rich mineral and vitamin content, especially high levels of carotene, which specialize in the care of skin and hair. It is also claimed that the snake gourd may reduce the frequency and intensity of dandruff.
- anti-aging. Snake gourd contains vitamin C. It is a natural antioxidant. Antioxidants combat and eliminate the harmful of free radicals. Antioxidants help to prevent wrinkles by slowing the aging process. It also protects the skin from damage by the sun’s ultraviolet rays.
- For shiny hair. to give the hair a natural sheen, mix a cup of fresh juice of snake gourd with yogurt and apply on the hair. Wash the hair after few time, to make hair looks shiny and beautiful.
- anti dandruff. Dandruff is a common problem and is mainly caused due to consumption of unhealthy foods and exposure to pollution. To counteract dandruff, you can try hair treatment with a mixture of snake gourd and caraway seeds. Perform this hair care for 1 month, to get rid of dandruff.
- Addressing itchy scalp. To combat the dry hair and scalp itch, rub a slice of snake gourd on the scalp and massage in a circular motion, then rinse with clear water. To relieve itching, apply the treatment with a mixture of snake gourd with avocado or banana as a hair mask and apply on the scalp. Do this at least once a week to get rid of the itching of the scalp.
- cope with greasy hair. Increased intake of oily foods can lead to the accumulation of excess oil on the hair. If you have oily hair, first, you have to limit your consumption of greasy foods. Apply a mixture of snake gourd juice and apple cider vinegar to remove excess oil on the hair.
Side Effects of snake gourd
Basically, snake gourd can lower blood sugar levels, but be careful when taking snake gourd to lower blood sugar, because a snake gourd can make a reduction in blood sugar, so it become too low.
How to serving
In India, snake gourd used as a vegetable curry that can be cooked on its own or even be filled with spices to suit your taste. you can cook it until boiled. Snake gourd also known as the snake gourd tomatoes in certain areas of the world. It is because when on the grounds the bright red pulp ripe round seeds like tomato pulp.