Deer is ruminant mammal. The main characteristic of this animal is the bone horns who grow every year, especially in the male deer. Deer is in Cervidae family. It is estimated that there are about 34 species of deer in the world. Although many choices of meat that can be consumed, but venison has many fans.
Venison Nutrition facts
Serving size 100 grams, contain:
- Calories 187cal and calories from fat 74cal
- Total fat 13g
- Saturated Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 98mg
- Sodium 78mg
- Protein 26g
- Calcium 1%
- Iron 19%
The good from this food is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin B6, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Zinc and Phosphorus, and a very good source of Protein, Niacin and Vitamin B12. But, the bad from this food is high in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol.
Venison Health Benefits
Deer meat contains protein and high iron also low in calories to good for our health. If we consume 4 ounces of venison every day, we fill up about 28.2% to 68.5% protein and iron daily needs. Regular supply of iron is very good for pregnant women and the middle of menstruation. For additional information, in 4 ounces of venison was only contains about 179 calories and 1.4 grams of fat. behind the sensation feels different than other meat, venison benefits can also be felt, including:
1. Lower testosterone levels
For men who have a weight problem or had cholesterol levels above normal, eating mutton or beef can be a severe dilemma. On the one hand, you need protein, fat and cholesterol from the meat, but the more you eat the higher your cholesterol and more fat in the abdomen. A study from University of Utah found that excessive fat can lower testosterone levels dramatically. So the safest meat for you may Venison is lower in fat and low cholesterol. Besides the protein content is also high so the deer could be influential in the formation of your muscles.
2. Prevent homocysteine
Venison is also known as a source of vitamin B 12 and B 6, that urgently needed to prevent the emergence of homocysteine. It is known that high levels of homocysteine in the body can damage blood vessels, contributing to the development and progression of atherosclerosis, diabetes, heart disease, and increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
Homocysteine is also associated with osteoporosis. A recent study found that osteoporosis more often suffered by women whose intake of vitamin B12 is less compared to those with normal B12 status. Vitamin B12 also helps to protect colon cells from the toxic effects carcinogenic, to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
3-5. Saturated fats benefits of venison
Many people thought that saturated fat is really required avoided because people think of saturated fat in the body will only trigger dangerous diseases, such as heart and stroke. Basically our body requires a certain amount of fat. While within the limits of fat consumption is not harmful to health (Benefits of saturated Fat).
For healthy people, the recommended intake of saturated fat less than 7% of daily caloric needs. If your daily calorie requirement of 2000 calories, the intake of saturated fats should be no more than 140 calories a day, equivalent to 16 grams of saturated fat a day. meaning that if your daily calorie needs in 2000 then consume meat remains safe, because venison only contains 4g of saturated fat, and will provide benefits in:
- Bone Health. One of the functions of saturated fat can be felt by your bones. When the levels of saturated fat in the body needed, a skeleton can be formed perfectly. Without you want to consume foods that contain saturated fat, of course, your bone health would be questionable. Hence, there is no harm in taking some of the foods that contain saturated fat, as long as you consume in accordance with its portion.
- Increase the body’s immune. Saturated fat function evidenced by people who live in the polar regions. Food can make the immune meat increases so they do not get sick easily.
- Protect important organs in the body, such as the liver from alcohol. Whose name alcohol is one of the substances that can make your body in danger. When you consume beverages containing alcohol, then your body organs especially the liver can experienced a disorder. There is one good way to protect your liver from alcohol is by consuming foods that contain saturated fats.
You can consume saturated fatty foods, as long as it is not too much. If consumed in accordance with the portion of health, instead of saturated fat would be beneficial for you.
6. Good for the heart
we should limit sodium intake of no more than 2,300 mg per day, which is equivalent to only about one tablespoon of salt. However, even though modest salt reduction, up to 300 mg per day, could lead to better health. especially on the heart and prevent stroke
To that end, avoid foods with high sodium content, and choose foods that are labeled ‘no added salt’ or ‘reduced sodium’. Make sure to carefully reading food labels and choose foods containing less than 5% of the daily salt intake is allowed.
7-14. Iron benefits from venison
Iron is a substance that the body needs for the formation of red blood cells and prevents anemia. Certainly, it will be difficult for you to measure the adequacy of daily iron because you can not memorize the content of iron in each food. In addition, despite the lack of iron can cause anemia and body can not function properly but the excess iron can also be harmful to the body.
The iron requirement depends on gender and age. Adequacy is recommended for:
- Children 2-6 years about7 mg/day,
- 6-12 years old about 8 mg/day,
- Male 12-16 years about1 mg/day, girls 12-16 years about 21.4 mg/day,
- Adult males about5 mg/day, adult women of childbearing age 18.9 mg/day, menopause about 6.7 mg/day, and lactation about 8.7 mg/day.
If we consume 4 ounces of venison every day, 28.2% to 68.5% iron daily needs will be filled up. The iron benefits for the body is:
- As muscle myoglobin. Iron is essential for muscle work, because iron is an important element who form of muscle myoglobin.
- Formation of Hemoglobin (Hb). This is the main function of iron, forming hemoglobin. Hemoglobin (Hb) is the main carrier of oxygen throughout the body and give the red color in erythrocytes. It is very important and always produced by the body because humans tend to lose blood through various causes such as the destruction of red blood cells because it was time broken, through cuts, wounds both inside and outside.
- Prevent anaemia. Anaemia can occur when a person who iron deficiency. To meet your iron needs can get it from the food you consume in the form of meat, green vegetables or dried fruit and venison.
- For brain development. Iron can Improve the brain development because the brain uses about 20% of blood oxygen.
- Energy metabolism. This involves the process of how energy is extracted from food consumed and then distributed throughout the body.
- Body Temperature. Iron is an essential facilitator to regulate body temperature, to keeping the body temperature will enable enzymatic and metabolic processes.
- The enzyme system. Iron is an important part of various enzymatic systems and other important as found in myoglobin, cytochrome and catalase. Without Iron, the organ systems will be hampered even stop completely.
- For pregnant women. During pregnancy a woman needs more iron than usual, this is due to iron deficiency during pregnancy can harm the mother and child.
Overdose of iron will trigger a variety of adverse side effects, including:
- Iron Poisoning like: Gag, Diarrhea, Stomach ache, Blood in the stool
- The color of the teeth, lips, palms and nails change
- Skin problems such as: Itchy, rash, Pale and sweaty, and Swelling of the mouth or throat
- Digestive Problems such as: Nausea, Gag, Constipation, Stomach ache and Diarrhea
- Other side effects include headache, fever, muscle and joint pain, Irregular heartbeat, blood clots, hair loss, drowsiness and weakness may also occur.
Danger of venison with High Cholesterol
If you have high levels of cholesterol. you should avoid eating meat, including venison. even when compared with beef and mutton, venison cholesterol in most low among many other meats. However not all cholesterol is bad for the body. However, only LDL cholesterol category is bad to body. Normal limits cholesterol in the body is 160-200 mg.
Everyone has cholesterol in the blood, where 80% is produced by the body and 20% from food. Cholesterol has produced consists of two types, HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. LDL cholesterol is the bad cholesterol, but HDL cholesterol is good cholesterol, which has the function of cleaning the blood vessel from excessive LDL cholesterol. High levels of HDL cholesterol which is a good sign along LDL cholesterol less than 150 mg/dl (Read : Health benefits of lobster & health benefits of chicken liver).
Why High cholesterol dangerous for us? Because high blood cholesterol is one of the risk factors that can lead to blockage of the coronary arteries that can lead to Coronary Heart Disease And Blockage of the blood vessels of the brain that can cause a stroke.
High cholesterol levels can lead to:
- Atherosclerosis, a narrowing or hardening of the arteries.
- The risk of coronary heart disease, abnormalities of blood vessels that supply blood and oxygen duty to heart
- Heart attack, occurs when the blood supply and oxygen to an area of heart muscle are blocked, usually by a clot in a coronary artery. This causes the heart muscle stops.
- Angina, chest pain or discomfort that occurs when the heart muscle does not get enough blood.
- Stroke, occurs when blood clots or venous in arteries, interrupting the flow of blood to the brain area. Can also occur burst blood vessels, so that the brain cells begin to die.
How to Serving the venison
We will talk about How to cook healthy venison. Here are some things you should consider in order to stay healthy venison for consumption:
- Separate the fat. Fat is usually attached to the venison, beef separate in order to be healthy. How to separate the fat from the meat of deer is quite easy, you just cut off the outside of the meat is white because it is fat.
- To consume venison healthily, you should use less oil and butter as both will increase the fat levels. Cooking uses the methods like steam, boiled, steamed, baked, or other cooking methods that do not use too much oil. With so venison processed you will stay healthy for your consumption.
- Choose Pieces Beef. Red deer meat is rich in iron, fatty acids, protein, zinc, selenium is beneficial for the health of your body. Avoid eating venison on the parts that contain a lot of fat, such as offal, skin and ribs.
- Use Low Sodium. Sodium is part of salt, do not use too much sodium because it will increase the flow and blood pressure that can make high blood pressure. We recommend that you use marinades of herbs, spices, or citrus aroma that will make your beef processed more tempting.