12 Health Benefits of Young Coconut Meat (Scientific Evidence)
Coconut is a multifunctional plant. There are so many benefits that can be gained from these plants, ranging from fruit, trees, leaves, wood and coconut water. Coconut also plays an important role in human life, both for the health and for the economic benefits to the community. For examples of the economic benefits, the coconut tree can be known from the number processed using basic materials coconuts or craft that utilize coconut shells. But in this article, we will discuss in more detail about the health benefits of young coconut meat. In addition, this article will discuss:
- Nutrient young coconut meat
- The health benefits of young coconut meat
- Risk of young coconut meat consumption
- The best way go consume young coconut meat
Coconuts which has the scientific name Cocos nucifera, which is included in the family of Palm/Arecaceae. This tree can grow well in tropical climates. Coconut has many types, there is a green coconut, brown and yellow. But generally differentiated into old coconut and young coconut. Old coconut typically have brown as dominant colour. Its usefulness is used for squeezed content by mothers who love to cook. Coconut meat is hard so mothers like to use to grind the coconut grated coconut meat. The water is also not as fresh as young coconut water. Generally older than 3 months. While the young coconut is generally have green-brown colour with age not more than 3 months.
Nutrition of young Coconut meat
There is a fundamental difference between the young coconuts with old coconuts views of the nutritional content, especially on the fat content. Old coconut meat contains more fat than the young coconut. Here’s the complete content of young coconut meat:
1. Young coconut meat is about 90% of saturated fatty acids and 10% of unsaturated fatty acids.
Although saturated fatty acids, but coconut oil has a carbon chain so it is easily digested by the body. The medium chain fatty acids is better than the long chain fatty acid because it can be directly digested in the intestines without hydrolysis and enzymatic processes. While oil has long carbon chains must go through several steps ahead to be processed in the human digestion before it can be absorbed through the intestinal wall several long process.
The medium chain fatty acids are also not converted into fat or cholesterol and does not affect blood cholesterol. And related benefits, medium chain fatty acids is capable of specifically as anti-function, anti-protozoal, anti-bacterial, and anti-virus.
2. That the young coconut meat is the good food Because very low in Cholesterol and Sodium and Also a very good source of Manganese.
But, this food is very high in Saturated Fat. Every a cup (80 grams) have nutrition content as follows:
- Calories 283 (1185 kJ)
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g Dietary Fiber is from 7.2 g
- Total Fat 26.8 g Saturated Fat is from 23.8 g and Total Omega-6 fatty acids is 293 mg
- Protein 2.9 g
- Vitamin C 2.6 mg
- Vitamin E 2.0 mg
- Vitamin K 0.2 mcg
- Thiamin 0.1 mg
- Niacin 0.4 mg
- Folate 20.8 mcg
- Pantothenic Acid 0.2 mg
- Calcium 11.2 mg
- Iron 1.9 mg
- Magnesium 25.6 mg
- Phosphorus 90.4 mg
- Potassium 285 mg
- Sodium 16.0 mg
- Zinc 0.9 mg
- Copper 0.3 mg
- Manganese 1.2 mg
- Selenium 8.1 mcg
Because of the many good nutrients contained in young coconut meat, so what are the benefits?
Young Coconut Meat Health Benefits
Currently there are coconuts on a range of one dollar, usually can be a seed. The prices are actually quite cheap if we already know what the content of the nutrients found in coconuts. You should know that in a cup of coconut meat contains enough calories, fiber, potassium and vitamin content can meet the daily intake that needed by the body in one day. Here are some uses of coconuts for our lives:
- Saturated Fat Content On Average Level
Are you sure you do not need saturated fats? You know it is good for human health. Questions like that probably comes to mind you. In The Philippine Journal of Cadiology, saturated fat in coconut meat can help lower bad cholesterol by increasing the amount of good cholesterol. Saturated fat in coconuts is classified as the type which is easy to be broken so it does not trigger the symptoms of high cholesterol.
Each cup of coconut meat contains 283 calories with the bulk was 26.8 grams of fat. Actually there are more than plant foods, but since the type of saturated fat is broken then it is not so trigger a rise in cholesterol. But an important note, if you have the risk of having high cholesterol or heart disease, it is advisable to consult with your doctor about the benefits of coconuts than risks.
- Coconut Rich Natural Fibers
Although only eat a little coconuts, a person will feel fuller for longer periods of time. This is because the coconut is a fruit that has a high fiber content. In 7.2 grams are sufficient 20 percent of daily fiber needs of a man. Fiber from young coconuts can help the digestive process and become a good diet to lose weight.
- Uses of Coconut Manganese Content
Perhaps some people feels strange with the manganese content that available on coconuts. Manganese is one source of minerals required by the body’s metabolism. Keeping the immune system and nerves are part of the benefits of coconut fruits for human health. In one cup of the coconut are sufficient at least 67 percent of our daily needs.
- Rich in Mineral Resources
In addition we also need the body manganese intake of other minerals such as potassium and copper. The good news is both the minerals found in coconuts. Benefits of coconuts if the value of potassium content is assessed using one cup is equivalent to 14 percent of potassium daily requirement recommended by health experts. In the cup also contains 39 percent copper is essential for red blood cell production. Currently coconut fruit is also known as the fruit that eliminates dehydration because the water contains minerals that are very much needed to replace lost body ion.
- Rich in Vitamin B
As well as the benefits of coconut water, coconut meat also has a lot of minerals and vitamin B. Benefits of young coconuts is very special because the content of vitamin B was instrumental in the formation of energy and the production of red blood cells.
- Low Calories
If you want to have diet and avoid cholesterol, you will find a benefits of coconuts there. If we compare with bananas, it is need 4 bananas to equal the potassium content that contained in one cup of coconut meat.
- For the production of red blood cells
Sometimes a person chooses to consume the meat of young coconut when compared to the old. The texture that is soft and chewy on the young coconut is the main attraction when consuming. Sure, young coconut meat better suited for consumption directly after drinking coconut water while coconut old meat suitably used for food ingredients or coconut milk. Benefits of young coconut meat is also not much different from the benefits of coconut water. The coconut meat known to contain sodium, potassium, fiber and vitamin B which is good enough for the production of red blood cells.
- To Diet
Young coconut meat is also suitable for daily diet menu if you want to quickly thin. The fiber content that is on the coconut meat will keep you full longer. Coconut fruit itself is safe for consumption of all ages, both young children and adults can enjoy it and get all the benefits of young coconut meat.
- Bone Health
Did you know that saturated fats turned out to have health benefits for your body, especially your bone formation. Yes, one of the functions of saturated fat can be felt by your bones. When the levels of saturated fat in the body needed, a skeleton can be formed perfectly. Without you want to consume foods that contain saturated fat, of course, your bone health would be questionable. Hence, there is no harm in taking some of the foods that contain saturated fat, as long as you consume in accordance with its portion.
- Increase the immune system
Have you heard that the people who live in cold areas such as the polar regions is very happy with the food like meat for food can keep himself warm. In fact, as you know, coconut meat is one example of foods that contain saturated fats. However, the function of saturated fat is also evidenced by the people who live in the polar regions. Foods such as young cococnut meat can be made immune to rise so they do not get sick easily. So, as long as you are consuming excessive saturated fat, your body’s health must be maintained.
- Protecting the vital organs in the body, such as the liver from alcohol.
Whose name alcohol is one of the substances that can make your body in danger. When you consume beverages that containing alcohol, then your body organs will gets a lot of disease especially the liver disorder. There is one good way to protect your liver from alcohol is by consuming foods that contain saturated fats. You can consume these fatty foods, as long as you do not overdose. If consumed in best proportion according to health, saturated fat instead will bring benefits to you.
- Contains an anti-oxidant
Antioxidants are substances that are also needed by the body, because these are play a role in the body as a substance that may protect cells from the harmful effects of free radicals. It turns out coconut meat is rich in antioxidants. Consuming coconut meat can overcome flatulence, prevent weight gain, and clean up toxins in the body.
Tips on Selecting a young coconut
Before serving young coconut, it’s good long ro know how to choose coconut:
- Check the skin. It’s basic vision, if the color of his skin had been brown coconut, of course it is not a young coconut. Choose the color of it’s skin is still fresh green to green coconuts, fresh and bright yellow to reddish yellow and brown coconuts.
- Check tip shell. See the end of the coconut shell there is a circle which signifies old or young, select which circles are not too wide in diameter, to find the young coconut.
- How ideal is to shake. If you hear the sound of the water whisk in it, then it means it is still fresh coconut. If you do not hear anything, then maybe it’s old coconut.
- Slap of the palm. If there is a vibration in it, then it contains coconut meat like mucus (the meat was thin and young to be eaten with a spoon). If the vibration in it is not too pronounced, it has a coconut meat that has been somewhat thick and hard (it took a little effort to scoop out the flesh)
Tips to serving young coconut meat
Basically, young coconut meat is served along with coconut water, here’s how to serve it:
The main ingredient
- Young coconut fruit: 1 piece
- Syrup: 1 bottle (for syrup, has functions as a sweetener, so if you have health problems associated with sugar, should be avoided)
- Ice cubes: as needed
How to make young coconut ice
- Choose the best young coconut. Coconuts should choose who already has a little flesh, so do not be too young and also not too old.
- When buying coconuts should not solved yet, just set it so easy to open at home. Before the break the coconuts should take coconut water and place them in a container that. Coconut water is a key of cococnut ice pleasure.
- Shopping coconuts in half with a machete or large knife. And scrape bit by bit and put it in a container. You can use the scrapings from a spoon can.
Then the way the to make a presentation of it is by take your glass or cup and insert tooth young coconut syrup, coconut water and ice cubes. It is ready to serve.