What is Zaatar? Zaatar is a food that has been famous in the Middle East which is made from a mixture of Thyme, Sesame Seeds, Sumac and Salt. It is a combination with a unique flavor. The way to make Zaatar very simple, just prepare this ingredients: 2 tablespoons of minced fresh Thyme, 2 tablespoons of Sesame, 2 teaspoons of ground Sumac and 1/2 teaspoon of coarse Salt. How to make it is very easy. Stir together all ingredients in a small bowl.
Although have a very simple way to make it, Zaatar have tremendous benefits for the body. Here’s the full benefits.
Benefits of Thyme in Zaatar
Thyme is low in sodium and very low in cholesterol. It is also a good source of Vitamin E, Magnesium, Copper, Zinc and Thiamin. It is very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin A, Folate, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Calcium, Iron and Manganese. Thyme in Za’atar- useful for:
- Bowel disease
- Good for digestion
- Shortness of breath
- Relieve asthma symptoms
- Reduces hay fever symptoms
- Reduce the inflammation of the throat
- Boosting the immune system
- Overcome the fungus Cryptococcus neoformans (causing meningitis)
- Reduce the risk of Cancer
- Lowers blood pressure
- For aromatherapy boost confidence
How Thyme in Zaatar can have many benefits?
Health benefits of lebanese zaatar could be the best for cough. Cough has become the key of benefits from this plant extracts with the Latin name Tyimus vulgaris. However, in it’s home country, it is a herbaceous plant used to treat flatulence, diarrhea, and diseases that attack the intestine because it gives a warm effect. Especially when combined with fatty meat, thyme excellent to fix digestive problems.
Usefulness against diseases associated with respiratory tract is not in doubt. In addition to cough, bronchitis and shortness of breath can also be overcome. Not surprisingly, a lot of cough syrup containing extracts of Thyme sold freely among constituent materials. Not only that, the plants were identified as many as 350 species is also believed to reduce the symptoms of Asthma, Hay fever symptoms, eases breathing, and reduces the discomfort due to colds and sore throats.
In 100 grams (in Zaatar, the content of thyme about 2 tsp or 2 grams) of dried Thyme, have nutrition facts as below:
- Calories 276 (1156 kJ) 14% DV, From Carbohydrate 192 (804 kJ), From Fat 62.2 (260 kJ), From Protein 22.2 (92.9 kJ), From Alcohol 0.0 (0.0 kJ)
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g or 21%, Dietary Fiber 37.0 g or 148%, Sugars 1.7 g
- Total Fat 7.4 g or 11%, Saturated Fat 2.7 g or 14%, Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 1.2 g, Total Omega-3 fatty acids 690 mg, Total Omega-6 fatty acids 500 mg
- Protein 9.1 g or 18%
- Vitamin A 3801 IU or 76%, Vitamin C 50.0 mg or 83%, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 7.5 mg or 37%, Vitamin K 1715 mcg or 2143%, Thiamin 0.5 mg or 34%, Riboflavin 0.4 mg or 23%, Niacin 4.9 mg or 25%, Vitamin B6 0.5 mg or 27%, Folate 274 mcg or 69%, Choline 43.6 mg,
- Calcium 1890 mg or 189%, Iron 124 mg or 687%, Magnesium 220 mg or 55%, Phosphorus 201 mg or 20%, Potassium 814 mg or 23%, Sodium 55.0 mg or 2%, Zinc 6.2 mg or 41%, Copper 0.9 mg or 43%, Manganese 7.9 mg or 393%, Selenium 4.6 mcg or 7%
- Phytosterols 163 mg
- Water 7.8 g and Ash 11.7 g.
Antiseptic properties in Thyme can cope the insect bites and burns. Meanwhile, the antifungal properties of Thyme confers resistance to the Fungus Cryptococcus neoformans, the main cause of inflammatory diseases of the brain (Meningitis) in people who have weak immune systems.
Nature also antibacterial against Salmonella typhimurium, Staphylococcus aureus, and Escherichia coli. In fact, some studies say that Thyme extract can increase Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids, thereby reducing the risk of cancer.
Thymus vulgaris can be processed to extract, by simplicia Thyme extract that has been processed into powder. Timi is already pulverized extracted using ethanol 70% in order to obtain a thick extract. In addition, it can also be processed into crude drug through the process of withering for four days. The extract can help remove phlegm.
Meanwhile, Thyme oil serves as a diluent phlegm or sekretolitik. Not limited to that, this oil is believed to lower blood pressure and stimulate the respiratory system if used as aromatherapy oils. To get the effect of aromatherapy, Thyme oil dripped into the water and inhaled vapor.
Thyme aromatherapy effects can improve self-esteem. The dose to consume as much as 1-2 g for adults, while for children is 0.5-1 g dry herb powder, then made herb herbal tea by put it in one cup of boiling water or mixed with food and other spices.
Benefits of Sesame Seeds in Zaatar
Sesame is very low in Cholesterol and Sodium, a good source of Iron, Calcium, Magnesium and Phosphorus. It is very good source of Copper and Manganese. It has health benefits to:
- Preventing diabetes mellitus
- Maintain skin health
- Overcoming anemia
- Maintaining bone health
- Keeping digestion
- Helps hair growth
- Relieve arthritis
- Reduce stress
How sesame seeds in Zaatar has benefits as above?
Sesame seeds are rich in nutrients including magnesium, which has been shown to prevent diabetes mellitus. In every 100 grams sesame seeds contains 351 mg of magnesium and super small seeds listed in the top 10 highest foods that contain magnesium. In addition, sesame also capable for lowering high blood pressure.
Sesame seeds enriched with zinc, which is an important mineral to make the skin look more radiant. To get this benefit, sesame seeds are often made into oil and applied to the skin. The benefits of sesame seed oil for skin health, among others:
- Helps maintain skin flexibility by keeping it soft
- Helps produce collagen
- Tighten the skin and shrink pores.
- Helps repair damaged areas of the skin and burns
- Prevents the appearance of wrinkles by preventing damage from UV rays
- Able to prevent skin cancer
Sesame seeds were able to overcome the disease of anemia or lack of blood diseases, as it has a high iron content, especially black sesame seeds. For those of you who have complaints anemia disease, it is advisable to consume sesame seeds, being able to cure anemia that you suffered.
Sesame is a good source of calcium, and is able to prevent bone problems. The study shows that some sesame seeds contains higher calcium content compared with half a glass of milk, and also the zinc content in sesame seeds is able to increase bone density.
Sesame seeds contain phytosterols that higher than other types of seeds and nuts, which are important compound for anti-cancer effects against cancer. You can only add one tablespoon of sesame seeds in your yogurt, cereal or salad, they can regulate your hormones naturally and do as a cancer-fighter, very useful for breast cancer.
Fill fiber made of sesame seeds useful to support a healthy digestive system and a healthy colon. For those of you who now may have less healthy backside system, consuming sesame seeds is one of the best alternatives to help your body’s digestive system.
In 100 gram of the dried sesame nutrition contains (in Zaatar, sesame contains about 2 tsb or 18 grams) are:
- Calories 573 (2399 kJ) or 29%, From Carbohydrate 95.8 (401 kJ), From Fat 416 (1742 kJ), From Protein 61.5 (257 kJ),
- Total Carbohydrate 23.4 g or 8%, Dietary Fiber 11.8 g or 47%, Sugars 0.3 g, Total Fat 49.7 g or 76%, Saturated Fat 7.0 g or 35%, Monounsaturated Fat 18.8 g, Polyunsaturated Fat 21.8 g, Total Omega-3 fatty acids 376 mg, Total Omega-6 fatty acids 21372 mg
- Protein 17.7 g or 35%
- Vitamin A 9.0 IU or 0%, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) 0.3 mg or 1%, Thiamin 0.8 mg or 53%, Riboflavin 0.2 mg or 15%, Niacin 4.5 mg or 3%, Vitamin B6 0.8 mg or 40%, Folate 97.0 mcg or 24%, Pantothenic Acid 0.1 mg or 1%, Choline 25.6 mg,
- Calcium 975 mg or 98%, Iron 14.5 mg or 81%, Magnesium 351 mg or 88%, Phosphorus 629 mg or 63%, Potassium 468 mg or 13%, Zinc 7.8 mg or 52%, Copper 4.1 mg or 204%, Manganese 2.5 mg or 123%, Selenium 5.7 mcg or 8%
- Phytosterols 714 mg
- Water 4.7 g and Ash 4.5 g
Sesame seed oil contains tons of nutrients such as omega-3, omega-6 and omega-9 that great for promoting hair growth. It is also rich in vitamins that feeds your hair. Have regular massage for your hair with sesame seed oil will give you a healthy scalp and hair. And sesame seeds, especially the famous black to dark quality, it is a good choice for people who want to have dark hair naturally. Hair massage treatment with sesame seed oil with olive or almond oil can be more helpful.
As has been stated that every 28 grams of sesame seeds contains 0.7 mg of copper, these minerals are highly beneficial for the antioxidant enzyme systems to strengthen joints and reduce pain from swelling due to arthritis. The content of nutrients in sesame seeds are able to eliminate stress, such as magnesium which can regulate the muscle function, to relax muscles, help to fill up the vitamin B1 needs (soothing) and used in treating depression and reducing excess stress.
Benefits of Sumac in Zaatar
Sumac in Zaatar contains Antioxidants and ORAC Value: 312.400 u mol TE / 100g. It is one of the bigges source. It is have ability to neutralize the free radicals that can cause of many diase, such as:
- heart disease, and
- signs of aging
- The anti-inflammatory diet
- Sumac have a positive effect on diabetes Patients, and
- The lower risk of cardiovascular disease Among of participants with type 2 diabetes.
Side effect of Zaatar and How to Keep it:
Materials zaatar, sesame seeds and thyme sugar is quite high, it is better to not consume it too much. Especially if you have high blood sugar levels. To keep Zaatar, take in the place that dry and tightly closed.